1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are Nuts Tacky?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Quirk, Jul 5, 2006.

1. tangerine

tangerine Senior member

I would have told him he was welcome to go out and get some caviar to rectify the situation. That would be the Beluga or Osetra of course.

Pistachio gets my vote, but I love walnuts and cashews as well.

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I remember as a young lad when we would go up into the mountains to collect hazelnuts. Those were the days...

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Many of the best hotel bars serve mixed nuts(sans peanuts). Good to see you use a serving spoon, I wish more places would. The Ritz and the Four Seasons don't, but they'll give you a fresh bowl if you ask.

4. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

I think that you have to take the source into consideration. I don't know your friend, but when I think of times that I have heard people make comments such as this it is generally not from the most "classy" of individual. Pretentious maybe, but not who I would consider with class.

I agree with the earlier sentiment that what was truly "unclassy" was this guy receiving your hospitality and making a comment about it.

My momma didn't raise me that way...

K

5. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Brazil nuts suck.

6. stach

stach Senior member

I was in a similar situation once. I told my friend that I had no interest in being around his friend (the jerk) ever again. Situation solved!

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Funny about the word "classy." You really don't hear people from the upper classes use it.

A similar phrase I find curious is "no class," as in "He's got no class." Certainly he does. It's just decidedly lower.

8. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I really enjoy eating spicy peanuts. The hotter the better.

9. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

For people like this we have the ignore function.

10. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Ok, thanks for the reality check everyone. I did pretty much chalk it up to him having one of his 'odd' moments, but for some reason, it did trigger a little neurotic second-guessing. Not that I'm a beluga and foie gras type of guy anyway. [​IMG]

And thanks for participating in the stupid/whimsical poll.
    [​IMG]

11. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Yes, you should tell him that you have taken a poll of the most stylish guys on the Internet and they have validated your nut choice!!!

That should shut him up. [​IMG]

K

12. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

I love all nuts, but if I have to pick a fave, it's the cashew. And, cashew butter is superb!

13. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Sometimes, you feel like a nut; sometimes, you don't.

14. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

I vote for pistachios followed by walnuts and pecans.

Don't really care for cashews, but that's just me.

Oh - and your friend's statement was just stupid.

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

The macadamia is just so awesome I sometimes wonder why people even bother with lesser nuts.

16. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

The macadamia is just so awesome I sometimes wonder why people even bother with lesser nuts.

It's the richest nut(and priciest), when you split one in half it just oozes oil. MMMMMMMMMMM

17. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

I'm sure it's possible to serve "tacky nuts" at a party --perhaps cheep 'beer nuts' at a high end affair, or peanuts in the shell with no receptacle for the shucked shells.

However, setting out the classics is always acceptable, and in my book a wonderful idea. A few roasted and salted cashews to accompany a whiskey or cocktail is a perenial favorite.

As others have pointed out, if you want to "take it up a notch" you can "dress up" your nuts by doing a little prep work. Additionally, you can find "pre--dressed" nuts, like roasted Spanish almonds with rosemary that are a hit at any party. This is one way of serving nuts without serving simple "mixed nuts" from a 10 lb. Costco tub.

As others have pointed out, the only "tacky nut" here was the fellow who spoke out of line to his host!

18. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Pine nuts don't get enough love. They tend to be used only for cooking but I think they're good to eat straight. They are also quite expensive -- not as expensive as macadamias -- if you want to flaunt your wealth.

19. Earthmover

Earthmover Senior member

I am surprised that there hasn't been that much jibber-jabber over my nut rankings.

I also wanted to make a joke about tacky nuts and exercising, but I stopped myself.

20. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I am surprised that there hasn't been that much jibber-jabber over my nut rankings.

I also wanted to make a joke about tacky nuts and exercising, but I stopped myself.

Heh. Just don't use steroids when you exercise, or you end up with tiny tacky nuts.