• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Lasted Shoe Trees Worth It For Bespoke Shoes?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I've been wondering about this for awhile. Given that English makers typically charge a significant amount for lasted shoe trees ($350-$450 for Cleverley and Fosters, $950 for Lobb), I'm wondering if there is any meaningfull difference if one were to save cash by using high quality RTW trees.

I imagine there isn't, but would like to hear other opinions on this matter?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$950 for pair of shoe trees? Jeeeezz...
crazy.gif

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you had an odd shaped foot, it would be worth it. Otherwise a conventional last has worked well in some of my oldest shoes from the mid 80's.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been collecting trees made by D. Mackay, which were made in exact sizes and widths. Mackay trees were made of hard wood (birch?), and were sold to quite a few high end retailers, who generally put their own names on the trees.

I believe the company went out of business 10+ years ago, but you can find them on eBay for $10-$30 (depending on, in part whether a famous store's name has been stamped on it (Church, Gucci, Saks, etc.) There's almost always a pair or two listed, but the trick is, of course, finding pairs in your size.

I presume that a shoe tree made to specific size and width is still not as precise as a one-off, lasted tree, but, if you have a narrow foot, as I do, it's a lot better than the one-size-fits-most type of tree, and beats paying hundreds of dollars.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you have a bespoke shoe -- a shoe made to the shape of a last made to suit your particular feet -- get the lasted trees. It'll help them retain their particular shape -- which was made to fit the particular shape of your feet.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Lobb's charge for lasted trees is outrageous, and not (so far as I know) justifiied by any real cost considerations.

The Cleverley charge is also high, but somewhat more reasonable. Lasted trees are made on special machines by one of two companies in Northampton. I visited one of them, but never got around to posting pics.

Bascically, it works like a combination lathe/key duplicating machine. Your last is put on one machine, where it is turned and little arms run over it in every direction. Those arms transmit that data to another machine with a "blank" (an oversized tree form) and the excess is shaved away from the blank until it is the shape of your last. There are few more steps, cutting it in two, hollowing it out, adding the hinge, etc.

This is the way all lasted trees are made, whether bespoke or RTW. But the crucial difference is that with bespoke, the entire production line gets interrupted. One-offs are not cost effective -- not for the shoemaker, who has to drive (or ship) your last to Northamton, then pay to have it shipped back, and not for the last company, which has to interrupt it's higher margin work for RTW clients.

I believe that lasted trees are essential for bespoke shoes, and don't understand why anyone would pay all that money for a bespoke shoe, and then jeopardize their unique shape by not getting lasted trees.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks RJ and manton. A question - does G&Gs 1550 GBP price include the lasted trees?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Thanks RJ and manton. A question - does G&Gs 1550 GBP price include the lasted trees?

No, I think with trees is 1,700 or 1,740 or something like that.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have to admit that this extra charge gave me pause and somewhat soured my ordering.

Cleverley and Scafora both include trees in the base price.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I have to admit that this extra charge gave me pause and somewhat soured my ordering.

Cleverley and Scafora both include trees in the base price.

Scafora certainly does, but I believe his shoe trees are not lasted (or at the very least, the ones I have seen - are yours lasted?). Cleverley charges 170 pounds for trees.

Thanks manton.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
G&G bespoke shoes with trees are UKP 1750 without VAT: 200 for the trees, and 1550 for the shoes as mentioned by Manton. The 3-piece trees are more. There's a price list on their website.

I'd also always get the lasted trees with bespoke shoes.

--Andre

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cleverley charges 170 pounds for trees.

I completely missed this. I specifically asked George about this and he said they were included, or perhaps, I misunderstood.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't see why they don't just include them with the purchase--to create a pair of trees doesn't seem like a lot of extra work anyways.

JamesT

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't see why they don't just include them with the purchase--to create a pair of trees doesn't seem like a lot of extra work anyways.

+1. They had to make the last anyway; I'm sure copying it for a shoe tree isn't exactly a big deal.

That said, I'm sure if I ever went for bespoke shoes I would pay for the trees. I know I would regret not doing it. Not to mention that if I had a shoe custom made for my foot I would want the shoe trees to fit just as well.

I suppose not having the lasted trees is a bit like hanging a bespoke suit on a wire hanger.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought about this recently when placing a bespoke order. I don't think lasted trees are necessary if your feet/shoes aren't oddly shaped and normal, non-spring-loaded trees fit well. I haven't noticed any shape distortion when using non-lasted trees in (non-bespoke) shoes under those conditions. If over time it did happen, the shoemaker can re-last the shoe when they're being re-soled.

That said, I still got the trees, as always. Might as well go whole hog.

BTW, I had thought that Scaforas trees were lasted but just checked mine and found the fit to be less perfect than my confirmed lasted trees. No detectable undue pressure, just a bit of space in the instep and arch. Doesn't bother me one bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics