• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I know nothing about watches, but I don't think many on this forum would approve of a Michael Kors watch. My wife watches Project Runway, so I could never buy one simply because I wouldn't want to hear his annoying voice in my head every time I looked at my watch. That being said, I generally think the Michael Kors watches I've seen have nice designs. If you like the way it looks, I say buy it. If you're looking to save your money for a SF-approved time piece, you'll have a lot of saving to do to bridge the gap between this watch and even the lower tier of SF-approved brands like Tag Heuer or Baume and Mercier. Basically, until you're ready to spend over $1k on a watch, just buy what you think looks good.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More to the point, don't buy a watch from a brand which does not make watches it's primary (preferably only) business.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the same amount of money, I would get a stainless steel Seiko or Bulova.

I my opinion, goldtone watches look kind of gaudy. I would suggest a fairly conservative stainless steel watch with hour/minute/seconds hands and date. Much more versatile and much more classy.

Chris

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just looking at MK watches this morning. Are you buying for your mother too?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never refer to an MK watch as an investment. I agree with getting a Seiko or a Tissot for watches under $500. Check the poor man's watch thread for others.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anything Michael Kors good?

Swagged

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks everyone for your replies, you guys sure did help. I've decided to save my money for a more quality watch from a business whose focus is primarily watches...I'll check into the poor mans watch thread (ugh, that just sounds so bad, but life is life). Hopefully, in a couple of years I can afford a SF-approved [Rolex] watch. Lol.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know who in SF approved Rolex. It is certainly on my DB list along with Panerai.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would hope that Patek is not on your list. ;)

Not at all. Besides, only watch affectionados know what they are. My daily wear is a 14k gold vintage JLC (1957) with a gator strap.

Rolexes say: "I have no idea what a good watch is but I'm very impressionable to advertising and I wanted to show the world/easily impressionable people that I had $8k to burn and [lack of] taste to match!"

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
I actually like the styling of Rolexes. I think a vintage Explorer looks quite nice as a casual watch. That said, I also have no idea about watches and don't pretend to be knowledgeable on anything other than what I think looks cool.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads