• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Due to the pandemic and many people still working from home I see neckties becoming more and more obsolete.

Reactions: RSS

Gil_Pender

Reaction score
Just my observance, but outside of banking, law, c-suite, etc.,a tie is very, very uncommon where I am; somewhat to my dismay. I go into an office every day and jeans and t-shirts with sneakers is the norm. Trousers and a dress shirt with nice shoes already makes me overdressed. I feel tech and their casual dress code has lead a race to the bottom. :rolleyes:

It's unfortunate, I wouldn't mind wearing one if it didn't cause the constant barrage of questions and suspicious glances from those above me at work. There is an act of rebellion in it but also an ostracizing element.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I passed by the Paul Stuart store(NYC) this wknd and saw a great sky blue knit tie in the window. I was tempted to stop in and purchase it, but it would really just sit around with my 75+ other ties.

I may go back and purchase but no real need now.

I still don't think ties will fade away into the background.

Last edited:

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just my observance, but outside of banking, law, c-suite, etc.,a tie is very, very uncommon where I am; somewhat to my dismay. I go into an office every day and jeans and t-shirts with sneakers is the norm. Trousers and a dress shirt with nice shoes already makes me overdressed. I feel tech and their casual dress code has lead a race to the bottom. :rolleyes:

It's unfortunate, I wouldn't mind wearing one if it didn't cause the constant barrage of questions and suspicious glances from those above me at work. There is an act of rebellion in it but also an ostracizing element.

What's your daily attire for working in a casual environment? When I go back to the office it's all casual. I work in tech as well. But this is the first time in my career that the dress code is casual. Previously I worked for a commercial real estate, so you had to be business casual

Gil_Pender

Reaction score
What's your daily attire for working in a casual environment? When I go back to the office it's all casual. I work in tech as well. But this is the first time in my career that the dress code is casual. Previously I worked for a commercial real estate, so you had to be business casual
The policy for attire allows for pretty much anything other than shorts and flip flops (though I've seen the IT department wearing that). They call it business casual but I think that term has become rather bastardized. I work in publications and will stick to trousers/chinos, dress shirts, AE, and similar, shoes. Dark jeans on Friday sometimes.

But as @DapperPhilly points out the tie, if it hasn't already, has been relegated to fancy dinners, weddings, and other such events only where I am--which is central Canada.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The policy for attire allows for pretty much anything other than shorts and flip flops (though I've seen the IT department wearing that). They call it business casual but I think that term has become rather bastardized. I work in publications and will stick to trousers/chinos, dress shirts, AE, and similar, shoes. Dark jeans on Friday sometimes.

But as @DapperPhilly points out the tie, if it hasn't already, has been relegated to fancy dinners, weddings, and other such events only where I am--which is central Canada.

I'm in Toronto. Worked on Bay street. Seen suits, ties, dress shoes. The whole nine yards for almost a decade.

I work in the I.T department so I am transitioning to jeans and boots now. It's fairly new to me, this whole casual workplace. Thanks for the reply.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a government guy here in DC and ties are still the order of the day. I imagine this place will be one of the last holdouts should casual wear become the norm.

I actually enjoy wearing ties. They really pull the CM ensemble together.

That said, COVID has loosened standards a bit depending on where you work.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Walter Schorno of The Hound told me that when he started his business in the 1970s, he carried upwards of 5,000 ties at his San Francisco shop. By the time he closed in 2019 or so, he had only carried a couple hundred.

Another clothier told me that he considers his neckwear purchases nowadays part of the store's decor -- a way to add a certain vibe to the presentation, but not intended to move.

The Managing Director of Vanners told me she saw sales turn on a dime starting in 2015 or so. In 2015, Vanners did £9m in sales; the following year it was about £5m. Last year saw a staggering 70% decline in sales. The MD says they should have invested more in non-necktie-silk production, such as silks for home furnishings or dressing gowns, as it's clear neckwear sales are sharply declining.

These things come and go in waves, as fashion cyclical, but I think it's hard to deny that tie sales are a fraction of what they used to be even just five years ago.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who write these articles typically don’t like ties. If one has a particular bias against something, in this case ties, then everything is viewed through that lens. Thank god they’re not reporting on the UN.

Fewer people are probably wearing suits as well but they will still sell. Likely the market will continue to move upscale. My SA at Paul Stuart told me that made to measure represented one of the biggest segments of their business.

Ties aren’t going anywhere. Perhaps less frequently worn, but that was happening well before Covid.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve definitely stopped buying them. There are way too many in my closet and I think most bases are covered. I still reflexively look at them go by and think about buying, though.

Maybe it’s time for a major closet cull?

TomTom

Reaction score
I
I'm in Toronto. Worked on Bay street. Seen suits, ties, dress shoes. The whole nine yards for almost a decade.

I work in the I.T department so I am transitioning to jeans and boots now. It's fairly new to me, this whole casual workplace. Thanks for the reply.
find all of this quite amusing. I have been working in IT for 17 years (and at the moment I run a team in a mayor law firm in the City). I have never stopped wearing suits , tie or a sport coat. Btw I'm 41 so not an old codger. You know how the rest of the techies look at me? They all say this is the way he dresses and the only comments I ever get are positive. The guys in my team wear shirts, trousers , shoes ..There is a business casual dress code where I work but my team know that that is expected of them .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads