• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m afraid it’s now dorkwear unless worn with a tux. Looks contrived and well past it’s wear out date.
A bow tie can certainly send a message - It’s just probably not the message the guys wearing a bow tie think they’re sending or want to. Outside black tie, maybe something on seersucker day or at the horse track it’s not a great look if you’re under say 70.

That said I’ve noticed ties continue to be the rule rather than the exception mainly in legal fields when they’ve got court, in government (and GR adjacent fields) and with middle management. On the day to day the c-suite Ive interacted with ditched their ties a long time ago outside of round tables, conferences and investor meetings. Even for media hits they’re on (and had been pre-pandemic) the decline.

Anecdotal but I’m back to taking in-person meetings and of the 8 or so sit downs among a pretty diverse set of audiences (some GR people, a trade association, HC industry, and a couple VCs) I had in the last week or so, I opted to forgo the tie in all but one and was the only person in a jacket at any of them. Even at a board meeting for a foundation I was the only person in a jacket. Aloha shirts and those Robert graham patterned shirts with 5 pocket chinos showed up repeatedly though.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fellas please. This conversation begins and ends with one person and that person is Henry Cavill. He's kind of a modern day Steve McQueen, that is, usually leans casual but can still wear CM better than we can (it probably helps to be 6'2" and jacked, but still). Yes, technically he's frequently styled by Grace Gilfeather and others, but even when he's caught shopping for himself, it's a very consistent collection of blue jackets, gray flannel trousers and three piece or DB worsteds from Huntsman and the like. Here, look:

No tie, it's fine. Doesn't try too hard to overaccentuate the v-shaped torso, pants even Alan Bee can appreciate. Rise could be 2" higher I guess. Close enough.
Henry-Cavill-Jimmy-kimmel.jpg

Or with tie, since that's the topic here. Nicely picks up some of the secondary color from the plaid pattern.
Co9yvKFVMAA5UdS

^Can anyone ID the shoes? Cleverley? G&G?

I mean, come on.
Henry-Cavill-2017-The-Rake-Cover-Photo-Shoot-006.jpg

Of course this was just an excuse to post this pic: you may be cool, but you'll never be one-of-the-Cifonelli-guys-came-to-your-BJJ-gym-for-a-fitting cool.
da8e3f696f1735e926f64fb7679dd029.png

Okay that's enough mancrushing for a Friday.
Interesting comparison of Cavill to McQueen. I can see how you might see him that way. I like Cavill, I like the way he looks. I like the way he looks in clothes. He is so muscular that his build distorts the CM ideal of classic proportions to my eye though. My first thought in looking at him in a suit is not, that is a well dressed man, but rather "Wow, that is a very muscular dude under those clothes"

I read somewhere that CM looks most elegant in about a 41 R suit, on someone about 6'1" and 170 or so (More knowledgable members may have a different, more knowledgable, take here). I'm guessing Cavill has about 220 lbs packed on his 6'2" frame, and may wear a 46 R.

He does, of course, look fabulous in a Superman suit, but some would argue that that is not CM, but should fall under SWD.

Reactions: EFV

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we agree that if you can pull off Nantucket reds you can probably pull off a bow tie? If you have the Hamptons vacation house to go with it, then have at it.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Interesting comparison of Cavill to McQueen. I can see how you might see him that way. I like Cavill, I like the way he looks. I like the way he looks in clothes. He is so muscular that his build distorts the CM ideal of classic proportions to my eye though. My first thought in looking at him in a suit is not, that is a well dressed man, but rather "Wow, that is a very muscular dude under those clothes"

I read somewhere that CM looks most elegant in about a 41 R suit, on someone about 6'1" and 170 or so (More knowledgable members may have a different, more knowledgable, take here). I'm guessing Cavill has about 220 lbs packed on his 6'2" frame, and may wear a 46 R.

He does, of course, look fabulous in a Superman suit, but some would argue that that is not CM, but should fall under SWD.

From my casual data collection, male models seem to fit a very specific configuration: a lot (most? all?) of them are 6'1", no less but also, to my surprise, also no more, and are photographed in a 38R - 41R jacket and 31x32 pants, so he's been pretty distant from that template since 2013. Still, I appreciate the consistency with which he styles the CM; most of it could easily fit into the double breasted or ongoing bespoke threads, as opposed to some of the gaudy nonsense that the entertainment industry churns out.

Here, to get back on topic, something that I think works better tieless. Hold the Forrest Gump jokes.
HENRY%2BCAVILL%2B3.png

Interestingly, re: classical proportions, I think he displays this better when casual (or when wearing the costume), i.e. he naturally has the build that we try to create the illusion of via tailored garments. I wonder if this throws off the tailors at the boys' club Savile Row places he frequents, who are perhaps experienced in phoning it in with slim 5'11" 170lb footballers and hiding defects on dumpy septuagenarian British lords, but relatively inexperienced in dialing back when an inverted triangle like him walks in?

Also, full disclosure, having spent way too much time just now scouring the internet for pictures, I've def come across several duds, mostly where he tries to make a Tom Ford suit work for his build. That's not happening, buddy. Also a few unappealing shots of him in three-piece suits with no tie, which is about as Clooneyesque as he'll get. So I might take back my unrestricted, unqualified nomination for him as Hollywood's best dressed bloke, but maintain that when he's on, he's on.

Can we agree that if you can pull off Nantucket reds you can probably pull off a bow tie? If you have the Hamptons vacation house to go with it, then have at it.

To quote the great philosopher, visionary, philanthropist and SWD stud Mr. Robert "Bobby" Axelrod, "What's the point of having **** you money if you never say **** you?"

Last edited:

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does one even dress down a tie? Tailored garments have still a little milage left as they can be dressed down in many many ways.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the color and pattern. A knit tie or something like a slimmer repp tie might pair with chinos and a more casual jacket.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Following up on my reply to Ben above, here's the concept - the Sola tie or "untie" - I developed a few years back which I think threads the proverbial needle between the sometimes stuffy, confining formality of the standard tie and the natural desire to dress up your look. View attachment 1644067
No thank you.

Dave Christian

Reaction score
Following up on my reply to Ben above, here's the concept - the Sola tie or "untie" - I developed a few years back which I think threads the proverbial needle between the sometimes stuffy, confining formality of the standard tie and the natural desire to dress up your look. View attachment 1644067
What is that sport coat? It fits you well.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the color and pattern. A knit tie or something like a slimmer repp tie might pair with chinos and a more casual jacket.

conceptually you’re right, but I would wager that the majority of “normal” people just see a tie. They don’t really even comprehend that there are ties that are more or less formal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads