1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are Michael Kors watches any good?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Swagged, Dec 12, 2011.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

They do but my criteria was privately owned and make their own movements. Rolex, PP, and AP are the only ones that can boast both.

2. Patek

Patek Senior member

This is really the first claim that I have ever heard that PP makes all of their own movements. Do you have anything to back this up?

3. surf4hours

surf4hours Active Member

PP was using Lemania based movements, not sure if any of the current models do.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I said most, not all.

5. Patek

Patek Senior member

Taken from watchuseek:

Originally Posted by evv69
    Only a few can really claim that they are "Manufacture", a title given to those watch houses that makes in-house movements. the well known swiss manufactures are:

Patek Philippe
    Audemars Piguet
    Vacheron Constantin
    JLC
    Rolex
    Girard-Perregaux

some brands are starting to make their own "in-house" movements, but are not yet considered up to the level yet.

6. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

MK watches are made by fossil.

7. blackstone

blackstone Well-Known Member

i would say the general rule is dont buy a watch that is from a fashion desinger (im assuming that this guy is a fashion designer). only buy from a watch maker.

8. RapFan

RapFan Well-Known Member

As a young man looking for a watch, getting a MK is not bad. If it takes you a year to save up 1k for a watch, then maybe you should use that 1k for more dire needs than say a Tag. Get the 2-300 dollar watch. There is no point in showing off your 10K Cartier watch when your struggling to make student loans, car payments, or even just starting out. "I had to skip a meal a week to save up the money but man all those approved messages from SF will sure be worth it" should not be the motto. Get the ok watch for now, the time will come when you will spend a lot more on your watch and you'll be able to enjoy it a lot more then too.

With that said, I still love this site =) it's just sometimes as young professionals who are still establishing ourselves we can get carried away by gettings suits/shoes/watches that are worn by established and seasoned veterans. They will never admit it, but guess what, they probably started off with a designer watch, and a non canvassed suit, and shoes that were not hand crafted in England from leather taken from virgin cows who were only fed the finest of nourishment

9. kakaman

kakaman Active Member

MIchael Kors is made by Fossil, so just go buy a Fossil or Swatch, they have some stylish stuff

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

That's like saying dont buy a Tom ford suit cuz its made by Zegna

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

lolwut. It's more like saying don't buy an Abboud suit because it's made by JAB.

1 person likes this.
  12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

well still same idea

13. trum01

trum01 Senior member

Are Tom Ford suits made by Zegna?

14. bjornb17

bjornb17 Senior member

As far as cheap watches are concerned, I'd recommend Seiko.

15. atila

atila Senior member

these are some hilariously bad posts - thanks for the laugh.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  16. Patek

Patek Senior member

I'm guessing you have a Rolex and were offended.

If so: Rolex makes a perfectly good watch--the point was that there are much better watches out there for the same/less money that many people don't buy because they don't "know" the brand. A guy complemented me on my watch two days ago and asked me what it was. I told him it was Zenith El Primero. His face went blank and he said "oh..." having no idea what it was. He was obviously not a watch guy but to each his own.

17. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

NOMOS is also in that category along with a whole slew of ultra high-end private manufacturers including Phillipe Dufor

And they weren't bad posts. Speaking as someone who spends 95% of forum time on WUS he is right on most things except the outsourced movements. Rolex are well designed watches who sell mostly because of the marketing image they have fastidiously cultivated. Most WIS opt for something other than Rolex simply because of the negative associations.

Rolex makes a fine watch but commonly are seen as overpriced with a less than desirable public image in the WUS community

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  18. atila

atila Senior member

With Rolex, you are no question paying a bit for their branding but his first post actually implies Rolex is a crap watch, to quote: "I have no idea what a good watch is... and a lack of taste to match". <--- Yeah, I'd say you're 100% incorrect with that.

If you posted something more rational, something closer to your final post explaining then I would have no problem with what you posted. But when you make sweeping generalizations, especially with the big OOPS statement of saying they outsource their movements? Yeah, expect to get "checked" for your post.

Carry on.

19. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  20. Patek

Patek Senior member

Fair enough although you are still incorrect in thinking they don't outsouce. I know at least one movements of their that was made by JLC and another by Zenith (both makers that I prefer and own). So they have done their share of outsourcing albeit from good makers.

As far as taste go, I stand by MY statement that they are for people who don't know any better and simply want a watch that they think looks expensive. However, there is no debating taste and that statement is my opinion on taste. Individual results may vary.