are Oakleys okay for office and daily wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by wannabelean, Dec 17, 2006.

1. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I have a friend who's able to pull of Oakleys with his office attire. This friend also wears Tommy Hilfiger head to toe.

What does this tell you? Yes, you can pull it off with the right aplomb, but you'll look incredibly dated as he does.

2. Newton

Newton Senior member

I have a friend who's able to pull of Oakleys with his office attire. This friend also wears Tommy Hilfiger head to toe.

What does this tell you? Yes, you can pull it off with the right aplomb, but you'll look incredibly dated as he does.

I'll believe it when I see it. [​IMG]

3. Max

Max Senior member

My computer science professor wears oakley frames with prescription clear lenses. I look at his glasses, not his face.

4. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

Tell you what, wear overalls, safety boots and a welders mask then, for all I care.

I was asked an opinion and gave it.

Personally I shall resist the urge to wear oakleys and make do with my old favourites.

PS you are right about one thing, I would not wear a Submariner.

5. Soph

Soph Senior member

Oakley with suits doesn't look good to me.
    Looks like a nascar racer or mountain climber going to a business meeting.

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

For what it's worth, I'd as soon wear Oakleys as any other sunglasses with a suit. It may be possible to wear a suit and sunglasses and not look like a frat boy but I have yet to see it done.

7. spertia

spertia Senior member

You can only wear Oakleys with a suit if you use the ones with the attached MP3 player:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Soph

Soph Senior member

You can only wear Oakleys with a suit if you use the ones with the attached MP3 player:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

What the hell.

9. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

A feeling will emerge soon after entering the office space that will compel you to remove your sunglasses.

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

For what it's worth, I'd as soon wear Oakleys as any other sunglasses with a suit. It may be possible to wear a suit and sunglasses and not look like a frat boy but I have yet to see it done.

There are times when sunglasses are appropriate with a suit. One occassion is at funerals. I suppose another may be where you are walking/driving somewhere outside on a very sunny day during work. For example, my office is close to the county courthouse, so if I have to walk there on a very sunny day I may throw on a pair of sunglasses when I hit the street (though, never Oakleys for the reasons expressed in this thread).

11. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

There are times when sunglasses are appropriate with a suit. One occassion is at funerals. I suppose another may be where you are walking/driving somewhere outside on a very sunny day during work. For example, my office is close to the county courthouse, so if I have to walk there on a very sunny day I may throw on a pair of sunglasses when I hit the street (though, never Oakleys for the reasons expressed in this thread).

Perhaps it is different here in Arizona, but if I step outside when the sun is up, even if it is cloudy, I am wearing sunglasses. It doesn't matter if I'm wearing a suit, jeans and a t-shirt or a tuxedo.

I just don't think Oakley's look good with suits - they project a more casual, sporty look. Lots of other brands would be better suited for you (pun not intentional).

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Perhaps it is different here in Arizona, but if I step outside when the sun is up, even if it is cloudy, I am wearing sunglasses. It doesn't matter if I'm wearing a suit, jeans and a t-shirt or a tuxedo.

I just don't think Oakley's look good with suits - they project a more casual, sporty look. Lots of other brands would be better suited for you (pun not intentional).

Could not agree more. I think you may have mistaken me for the thread starter. I was only saying that sometimes sunglasses are appropriate with suits, but I agree with you that Oakleys are never appropriate with a suit.

13. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

people are wearing sunglasses in the office? [​IMG]
    Well, if you're making a lot of photocopies and that top lid thingy isn't working right, I can see how it would make sense.

14. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

go check out Fellini's 8 1/2

15. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

go check out Fellini's 8 1/2

[​IMG]