• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are My Loakes Ruined?

Al Shosty

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm in distress right now. I'd purchased these burgundy Loakes about a year ago, back when I was such a shoe novice that I couldn't tell the difference between oxfords and derbies. As such, it was only recently that I discovered that the plastic shoe trees that I'd inserted into these shoes over the past year have been completely useless at helping them retain their shape. I have only just inserted proper wooden shoe trees today, but I fear it may be too late to save them. Is there anything I can do to repair the damage? Thank you in advance.

Picture 1 of the shoes:
Picture 2:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't they extraordinarily creased for shoes that have only been worn for a year?

Dosen't look abnormal at all or damaged. Leather shoes will crease, it's impossible to avoid. My St. Crispin, Alfred Sargent, Vass and Zonkey all have creases.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't they extraordinarily creased for shoes that have only been worn for a year?

This is a 2 month old Zonky Boot derby that I have worn 6-8 times.

20180717_172646.jpg

Al Shosty

Reaction score
This is a 2 month old Zonky Boot derby that I have worn 6-8 times.

View attachment 1005774

Thanks for the photo! It's good to know that creases are inevitable. I'm just a bit upset with myself - I've *only* worn these shoes about 25-30 times, and I feel that I could've done more to prevent them from creasing to SUCH an extent in such a small amount of time. Anyway, I guess your comments indicate that it's really not that big of a deal, so I won't put too much thought into past regrets ...

However, I am wondering whether there are any techniques I could use to prevent any further creasing, or to at least slow down the rate of future creasing. Would the shoe trees be enough?
Should I just chill out about it and stop worrying so much?!

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the photo! It's good to know that creases are inevitable. I'm just a bit upset with myself - I've *only* worn these shoes about 25-30 times, and I feel that I could've done more to prevent them from creasing to SUCH an extent in such a small amount of time. Anyway, I guess your comments indicate that it's really not that big of a deal, so I won't put too much thought into past regrets ...

However, I am wondering whether there are any techniques I could use to prevent any further creasing, or to at least slow down the rate of future creasing. Would the shoe trees be enough?

Yes, always use shoe trees and don't wear them two days in a row. Condition every couple of months and brush after every wear. That will keep the creasing to a minimum, but won't stop it.

Welcome to the forum! Here are my St. Crispin in russian calf showing some more creasing, and this is a lasted shoe tree.

20180717_204012.jpg

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here is a good video with some more comprehensive info.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Shoe trees will help, but leather type, fit, gait, and care (don't let them dry out) will also affect how much creasing and the pattern of such will exist. Avoid excessively bending your toes; don't let your toes bend 90 degrees like when you squat on the balls of your feet.

Had you not used trees at all for a year, they'd probably be in much worse shape. You can do a water soak to reduce creasing, but it'll come back as you wear.

Basically, it's just part of life. Learn to enjoy the patina of wear.

Here's a how to, but I really think it's unnecessary in your situation as it's more for very abused shoes.
https://vcleat.com/reshaping-shoes-with-water-and-heat/

eagleman

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm in distress right now. I'd purchased these burgundy Loakes about a year ago, back when I was such a shoe novice that I couldn't tell the difference between oxfords and derbies. As such, it was only recently that I discovered that the plastic shoe trees that I'd inserted into these shoes over the past year have been completely useless at helping them retain their shape. I have only just inserted proper wooden shoe trees today, but I fear it may be too late to save them. Is there anything I can do to repair the damage? Thank you in advance.

Picture 1 of the shoes:
Picture 2:

There’s nothing wrong with your shoes other than they need some conditioner and polishing. Spend a little time with them and they’ll look great.

Cassadine

Reaction score
They look fairly normal to me, all things considered. But cedar trees will prove much more beneficial.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads