• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are my jacket sleeves too short if I can almost see my cufflinks?

Von Kaiser

Reaction score
You can see AT LEAST 1/2" of cuff underneath my jacket sleeves when my arms are hanging at my sides. Sometimes, my normal arm movements will definitely expose the cufflinks. Should I get my jacket sleeves lengthened? Is that even possible?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it but a pic would help.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Von Kaiser
You can see AT LEAST 1/2" of cuff underneath my jacket sleeves when my arms are hanging at my sides. Sometimes, my normal arm movements will definitely expose the cufflinks. Should I get my jacket sleeves lengthened? Is that even possible?

Pictures would definitely help.

It's one thing if they show when you're flailing your arms about. However, if you can see more than 1/2 inch of your cuff (and subsequently your links) when your arms are hanging at your sides, they are most likely too long.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cufflinks should be seen, but pictures will help.

jnm23q

Reaction score
Some very strange SF logic on here:

1. Links should only be worn with a coat (common SF wisdom)
2. If links stick out of a coat, the coat sleeves are too short / shirt sleeves too long

So basically links shouldn't be seen??

TheButler

Reaction score
The 1/4" guideline is when you are standing with your arms down. If you walk, talk, and otherwise conduct your entire day with your arms down at your side, motionless, then yes, nobody will ever see your cufflinks.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is often possible to lengthen a jacket sleeve. I've had it done on several nice suit coats that otherwise fit. The determining factor will be whether there is enough material under the cuff to lengthen it. Better quality jackets are more likely to have more material to work with.

Working sleeve buttons will make lengthening more difficult.

I paid $35 for lengthening at my tailor, and she did an excellent job, including re-pressing the sleeve to make sure there are no creases.

Von Kaiser

Reaction score
Here's a pic I found on Google. The guy's sleeves look like mine.

a1.jpg

Kraken

Reaction score
I think it is really a matter of style and personal preference. I am sure if you use the search function, you can find discussions on the length of sleeves. The overall conclusion that I remembered is that no one could find a reference to this rule throughout history with the exception of a few modern books.

That being said, I prefer shorter jacket sleeves as to expose more shirt cuff. I'm 6'2'' so my overall heigth might help me pull it off. Ideally, I show a similar amount of cuff as in the Google picture. I would say about 1 inch of shirt cuff can be seen while standing motionless. Depending on how it looks, you may not need to alter them.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic I found on Google. The guy's sleeves look like mine.

a1.jpg

Originally Posted by Kraken
I think it is really a matter of style and personal preference. I am sure if you use the search function, you can find discussions on the length of sleeves. The overall conclusion that I remembered is that no one could find a reference to this rule throughout history with the exception of a few modern books.

That being said, I prefer shorter jacket sleeves as to expose more shirt cuff. I'm 6'2'' so my overall heigth might help me pull it off. Ideally, I show a similar amount of cuff as in the Google picture. I would say about 1 inch of shirt cuff can be seen while standing motionless. Depending on how it looks, you may not need to alter them.

Kraken is correct that it would be a matter of personal preference. But IMO if the pic is an accurate reflection then I would say the sleeves are a bit short.

BTW, you don't unbutton your sleeves do you? It looks tacky in the pic.

Von Kaiser

Reaction score
No, I don't unbutton my sleeves. Why would someone do that, by the way?

Originally Posted by dragon8
Kraken is correct that it would be a matter of personal preference. But IMO if the pic is an accurate reflection then I would say the sleeves are a bit short.

BTW, you don't unbutton your sleeves do you? It looks tacky in the pic.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To show off the their suit is bespoke.

Flanderian

Reaction score

IMNTHO, the jacket sleeves in the photo your provided are about 1/4" too short. Links may also be a bit large. Smaller links are more elegant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads