• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My take away from all this is that while ties may well be relegated to certain occasions (or if people just want to wear them), the suit is not going away at all. In fact I’m amazed at the way it continues to evolve: it can be skewed formal, casual, with or without a tie, yeehaw, Mod, and so on.

I love ties, but boy, I really love suits.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@物の哀れ who are these two people? I dig their style

Also, what app or website are you using to download photos? I noticed that they're labeled with sources, which I assume came from IG. But not all IG photo download apps tag their files like this. The tags seem useful

2020-06-28_14-13-14_UTC.jpeg
Photo by Giulietta on August 27, 2020. (1).jpg

物の哀れ

Reaction score
@dieworkwear, the first is Walé and the second is Giulietta.

I'll write up my workflow in detail, but in short:
  1. I save images in Instagram.
  2. I use Instaloader to regularly bulk download my saved photos.
  3. I use a script that I wrote to:
    • embed the user identifier and tags from Instagram, and
    • embed the tags from Google's Vision API.
  4. I add the images to Eagle which lets me create collections and search by tag.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear, the first is Walé and the second is Giulietta.

I'll write up my workflow in detail, but in short:
  1. I save images in Instagram.
  2. I use Instaloader to regularly bulk download my saved photos.
  3. I use a script that I wrote to:
    • embed the user identifier and tags from instagram, and
    • embed the tags from Google's Vision API.
  4. I add the images to Eagle which lets me create collections and search by tag.

Wow, that's great. Sound like it requires some technical chops that I don't have, but it seems like a much better way to organize files.

I download everything and then just save the images in folders, which are labeled as certain topics (e.g. suits, sport coats, spring, fall, outerwear, etc). But this brute method means that it takes me forever to find a file, as nothing is meaningfully tagged, and I have a hard time remember where I got an image unless it's of a well-known person.

Really dig those two IG accounts, esp Giulietta.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cover of WSJ this morning. Saw it as I walking out of my building this morning in the paper stack piled by the door.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look very unkempt and somewhat sloppy. Can only assume that's the look they were going for.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look very unkempt and somewhat sloppy. Can only assume that's the look they were going for.

They're also worth WAY more than the $20 million I mentioned above, so presumably they give no ***** about how they're perceived. At least I hope they don't.

Jari

Reaction score
I am a real fan of wearing ties. Especially knitted ones. I wear them regurarly, but most of the time casually, chino, shirt cardigan/waistcoat/vest.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed here, in addition to the lack of innovation in suits themselves, which Derek and I were discussing earlier, is the fact that most of the looks without ties are falling back on conventional collars, which were designed for ties. Of course there are others. Some of the best ones here use button-down collars with a lot of roll, which gives more visual interest, and @UrbanComposition has mentioned the design of the collars of his shirts being dual purpose, but he vast majority of collars here are just a variety if standard dress shirt collars. Now we know that turtle neck sweater are a good no-tie look with suits, as are some combinations of T-shirt and suit, so why aren't people following the same principles with shirts and thinking no collars, band collars, stand collars, nehru collars, mandarin collars, double collars, large (70s type) collars - all the variations which are specifically designed for use without ties? Are these too avant-garde, too foreign, too what? I have quite a few shirts with different collars (specifically band and stand collars and double collars) and I wear them with suits and they work.

You have a point, but I think there are also good reasons to use conventional shirts for the tieless look: a missing tie lends the outfit a certain dégage air. Whereas a shirt designed to go sans tie may make the outfit look a little too put together when worn with a suit, unless it's a really casual shirt (hence the trend for aloha shirts with suits--something I can't pull off, but which does look great on some people, at least to my eye).

Star Equity

Reaction score
I really hope not. I work in the IT-industry and do not really need to wear suit at work but I do anyway because I like it. And wearing a suit requires a necktie! Period.

What is a shame is that people are starting to wear a suit without a tie! At least in Europe. Feels like people have forgotten have to wear a suit which is sad.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy on the right is Robert Mowry, a long-time art curator at Harvard. I assume he's not worth 20 million, as people generally don't make that much money in academia. But who knows.

Jeffery (the guy on the left) is an art writer. He used to post on this board, but not anymore. He has a very outlandish, 1970s Texan, illicit smuggler look. I love it. It fits him, his occupation, and his lifestyle.

Mowry is also generally well-dressed. But he wouldn't look right in the kind of fashion-forward stuff worn by George or Jeffery. It's just not his vibe, for lack of a better term.

View attachment 1645585 View attachment 1645587 View attachment 1645586

I've been interested in getting a watch that I can wear with my casualwear, which is mostly workwear nowadays. I talked to George about it once and told him I'm interested in buying a Sub. He said that he thinks I should get a Rolex Explorer 1016 instead, as he thinks it suits my personality better. I'm not that hung up on the idea of dressing for one's "true self" and am fine wearing things that are just fun. But I recognize that sometimes things just don't fit a person's vibe.
Mr. Mowry achieves a museum grade Harvard art curator look, and we would expect no less.

The Sub brings the swagger to SWD, but I would tend to agree with your friend that the 1016 might be a better match for you:

-Given the investment, I would value a model that could be used broadly, across menswear categories. The Explorer bridges SWD and CM better.

-4mm make a big difference. At 6’, 175, with a 7.375 wrist, a 40 mm sports watch is the max that I think gives a balanced look on my wrist.

-The Sub is such a visible, recognizable, and emotionally charged, cultural artifact that sometimes it can seem that it is wearing the man, rather than the other way around. More realistically, it sometimes draws so much attention that it can distract attention from the rest of the outfit. The 1016 blends in, it is a better ensemble player, IMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics