• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should just point out to people saying that it's cyclical and that ties will come back - that really depends on what timescale you are looking at and where you imagine we are. Yes, there is, or has been, a certain cycling in fashion over the last 75 years, but there are also longer-term trends. We are not wearing what our ancestors were 100 years ago, and certainly not 200 years ago and really, really not 500 years ago. It's not just about the pandemic. The casualization of everything is an encompassing long-term trend that has been going on since at least the mid-1960s, and the vanishing of ties is just one aspect of this. What comes after this could be anything, although unfortunately I think we're all going to be having to wear clothes that help us survive in the catastrophically alterered climate that we've all contributed to creating and seem unwilling to do anything about preventing, reversing or even mitigating.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's just bring back tricorner hats. Or at least fedoras.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
not in this case. He looks like ****. Quite honestly I’ve never been impressed by him. He always looks as though someone put his outfit together for him and told him he looks great.
I had read a while ago that most major celebrities had stylists who would dress them for many/most of their public appearances. I filed that away, and later was just googling some images of male celebrities with similar hair/skin tones to mine for possible inspiration.

I found none. In every case the first 100 or so images that came up were similar, with the celebrity dressed in neutral ensembles of solid colors. They didn’t just look like they had been dressed by stylists, they looked like they all might have been dressed by the same stylist.

Mirage-

Reaction score
37 is a starter set for this forum no?
I actually own zero, will I be banned now that that's out?
And still, I am firmly of the opinion that business suits without ties are absolutely terrible. They have lost the single point of surface interest, and more importantly, the only element differentiating one man from another in a room full of dark plain suits.
A pocket square could help, but most people don't wear those either, (probably think too dandy?), and it's much less visible anyway.
I don't own any of those suites either though, that's why I haven't bought any tie yet. In fact I don't have a suit at all, just a couple sport coats.
I don't understand why the "business casual in traditionally conservative environments" movement doesn't adopt separates though, and more variety in colours and patterns.
My assumption, certainly influenced by reading permanent style often, is that it's just easier for the lazy person unconcerned with clothing to keep the boring suit and just drop the tie.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we're all going to be having to wear clothes that help us survive in the catastrophically alterered climate that we've all contributed to creating and seem unwilling to do anything about preventing, reversing or even mitigating.
Totally. I’ve only bought a few pieces of tailoring in the past two years but all were half-lined, high-twist wool, linen blends, and such. Climate here in DC has gotten warmer over the last 15 years. I’ve ditched all but two winter suits.

Maybe Covid plus a warming climate will push us toward more casual business attire even in govt, law, etc.?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
These tie-free suit outfits look great to me.

52655732_2397118980307544_182610977980763542_n.jpg
218133285_2982199472059885_8298847654763103391_n.jpg
tumblr_b0eb3fa1a2311de28af1ed207e18e81e_444137cd_540.jpeg
500x1000px-f5287e0e_tumblr_m5e2hduvMO1rynjwuo1_500.jpeg
Screen Shot 2015-08-22 at 5.11.23 PM.png
tumblr_mgll3rV1or1rynjwuo1_1280.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first guy, I don’t know WTF is going on with that.
The last one, with the turtleneck, I like.
The rest look like cheap to mid tier gigolos.
Yeah, not really my thing. I'd wear that stuff with a sport coat but not a suit. Just my preference. Also, Peter looks pretty good in anything,

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love their 70's Pop but not the tieless look with a suit. :bounce2: (collars are serious, weapons grade stuff!)

1626821333161.png

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure any of those make the case for, except maybe the first. The problem is that the suits themselves are still basically the same kind as we've always expected to be worn with ties. They haven't changed enough to be something distinctively casual so as to look like they should be worn primarily without. There is still a bit too much of the Pitti, "ooh, look at me being a little bit naughty and subversive and wearing a suit with a polo." You can get away with that a nod-and-a-wink kind of dressing if you have Peter's rugged Italian good looks. But this still isn't it (yet).

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are some tie-less examples in this recent thread:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is of course one profession which has being doing the suit without a tie thing for a long time, and that's architecture. The standard architect uniform back when I was working in an architecture school was black suit (something like Prada was ideal) + black turtle neck and round wire-frame glasses. Anything as long as it was black, really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads