• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually like the styling of Rolexes. I think a vintage Explorer looks quite nice as a casual watch. That said, I also have no idea about watches and don't pretend to be knowledgeable on anything other than what I think looks cool.

Nothing wrong with Rolex--it is just a decent middle-of-the-road watch. Due to successful marketing they have transformed their image into a "luxury brand" when the truth is that they make a decent watch but nothing special at their price point. Most of their movements are outsourced so you are actually buying the caliber of movement found in a $2k or so watch and paying the Rolex markup. In addition, the neavou riche and the Jersey Shore crowd tend to gravitate towards the brand as they see it as a status symbol--further cheapening the brand.

These and other is why watch affectionados stay away. I do like some of their vintage stuff but I would not wear one for fear of being associated with that crowd.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Uhh, first of all most of the Jersey Shore folks went for Breitlings, at least initially. And Rolex does not outsource their movements and this is one of their main selling points. They're one of the only privately owned watchmakers out there that make in-house movements. Patek and Audemers Piguet are the only other major watchmaker that can make this same claim.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Uhh, first of all most of the Jersey Shore folks went for Breitlings, at least initially. And Rolex does not outsource their movements and this is one of their main selling points. They're one of the only privately owned watchmakers out there that make in-house movements. Patek and Audemers Piguet are the only other major watchmaker that can make this same claim.

Rolex used to outsource their movements, they may have changed this policy. My uncle who worked for JLC made movements for Rolex in the 80's.

By the way, JLC makes movements for others, but they don't oursource their own--so you can add that brand to your list of watchmakes that don't outsource.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rolex used to outsource their movements, they may have changed this policy. My uncle who worked for JLC made movements for Rolex in the 80's.
By the way, JLC makes movements for others, but they don't oursource their own--so you can add that brand to your list of watchmakes that don't outsource.

JLC isn't privately owned, they're a subsidiary of the Richemont group. All watch companies use other brand's movements but Rolex is mostly Rolex. Brands like IWC don't get the same rep because, while they do make some wonderful in-house movements, most of their watches use ETAs.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JLC isn't privately owned, they're a subsidiary of the Richemont group. All watch companies use other brand's movements but Rolex is mostly Rolex. Brands like IWC don't get the same rep because, while they do make some wonderful in-house movements, most of their watches use ETAs.

True, but I never claimed that they were privately owned but all of their movements are all made by JLC, they also supply movements to other brands including (for a while at least) IWC.

I may be wong, but I believe Vaceron & Constantin also makes all of their own movements.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
True, but I never claimed that they were privately owned but all of their movements are all made by JLC, they also supply movements to other brands including (for a while at least) IWC.
I may be wong, but I believe Vaceron & Constantin also makes all of their own movements.

They do but my criteria was privately owned and make their own movements. Rolex, PP, and AP are the only ones that can boast both.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is really the first claim that I have ever heard that PP makes all of their own movements. Do you have anything to back this up?

surf4hours

Reaction score
PP was using Lemania based movements, not sure if any of the current models do.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taken from watchuseek:

Originally Posted by evv69
Only a few can really claim that they are "Manufacture", a title given to those watch houses that makes in-house movements. the well known swiss manufactures are:

Patek Philippe
Audemars Piguet
Vacheron Constantin
JLC
Rolex
Girard-Perregaux

some brands are starting to make their own "in-house" movements, but are not yet considered up to the level yet.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
MK watches are made by fossil.

blackstone

Reaction score
i would say the general rule is dont buy a watch that is from a fashion desinger (im assuming that this guy is a fashion designer). only buy from a watch maker.

RapFan

Reaction score
As a young man looking for a watch, getting a MK is not bad. If it takes you a year to save up 1k for a watch, then maybe you should use that 1k for more dire needs than say a Tag. Get the 2-300 dollar watch. There is no point in showing off your 10K Cartier watch when your struggling to make student loans, car payments, or even just starting out. "I had to skip a meal a week to save up the money but man all those approved messages from SF will sure be worth it" should not be the motto. Get the ok watch for now, the time will come when you will spend a lot more on your watch and you'll be able to enjoy it a lot more then too.

With that said, I still love this site =) it's just sometimes as young professionals who are still establishing ourselves we can get carried away by gettings suits/shoes/watches that are worn by established and seasoned veterans. They will never admit it, but guess what, they probably started off with a designer watch, and a non canvassed suit, and shoes that were not hand crafted in England from leather taken from virgin cows who were only fed the finest of nourishment

kakaman

Reaction score
MIchael Kors is made by Fossil, so just go buy a Fossil or Swatch, they have some stylish stuff

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's like saying dont buy a Tom ford suit cuz its made by Zegna

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads