• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Derbies came up in another thread and I realized I don’t own any. Dress shoes are all
Oxfords and Brogues. Have shifted toward loafers (feet having seen lots of actions so to speak).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with tan shoes. I just think they look good with indigo/sapphire suits or light gray. For me they contrast too much with dark suits.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with tan shoes. I just think they look good with indigo/sapphire suits or light gray. For me they contrast too much with dark suits.

im actually not even trying to opine or cast judgment as to whether I like that tan with navy or charcoal look.

I’m just saying for those who think it’s wrong, well it’s been around for a while now, it is not going anywhere, it is accepted almost everywhere (the 1950’s cosplay aficionados and igent rule makers not Included), time to embrace it.

At this point, being critical of tan shoes with a navy suit is nit picking to the degree of complaining about a dive watch with a suit, or a lavender tie on a white shirt or certain pattern ties with certain pattern shirts. It’s no more than an aesthetic preference on the complainer’s part.

and from my view: (1). I would much rather see a tan pair of shoes with a charcoal suit than somebody in khakis and a button down or jeans and a t-shirt for professional wear, and (2) I am fine with how it works. I have become so used to that look (let’s face it, it’s not something new if you have spent any time in NYC the past 2 decades) that it has grown on me where I am at worst comfortable with it and at best sort of like it.

VegasRebel

Reaction score
I feel like many of the responses are part of the same spectrum:

Suit with tie only > Suit with no tie > Blazer and slacks without tie > Chinos and a button down > Jeans and a T-shirt.

Part of me wonders... why? For customer-facing jobs I understand to some degree, since it's really an issue of presentation, the same way everyone at Best Buy has to wear khakis and a polo, or lots of jobs have to wear a uniform. For "hidden" jobs, though ... I struggle more. If the pandemic taught me anything, it's that I can write circles around counsel in gym shorts and an Iron Man shirt. I do it as easily on casual Friday as any other day before and now. I'm not any less a professional in my sweatpants.

Maybe that's part of what's driving casualization, too. It's the person, not the attire, that is important for the (or at least many) job(s).

Pandaros

Reaction score
I feel like many of the responses are part of the same spectrum:

Suit with tie only > Suit with no tie > Blazer and slacks without tie > Chinos and a button down > Jeans and a T-shirt.

Part of me wonders... why? For customer-facing jobs I understand to some degree, since it's really an issue of presentation, the same way everyone at Best Buy has to wear khakis and a polo, or lots of jobs have to wear a uniform. For "hidden" jobs, though ... I struggle more. If the pandemic taught me anything, it's that I can write circles around counsel in gym shorts and an Iron Man shirt. I do it as easily on casual Friday as any other day before and now. I'm not any less a professional in my sweatpants.

Maybe that's part of what's driving casualization, too. It's the person, not the attire, that is important for the (or at least many) job(s).

It's on that spectrum because of the audience of this forum.

But yes, you're why is the only real valid question here. And alongside the reason you've given, there's also the point I made earlier on formality being dropped in day to day life in general - and attire goes with that.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...so it is understandable why younger people [are o]pting for more fashion forward sleeker shoes such as wing tips...
Wingtips? Sleek? Fashion forward? Same sentence? Where are my smelling salts? :laugh:

I'm sure I have five or six pairs in the inner sanctum (my shoe closet ... otherwise known as the Temple of Imelda by my spouse) ... but they rarely see the light of day. Now if I'm wearing a lounge suit the cap-toe Oxfords will come out ... but unless I'm wearing a lounge suit, I'll opt for Derbies ... and have since I was in college** Now for the heavy tweed suit ... once in a blue moon I'll get out the full brogue wing tips. But wing tips, sleek, and fashion forward don't belong in the same sentence. Good Lord deliver us ... have times changed that much?

** That was so long ago that my undergrad school brought a white-coated waiter into the salon to serve tea at 4 PM daily. Well, that was true the first year I was there. But the times were in transition. The year I graduated we got refreshments from vending machines in the basement. Civilization died.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Wingtips? Sleek? Fashion forward? Same sentence? Where are my smelling salts? :laugh:

I'm sure I have five or six pairs in the inner sanctum (my shoe closet ... otherwise known as the Temple of Imelda by my spouse) ... but they rarely see the light of day. Now if I'm wearing a lounge suit the cap-toe Oxfords will come out ... but unless I'm wearing a lounge suit, I'll opt for Derbies ... and have since I was in college** Now for the heavy tweed suit ... once in a blue moon I'll get out the full brogue wing tips. But wing tips, sleek, and fashion forward don't belong in the same sentence. Good Lord deliver us ... have times changed that much?

** That was so long ago that my undergrad school brought a white-coated waiter into the salon to serve tea at 4 PM daily. Well, that was true the first year I was there. But the times were in transition. The year I graduated we got refreshments from vending machines in the basement. Civilization died.

well I believe you are older, and might have foot problems? So derbies would make sense?

yeah, Oxford wing tips are considered more stylish and sleeker than clunky derbies. They sort of go away from that formality of a plain cap toe but keep the style of the Oxford.

don’t shoot the messenger.

pair these with a nice blue suit and matching cognac belt. Would look great for the New York City professional warrior. This is what the kids are going for these days. Orthopedic shoes are out of style.
E81F4818-9B61-41A6-A686-F33607AA05CF.jpeg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love your ability to be completely unbothered.
When I was younger I loved arguing. Perhaps it's why a few of my closer friends are lawyers (mostly retired now). But as I grew older I developed a preference for expressing my opinion and getting on with life.

I’m okay with those tan Carmina brogues. But I would not wear them with a blue suit. Tan perhaps.

Last edited:

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Let us keep this between us. Promise?

it can be our secret.

I do love the story about the guy at your school serving afternoon tea. That’s back when people gave a damn about things.

I always attributed the biggest factors for the dumbing down of America to be business casual attire and McDonald’s. But the failure to fully grasp an afternoon tea service might also belong on that list.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I was younger I loved arguing. Perhaps it's why a few of my closer friends are lawyers (mostly retired now). But as I grew older I developed a preference for expressing my opinion and and getting on with life.

I'm slowly getting there. Or trying, at least.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm slowly getting there. Or trying, at least.
In all sincerity, I truly appreciate your style. When I see a post by you, I am going to read it. I have a great fondness for the knowledge you so generously share.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In all sincerity, I truly appreciate your style. When I see a post by you, I am going to read it. I have a great fondness for the knowledge you so generously share.

The feeling is mutual! I really love the photos you've shared here of your A&S tweeds and bespoke shoes. Also the stories about makers back in the day.

Reactions: RSS

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
For those who have not been wearing a tie, what is your preferred shirt to wear? Brand? Material? Is it lightweight?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads