• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are my Allen Edmonds too large?

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased some AE's in a size 8.5 E (5th Ave and Park Ave) on Ebay for a quite a low price. The shoe (s) feel pleasant when I use them for short durations, however when I put them on for extended periods, they began cutting the skin below my toe. I've tried the 9D, but I clearly remember it feeling extremely tight-- specifically the width of the shoe. Any Suggestions?

Thanks

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying anything online without advance knowledge can become a nedlessly costly endeavour.
If you are able to, go to a retailer of Allen Edmonds in your area and try the Park Avenue on in the store for proper sizing.
This is the only sure-fire way you will get the sizing right. Proceed from there online.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Buying anything online without advance knowledge can become a nedlessly costly endeavour.
If you are able to, go to a retailer of Allen Edmonds in your area and try the Park Avenue on in the store for proper sizing.
This is the only sure-fire way you will get the sizing right. Proceed from there online.

No. You don't go into stores to find out what fits you so you can buy on ebay. That is the path of the Shitheel.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
No. You don't go into stores to find out what fits you so you can buy on ebay. That is the path of the Shitheel.
I never said ebay and what on earth are you going on about?

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
I never said ebay and what on earth are you going on about?

"If you are able to, go to a retailer of Allen Edmonds in your area and try the Park Avenue on in the store for proper sizing.
This is the only sure-fire way you will get the sizing right. Proceed from there online."

He asked for suggestions on how to buy shoes on ebay, and you told him how.

etseq

Reaction score
I think if you buy something from the retailer once in a while, you can surely go into the store just to try stuff on and do research without being a shitheel. Whether you are a shitheel for trying stuff on in a store with no intention to buy ever is up for debate, though I would imagine the stores would rather have you come into the store than not--at least this way they can take their best shot at luring you into a sale.

Usul

Reaction score
Just wrap some newspaper around your feet before you put on the shoes.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
He asked for suggestions on how to buy shoes on ebay, and you told him how.

Perhaps you are unaware that the advice I gave is nothing new to this forum.
It can be found in hundreds of threads by other members before me.
If what you are saying is, that it would be unethical to 'use' a retailer for sizing purposes alone,
then I wholeheartedly agree with you. I, personally don't do it.
So why did I type what I did?
Recent surgery and a healthy dose of Tylenol 3's is probably the answer. My apologies.
smile.gif

To the OP...let me clarify that the 'advice' I gave, though possible, is unethical and ill-advised.
Don't get into a habit of going to a retailer for sizing purposes.
The staff will remember you as the guy who never buys anything, and this could, possibly harm your having future relationship with the store.
Some stores may even tell you to not come back if you repeatedly do this.
My apologies to anyone who may have taken offence to my wording above.
I hope this now clarifies matters.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this exact same issue with my pair of Fifth Avenues (same last). Same pain, same location, same size even.

After a few weeks, they broke in, and they are now quite comfortable. There were some painful days until they really broke in though.

I don't know if you're willing to tough it out, or if they will ever end up fitting your foot properly, but that was my experience.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the shoe is too large it shouldn't cut the skin below your toe. It would most likely start rubbing your heel or the sides of your feet. Are you wearing the shoes barefooted? Maybe the insoles are not what your toes are used to so you are forming calluses?

dropout5

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aravenel
I had this exact same issue with my pair of Fifth Avenues (same last). Same pain, same location, same size even.

After a few weeks, they broke in, and they are now quite comfortable. There were some painful days until they really broke in though.

I don't know if you're willing to tough it out, or if they will ever end up fitting your foot properly, but that was my experience.

i have a pair of ae's in 9.5 that do this to my big toe and a pair of 9's that don't, if that helps at all.

LanceW

Reaction score
Wear your shoes to an AE store and explain the problem. Chances are the salesperson will know how to assist you.

Also, my experience has been topys affect how a shoe flexes. I had a pair that would rub against my big toe until I took the topy off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads