• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are less known brands like barba, borrelli, etc. safer to buy on ebay?

bugatti.veyron

Reaction score
I haven't used ebay for years because I always felt like it was full of fake products--ever since I bought 4 lacoste polos from 4 different sellers that all turned out to be fake. I've also bought gucci/fendi stuff for my girlfriend that were also fake

Now that I'm starting to get into nicer and less known (to the general public at least), I was wondering if ebay is worth checking out again? Are brands like borrelli, luciano barbera, etc. generally safe to buy on ebay?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bugatti.veyron
I haven't used ebay for years because I always felt like it was full of fake products--ever since I bought 4 lacoste polos from 4 different sellers that all turned out to be fake. I've also bought gucci/fendi stuff for my girlfriend that were also fake

Now that I'm starting to get into nicer and less known (to the general public at least), I was wondering if ebay is worth checking out again? Are brands like borrelli, luciano barbera, etc. generally safe to buy on ebay?

Stay away from anything with a logo on it and you should be fine.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've kicked around the idea of starting a specific thread about Borrelli and this same issue, but haven't bothered as of yet. But I picked up a Borrelli dress shirt, BNWT in the box and everything, here on B&S, from a trusted seller. He picked them up at 21st Century or Filiene's Basement (sp?) one or the other, and it turned out that the Borrelli was not authentic.

Oddly, even though I own a few other Borrelli's, ( but I'm very far from an expert) I couldn't tell it wasn't genuine, until I was at the de Corato store here in SF a few weeks ago. The shirt had all the hallmarks and construction details of a Borrelli, except for the stop stitch on the placket wasn't there and the button holes on my shirt were clearly done by machine, although I've heard others comment that Borrelli doesn't do hand sewn buttonholes anymore. I looked at a few examples of the current offerings there in the store, and they did indeed have hand sewn button holes though.

Horace, from de Corato examined it and said he felt he was sure it was made by Finamore, most likely, and was of similar quality as the Borrelli shirts being made today. Which, ultimately, I found even more confusing that someone would go thru that much effort to replicate a dress shirt such as Borrelli, fake the tags and packaging, etc, without producing some cheap knock-off to bump their profit margins.

I'm happy with the shirts material, fit, and construction either way. I'd only be upset if I had paid a good deal more, but alas I didn't.

So, my .02c, apparently Borrelli gets faked as well. I'm just surprised to hear that they are making their way into what I thought were reputable retail establishments.

I can't be 100% certain of it being a fake, but all my other Borrellis have a stop stitch and hand sewn button holes. If anyone else would care to shed some light on the subject, I'd be curious to hear.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My rule is always buy the seller, not the product. If the seller has very top feedback on similar high end speciality products, it's probably safe to buy. I've bought a number of Savile Row items on ebay. They are true. Who would fake a 1960's Kilgour tweed or a Gieves & Hawkes Norfolk, etc? And, who's heard of Chittleborough & Morgan? But, all fo the sellers I have bought from obviously operate in the area of high end thrifted merchandise that they then put up on ebay. Because of that I felt safe. If it is the first sale from a merchant who usually sells other types of goods not associated with what I'm buying, no way.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Safe, mostly. Stay away from the ones coming from Italy though- especially on the Borrellis.
Beware with a seller of Naples, he screwed me on a Borrelli, he changues his name very often. Chips; Those Borrellis aren´t fake ( that I know ) , but done in another factory after the owner went into jail for laundering 60 million euros of the mafia. New Borrellis are done with awful fabrics and different pattering. stay away.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.