• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those who have not been wearing a tie, what is your preferred shirt to wear? Brand? Material? Is it lightweight?
As to weight much depends upon the time of year and the weather in general. As to brand, I have a maker in London. I sometimes furnish my own cloth if he doesn't have what I want. In winter I have a thing for light colored brushed cotton checks (a puppy tooth for example, or a small gingham) ... and they can be hard to find in a winter cloth.

Last edited:

Sir Jack II

Reaction score
When I was younger I loved arguing. Perhaps it's why a few of my closer friends are lawyers (mostly retired now). But as I grew older I developed a preference for expressing my opinion and getting on with life.

I do like those tan Carmina brogues. But I would not wear them with a blue suit. Tan perhaps.
It seems like you've also learned to express your opinion once, and not constantly repeat it at every opportunity.

I wish that on everyone.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It seems like you've also learned to express your opinion once, and not constantly repeat it at every opportunity.

I wish that on everyone.
As I'm 70 I have started forgetting things. Let us hope this tendency to refrain from repeating does not change. ;-)

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do love the story about the guy at your school serving afternoon tea. That’s back when people gave a damn about things.

I always attributed the biggest factors for the dumbing down of America to be business casual attire and McDonald’s. But the failure to fully grasp an afternoon tea service might also belong on that list.

Business casual and McDonalds; interesting. Might it also be changes in education, language, manners, ethics, and so much more? And while there are things about the past I mourn, there are things about the present I truly appreciate. Things are much more egalitarian today than they were "back when" ... even if we are talking about a decade as recently as the 60's. I mean top private schools were really only beginning to accept a more diverse student body. That is certainly for the better. And is it really all a dumbing down? We no longer live in an age when everyone at the top firm in town is from a wealthy and well connected Episcopalian or Jewish family that afforded him (rarely a her in those days) every opportunity. Not everyone has had the same worldly experiences.

As for "the guy" ... I might say the fellow, the man or the gentleman (I'm guessing I'm a fair amount older than you). He was a professional waiter and had been all his life. We aren't talking someone who did the job until something better came along. He took pride in his work. Some called him a butler but as he was hired only for the tea service, that wasn't really his role. By evening he worked at a nearby quality restaurant.

When I'd run into him in town -- usually on a Sunday -- I'd ask him to sit and talk when he had the time. We'd sometimes take refreshments at a nearby cafe. At first it was awkward but in time any uneasy feeling disappeared. Once he shared that he'd always had a dream of eating at a particularly noteworthy restaurant in The City. I asked him to go with me. At first he said no, but he ultimately agreed. We went on his evening off. I learned a lot that evening ... and not just about dining ... about life in general.

I considered Mr. E a friend from that day forward.

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derbies came up in another thread and I realized I don’t own any. Dress shoes are all
Oxfords and Brogues. Have shifted toward loafers (feet having seen lots of actions so to speak).

That makes the two of us. I took a look and saw the same. The exceptions are some double monks and loafers on my side.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Derbies came up in another thread and I realized I don’t own any. Dress shoes are all
Oxfords and Brogues. Have shifted toward loafers (feet having seen lots of actions so to speak).
Some years back there was a SF poll as to which type of shoe -- Oxford or Derbey -- we prefer. We were able to see how each member voted and many of those I considered to be among the best dressers -- Iammatt for example -- leaned toward Derbies. That didn't surprise me.

To this day I won't wear an Oxford unless I'm in a suit. With a coat and odd trouser ... it's a Derby.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who have not been wearing a tie, what is your preferred shirt to wear? Brand? Material? Is it lightweight?
There are several companies that make a one-piece convertible collar, but I’ve had the most success with 100 Hands. Here is the same outfit worn with and without a tie (swipe to see the different pics).

emptym

Reaction score
So you're saying it's a "fact" that wearing derbies means you have medical foot issues? I just want to be clear that I get your point.
yes.
everyone knows that. The whole history of the derby is as a dressy alternative that can alleviate foot problems.
Not everyone. In fact, you are the only person I've ever heard say this. In addition to the members in this thread and others who have pushed back against this "rule" you've espoused, the large number of companies selling non-orthopedic derbies (often made on the same lasts as their oxfords) stands in contrast.
Some years back there was a SF poll as to which type of shoe -- Oxford or Derbey -- we prefer. We were able to see how each member voted and many of those I considered to be among the best dressers -- Iammatt for example -- leaned toward Derbies. That didn't surprise me.

To this day I won't wear an Oxford unless I'm in a suit. With a coat and odd trouser ... it's a Derby.
+1

vida

Reaction score
There are several companies that make a one-piece convertible collar, but I’ve had the most success with 100 Hands. Here is the same outfit worn with and without a tie (swipe to see the different pics).

I prefer the tie.

bertie

Reaction score
Have not read the whole thread but what happened to bow ties? I still wear once or twice a month and with formal(ish) wear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads