• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes; I’m familiar with the AA illustrations as they’ve been referred to here. Lighten up….just breaking your balls.

Breaks my heart to see someone refer to Will from ASW as "the first guy." I once posted screenshots of ASW on here and someone said it was a "random blog."

Wearing a tobacco linen suit today with a light blue OCBD and no tie. Earlier this week, I wore a brown cotton and tan gabardine suit. Both times without a tie. I think it's fine.

twclark3

Reaction score
I hope that never comes to be a fashion. Looks ridiculous to me.
Well, just to report I get lots of positive feedback when I wear one, for instance at weddings, dinner and cocktail parties, etc. It's a cool conversation piece and there are lots of possible looks which you can see at the image page linked above in my reply to FlyingMonkey (I'd post it again but Smitty is on my case). Not to worry: given the conservatism of men's fashion, it's very unlikely to take off. But I will persist in my folly!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaks my heart to see someone refer to Will from ASW as "the first guy." I once posted screenshots of ASW on here and someone said it was a "random blog."

Wearing a tobacco linen suit today with a light blue OCBD and no tie. Earlier this week, I wore a brown cotton and tan gabardine suit. Both times without a tie. I think it's fine.

yeah, sorry I don’t know every fashion blogger out there. I have a day job. Perhaps someone can mend your broken heart though.

brown cotton and tan are casual colors and I’m fine with that not being worn with a tie. Again, see my reference above as to the trend I’m referring to.

Perhaps this is the rich, white guy version of the former hip hop fashion trend of not wearing laces on your sneakers or your pants dropping over your ass. The hacks at the jail took his tie so he wouldn’t hang himself after he was booked for double parking the Bentley.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah, sorry I don’t know every fashion blogger out there. I have a day job. Perhaps someone can mend your broken heart though.

brown cotton and tan are casual colors and I’m fine with that not being worn with a tie. Again, see my reference above as to the trend I’m referring to.

Perhaps this is the rich, white guy version of the former hip hop fashion trend of not wearing laces on your sneakers or your pants dropping over your ass. The hacks at the jail took his tie so he wouldn’t hang himself after he was booked for double parking the Bentley.

I rarely wear formal suits, so I don't really care either way. When I wear a formal suit, it's for a wedding or a funeral. And in both cases, I would wear a tie because of the occasion.

I think someone can look good in a business suit without a tie so long as it fits their environment. If you wear a formal suit to the office, my guess is that you probably work in an environment that requires a tie. If you elect to not wear a tie, then I'd question whether you look good in a business suit given the environment. That said, everyone has a different background and works in different circumstances, so I would just leave it to them.

Personally, I think the impact of a tailored look is almost entirely in the cut and silhouette. If you wear a crappy suit, wearing a tie is not going to make it better. If you're wearing an amazing suit, then you can wear it without a tie and it will still look good.

Clooney's suit pictured above is not very good.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely wear formal suits, so I don't really care either way. When I wear a formal suit, it's for a wedding or a funeral. And in both cases, I would wear a tie because of the occasion.

I think someone can look good in a business suit without a tie so long as it fits their environment. If you wear a formal suit to the office, my guess is that you probably work in an environment that requires a tie. If you elect to not wear a tie, then I'd question whether you look good in a business suit given the environment. That said, everyone has a different background and works in different circumstances, so I would just leave it to them.

Personally, I think the impact of a tailored look is almost entirely in the cut and silhouette. If you wear a crappy suit, wearing a tie is not going to make it better. If you're wearing an amazing suit, then you can wear it without a tie and it will still look good.

Clooney's suit pictured above is not very good.

the work place is entirely different and I’m of the opinion that the professional environment is not where you want to express yourself.

I’m more focused on the suit being worn socially. Weddings and funerals have their own rules.

Going out to dinner? Again, why force a formal suit to be something it’s not.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following up on my reply to Ben above, here's the concept - the Sola tie or "untie"

Good luck to you, but IMHO that looks bad. In any instance I would think of something like an 'untied tie', I would go for a scarf (or a cravat, if I was thinking more traditionally). Or just don't wear a tie. I can't see that this idea works at all.

And please stop spamming the forum.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the work place is entirely different and I’m of the opinion that the professional environment is not where you want to express yourself.

I’m more focused on the suit being worn socially. Weddings and funerals have their own rules.

Going out to dinner? Again, why force a formal suit to be something it’s not.

Some people look great in a formal suit without a tie, and in social settings. Tom Ford comes to mind

Ford_2.jpeg
tom-ford-4.jpeg
merlin_160329582_8776134a-1bbc-4c60-83b9-a83e6fff6cf8-superJumbo.jpeg
BFA_29135_382299072.jpeg

Here's LabelKing in a black suit and no tie. I love all his looks.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
you’re so witty. Is it possible to disagree with you without being subject to insults? Perhaps you’re just out of ideas.

Interesting you think this is an insult? Walnut Strands are very dapper.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fwiw i think tailored jackets are generally really comfy to wear (and this is putting outward aesthetics completely aside)

neckties are one thing but to me it would be a shame if aesthetic association extended to odd jackets

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More Labelking looks. Last one is very likely sans tie because that's how he mostly rolls.

This is likely a sport coat, but you can imagine it as a suit. Effect would be the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads