1. Hi. We moved systems, and because it was impossible to achieve feature parity between the systems, we opted to archive the old B&S threads but allow users to read them so that they can put them into our new B&S system.

There is a support thread if you have any issues.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are non cuffed trousers okay in a 3 piece suit?

Discussion in 'B&S Archive' started by Fashionslave, May 17, 2005.

1. Fashionslave

Fashionslave Senior member

Gentlemen,here's my quandry.(Manton,if you could weigh in on this,that would be great).I'm considering buying a used ,(very nice.)bespoke Savile Row suit from a person who is not as tall as me.In all other respects,jacket,shoulders,sleeves,the suit is fine.It's just that he has a 30" inseam,whereas mine is 32".Therefore, to increase the inseam to my size,I would need to lose the turnups ,or cuffs.(Incidentally,this is a dressier striped cloth,not a country tweed).Is it okay to have non-cuffed trousers with a 3 piece suit?Chances are I won't wear the vest most of the time.Which brings me to another question.Is it more proper to wear a vest in daytime or evening,or does it really matter?

2. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I think it's perfectly fine, though you didn't mention anything more about the trousers. Are they pleated?

3. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I used to say cuffs always. Now I say cuffs most of the time.

Cuffless is easier to pull off with flat fronts and more tapered ankles. But a standard taper and pleated front pant can carry it off sometimes as well.

If you miss the weight of the cuff, your tailor can sew a strip of cloth on the inside that will serve the same purpose.

4. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Senior member

On this general point, are people able to get the creases out of the pants (jacket sleeves too) when they are lengthened?

I had a dry cleaners tell me "no way."

Thanks