• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the tie.

Completely the opposite for me. I prefer this particular collar without the tie. The collar is so large, it dwarfs the tie knot, whereas it works open-necked, when the collar seems to be more in place.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These shirts are wonderful in that they look good with or without a tie. You can have them with longer or shorter collar points, with or without buttons, in whatever fabric they have in stock.

物の哀れ

Reaction score
Some more suit sans tie fits that I like:

2020-09-17_10-52-35_UTC_2.jpg

2021-04-04_17-05-26_UTC.jpg

2020-12-08_16-24-55_UTC.jpg
2021-07-19_15-56-22_UTC.jpg

2019-07-12_11-47-28_UTC_2.jpg
2021-08-02_15-57-35_UTC.jpg
2021-07-29_19-11-06_UTC_2.jpg
2021-05-04_10-49-36_UTC_3.jpg
2021-03-12_14-11-34_UTC_2.jpg

2021-03-23_11-09-05_UTC_1.jpg

oldboy-roof-oh-dae-su-332793798.jpg

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some more suit sans tie fits that I like:
I like the seersucker look but most of these I don't really care for. A suit without socks just looks awful to me. And the shirt that's a combo between a polo and oxford. But it's just my opinion. I still prefer a world of variety where people aren't all cookie-cutter - look at a photo from the 1930s and everyone is dressed exactly the same. That's boring. I think part of the issue for older people is we grew up seeing a suit and tie - so seeing the same style suit being worn without tie (or without socks) just looks completely alien. But, for someone that doesn't have any background seeing suits/ties or wearing them it's not as much an issue. All in all I'd rather have variety in men's style even if I personally don't like certain looks.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the ones with turtlenecks are great: SB fine; DB excellent. I still find some of those who've got extra shirt buttons undone look like they are really trying too hard for the sprezzatura and end up saying 'look, I really, really, really didn't just take my tie off when I left the office, it's meant to look like this.' If you are going to do this, do what Mr Seersucker does, and wear a bandana or something: he looks like he means it. As for the polo + suit look, this often just makes me laugh, and not just because I hate polos: quite frankly, the bald dude with the teal suit looks like he's wearing his pajamas underneath; he'd be better off with a T-shirt. Personally, I'd go for a popover over a polo every time.

Reactions: RSS

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm surprised Coggins takes such an old-school view while at the same time endorsing companies such as Sid Mashburn, Drake's, and J. Mueser, who are all very forward-facing companies.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised Coggins takes such an old-school view while at the same time endorsing companies such as Sid Mashburn, Drake's, and J. Mueser, who are all very forward-facing companies.

What's old school about it? He's got it right, really. He's arguing against the CM casual thing, and the Midtown uniform, both of which you've also argued against. Don't try to wear shirts that designed for ties without ties. Don't wear pressed chinos. Don't wear fleece vests. There are some things I disagree with him on (like sneakers), but in general he's arguing for coherence while dressing down - which for most people is what they need to hear, and it will help. And the stores he mentions are pushing exactly that.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's old school about it? He's got it right, really. He's arguing against the CM casual thing, and the Midtown uniform, both of which you've also argued against. Don't try to wear shirts that designed for ties without ties. Don't wear pressed chinos. Don't wear fleece vests. There are some things I disagree with him on (like sneakers), but in general he's arguing for coherence while dressing down - which for most people is what they need to hear, and it will help. And the stores he mentions are pushing exactly that.

So the big change here is to wear chinos, but not chinos with a crease, and to have a button-down collar instead of a spread collar? I agree those choices are better, but it still feels like vaguely the same look.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the big change here is to wear chinos, but not chinos with a crease, and to have a button-down collar instead of a spread collar? I agree those choices are better, but it still feels like vaguely the same look.

so what do you disagree with in his take?

if you eliminate jeans from the discussion, what would you do differently in terms of something to wear to work? The look is the look because there just aren’t that many realistic options.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
so what do you disagree with in his take?

if you eliminate jeans from the discussion, what would you do differently in terms of something to wear to work? The look is the look because there just aren’t that many realistic options.

I agree, it's not a good situation. If you insist on blending in, it's basically some version of that look. I agree there are better and worse ways to do that look, but the look itself is not very inspiring.

I recently interviewed two people who work in business casual environments. One wears the most insane Kapital, Bode, Needles types outfits. The other wears sport coats with jeans. I prefer those solutions, but they will make you stand out more.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's not a good situation. If you insist on blending in, it's basically some version of that look. I agree there are better and worse ways to do that look, but the look itself is not very inspiring.

I recently interviewed two people who work in business casual environments. One wears the most insane Kapital, Bode, Needles types outfits. The other wears sport coats with jeans. I prefer those solutions, but they will make you stand out more.

Jeans aren’t considered appropriate for business casual at any employer I’ve ever had. Only on “jeans Friday”. I don’t mind this, because I probably wouldn’t wear jeans to work under any circumstances.

I just think you’re generally stuck being boring unless you’re willing to wear a sport coat and stick out. Nobody even wears sweaters to my office in colder months.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is just the CM idea of being a bit naughty.

It's not supposed to be naughty? Jeans plus a sport coat isn't meant to be subversive, but rather normie. It's a way to dress down a tailored jacket in a business casual environment.

I think @mossrockss dresses really well and many of his outfits would work in a business casual environment. If someone doesn't like wearing jeans, they can wear chinos or tailored trousers. But the point of the outfit is the tailored jacket. I prefer this:

175193683_489501342194490_4351036200136753714_n.jpg

Over this:

02business-casual-09-superJumbo.jpeg

Coggins' point is that you can dress down even further. I guess I agree? But chinos are chinos; a button-up shirt is still a button-up shirt. I think you're fine with his outfit prescription, but it doesn't feel that far from the outfits outlined in that NYT article. The distinguishing point is ... his recommendation of a chore coat. Which is a trendy item (I'm fine with trendy items). Just saying that switching from a spread collar shirt to a button-down shirt, sneakers to loafers, creased chinos to non-creased chinos is a level of fine-tuning that's going to make a minimal impact. IMO, the person would be better off either just wearing a sport coat or dressing casually (like, actually casually and not this smart-casual stuff).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads