Are leather jackets supposed to be fitted?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by k4lnamja, Dec 23, 2010.

1. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I know it all depends on the person but I wanted to know your take.

I've a brown leather jacket that looks more like a coat versus a bomber or a motorcycle. I got it at banana republic when i was younger, 2002, and I still have it. Its in great condition but when I put it on today, it was big. Am I able to tailor leather jackets? If so, how much would it be?

Thanks

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

3. Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee Senior member

Amen to the "oversized" comment. I had a Filson Halsey that was supposed to be an heirloom piece and dumped it for this very reason. Very corny looking with the big, open bottom. Went with a Schott--also they are made in the USA (as opposed to China.) And at $500 or so, a great price. you don't want a leather jacket that screams "department store." Also have an Aero--check those out, too.

4. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Do you think I should cut my losses or tailor it (just needs to have the sides taken in and POSSIBLY the sleeves shortened)? I guess I'm trying to figure out if a leather jacket needs to be tailored similar to a blazer.

5. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

well, the thing with leather jackets, IF you can actually alter the thing ( i dunno) youre going to have to deal with the huge armholes leftover from the previous size.
    that's the key. anything else i can deal with the fit but the shoulder and armholes got to fit (or err on the tight side) in leather jackets or it will look hideous.

6. spence

spence Senior member

Salvation Army.

7. ismelllikepoop

ismelllikepoop Senior member

nothing is worse than an oversized leather jacket.

on the flipside, i really dont understand the skin-tight look that makes it look like someone painted latex on the person. but that's just me and i dont knw anything.

8. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

on the flipside, i really dont understand the skin-tight look that makes it look like someone painted latex on the person. but that's just me and i dont knw anything.

oh trust me, i'm not going for that look. maybe here in west hollywood but not for me. i want it to fit like a blazer and able to wear a sweater or dress shirt underneath

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Fitted looks better than loose. As with everything, there is such thing as too much of a good thing, and tight does not equal fitted. Motorcyle jackets look particularly "correct" fitted as they serve a function with a good fit.