• We would like welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are my eBay Santoni Ellistons seconds?

tradernick

Reaction score
Hi guys

Just received my first pair of Santonis from eBay. This particular seller seems to have a lot of Santoni, AE, etc., all used very lightly. I paid $80 for these shipped to Toronto, which seems to me to be a great deal.

I'm very happy about the condition of the uppers, but I have two questions.

1. The sole seems to be of man-made materials or hard rubber. The texture on it is very fine pebbled, and then the words Santoni and under that the word 'caoutchouc' (whatever that means, doesn't look Italian to me). Is this normal?

2. More important to me, there is a diagonal notch machine stamped into each heel, which runs all the way across the heel. The result of this is that when the shoe is sitting flat on the ground, you can see the little notch in each side of the heel. It is a shallow notch but it is nonetheless visible when the shoe is sitting flat.

Is this normal? Is this Santoni's way of indicating an 'imperfect' or factory second? Sorry I don't have a digital camera (yet, just missed buying one from Amnon!). If pics would help I would actually borrow one to take pics since I am very curious about this. The seller has a lot of shoes like this and I can build the basics of a decent shoe collection with her. I just want to know what I'm buying.

Thanks for any comments.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should be very obvious whether the sole is rubber or leather. And yes that Cuathetoch or whatever it says is, I believe, an american rubber sole maker.

The notch is for decoration. It is supposed to emulate leather soled shoes with a heel plug.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Caoutchouc" (French, maybe Italian as well) is India Rubber (Plantation Rubber).

http://www.gralon.net/articles/mater...tchouc-530.htm

As the name 'Santoni' is moulded into the sole, they are obviously the orignal soles.
It is a design decision what soles to chose for a particular shoe.

No idea, how Santoni marks his "˜seconds'.

But I think for $ 80 (shipped) you've made a good deal.

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
Great deal for a pair of Santoni Ellistons. This model has a rubber sole and heel with the notch. They do have quite a few styles with leather soles.

tradernick

Reaction score
Guys, thanks for the replies and for the info. It's good to know that the shoes are at least original spec. The idea that these are 'refurbished' makes some sense because I am wondering how a seller could have a constant supply of shoes like this which are apparently worn very little. The soles show almost no wear. She had another pair of Ellistons up there the day after I purchased these ones (those went for $104!
)

I wish I knew more about what 'refurbished' means in the shoe world. I mean, refurbished by whom? Santoni? They get sent back to Santoni from a retailer after a customer returns them? I guess so. Can you refurbish uppers? Can you get the 'wear creases' out of them? Maybe so.

Purchased by a private individual and refurbished by him/her?

**EDIT: In a subsequent communication, she said that the shoes are from Nordstrom's. From Nordstrom's, but lightly used... hmmm.

Re: the soles, yeah, I was pretty sure they're rubber, but thought they might be some sort of polymer. I guess the higher-end Santonis are the ones with all leather soles.

Anyhow, I knew you guys would be able to tell me about the notch, so thanks. They fit very well, and as a nice-shoe noob, I'm very happy about the purchase.

tradernick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
better to just provide a photo of the shoes and sole.
Believe it or not, about 20 minutes after I posted this, AnGeLiCbOrIs PM'ed me about a camera deal at slickdeals.net (Canon SD 1100 IS for $145 shipped after discounts). Unbelievably, they made the deal available to a Canadian shipping address, so I'll have my first digital camera in a week or two. Maybe I'll just post a pic then, but I have some assurance that the notch does not mean it's a second.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 77 17.1%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 149 33.1%
  • 8”

Votes: 133 29.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.4%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%