• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Nuts Tacky?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a small gathering recently, and had put out various types of nuts early in the evening for guests to munch on. At one point, an acquaintance held up a dish, gave me an obnoxious look and asked "Nuts? You're serving... nuts? Classy." and sort of snickered. I asked what he meant, but he just kind of rolled his eyes. He's someone I don't know well -- a friend of a friend -- but I know he has a tendency to be laughably pretentious and obnoxious, so I tend to think he was just being his usual weird self. But is it 'tacky' to serve nuts at a gathering? This wasn't anything formal, just a casual dinner party. And yes, there were spoons in the bowls.
smile.gif

Anyway, what is your favorite nut?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
I had a small gathering recently, and had put out various types of nuts early in the evening for guests to munch on. At one point, an acquaintance held up a dish, gave me an obnoxious look and asked "Nuts? You're serving... nuts? Classy." and sort of snickered. I asked what he meant, but he just kind of rolled his eyes. He's someone I don't know well -- a friend of a friend -- but I know he has a tendency to be laughably pretentious and obnoxious, so I tend to think he was just being his weird. But is it 'tacky' to serve nuts at a gathering? This wasn't anything formal, just a casual dinner party. And yes, there were spoons in the bowls.
smile.gif

Anyway, what is your favorite nut?

I'd have kicked the bastard in the nuts and booted his ass out.

My favorite: Almond.

almondl.jpg

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put a few down but my favourite are green hazelnuts. Yum yum!

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cashews.

I don't think nuts are very tacky at all. When I go to a party that has snacks set out, I prefer the 'manly classics' like nuts, crackers with good cheeses and sausages, chips and home made salsa/guacamole, etc. as opposed to whatever prissy or pretentiously-hip foods your 'guest' is probably used to.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I'll second almonds.

As for tacky, I dont' think so. The friend was probably thinking of some dive bar that serves greasy nuts in a dirty bowl while you drink cheap beer. If it's just a casual get-together, I see nothing wrong with it as long as it goes with the rest of the evening. You're just giving your guests something to munch on before dinner.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serving nuts at a party is not tacky. On the other hand, insulting the host of the party is very tacky.

I voted for cashews.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nuts - love 'em. Favorites: for munching - cashews, peanuts, pitachios, almonds; cooking - walnuts, hazelnuts. FYI - I think filberts are the same thing as hazelnuts.

Put a 1/3 pound each of peanuts, cashews, pecans, almonds and hazelnuts on a baking sheet and 'toast' @ 350 degrees for ten minutes, shaking occasionaly...

Melt a 1/3 stick of butter. In a small bowl mix some salt(2 tsps), brown sugar(2 tsps), cayenne pepper (1 tsp) & finely chopped rosemary (2 tbs). - add melted butter and stir

Toss toasted nuts w/ the spiced butter and serve warm.

Serve this to the wiseass & shut him up real fast...

Earthmover

Reaction score
That guy was a jackass. And there's nothing really more tacky. But for good measure, I would have kicked his nuts, and ask him whether that was classy.

As for actual nuts, they are all created equal, but some are more equal than others. I think if you want to go look at the classy chart, it goes something like:

1. Macademia
2. Chest
3. Brazil, Almond, Hazel, Pine, Filbert
4. Wal, Cashew
5. Pea (in shell)
6. Pea (out of shell)

I'm probably leaving a few out. But that's my view. Feel free to adjust or add as necessary.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1.Pecans (especially in a pie)
2.Cashews
3.Any others (let's not get smart) well salted

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
deez

Hahahaha

That guy was a jagoff though. I can't pick a favorite -- the only ones I don't like are cashews.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earthmover
1. Macademia 2. Chest 3. Brazil, Almond, Hazel, Pine, Filbert 4. Wal, Cashew 5. Pea (in shell) 6. Pea (out of shell)
I'm curious as to why you put macadamia at the top of the chart. Is it just the tropical/exotic appeal, or is there something else that makes them more classy?

Earthmover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
I'm curious as to why you put macadamia at the top of the chart. Is it just the tropical/exotic appeal, or is there something else that makes them more classy?

I think it's mostly the cost -- and the fact that many hotels use them for their nefarious ripoff methods (albeit covered in chocolate). But the list was spontaneous and very much in the spirit of lighthearted jesting.

My favorite is the Chestnut, which is not on the poll. I have abstained. (yes, it's not really a nut, but if we're including peanuts and almonds...)

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young

Pure class nut - they serve them @ the Plaza!

"Morty: Hey! This is the kind of room Sinatra stays in. Hey! look , Macadamian nuts.

Helen: Macadamian nuts?

Morty: Hey! You know what these cost, they're like 80 cents a nut."

laugh.gif

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I think I would've abandoned the high moral ground and dropped some SF science and put his ass in its place. E.g.: "You're wearing _____ with _____. Sophisticated..." or "______ in July? Hmmm..." or perhaps, "Oh, is that a Boss suit? I'm so sorry..."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads