1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are Italian shoes not very good?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Philip1978, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Alan B.

Alan B. Well-Known Member

I made the switch to Italian shoes. The American shoe industry is virtually dead. Allen Edmonds is overrated and overpriced while Alden is too heavy and very limited in styles.

Italian shoes do have a great variety of styles and many are not for me. I do like the styling of Bragano (Cole Haan) and Zelli. Light and comfortable due to the Bologna construction of many of their shoes.

2. acidboy

acidboy Stylish Dinosaur

Italian shoes have their fair share of very good ones and very bad ones much probably like the English, American and French brands have theirs. For every Santoni, there's a Donald Pliner (which is made in the mountains of Italy [​IMG] ), and for every Alden there's an Aldo.

3. Maharlika

Maharlika Distinguished Member

I like Bettanin and Venturis. They are durable, has unique styling and well hand- made shoes. They're also very comfortable.

4. teddieriley

teddieriley Distinguished Member

I like Bettanin and Venturis. They are durable, has unique styling and well hand- made shoes. They're also very comfortable.
    Where can one check out Bettanin and Venturis in the U.S. or on line?

5. Sator

Sator Distinguished Member

Most people here either prefer English or Italian shoes.

Those who prefer English shoes will dismiss Italian shoes as being gaudy and tasteless monstrosities made for the nouveau riche.

Those who prefer Italian shoes doubtless regard English shoes as being unspeakably dull and insufficiently eyecatching.

6. Sator

Personally, I find EGs much more appealing than Lobbs, for the most part.
    I agree totally. I think the reason is that EGs are much more English. John Lobb Paris is still basically a French company owned by Hermes. They may be made in Northampton but they are designed in France. The French are interesting in that either they make shoes as outlandish as the Italians or they are staunchly anglophile. Anglophilia is a very strange tradition in French men's dress which dates back to the French Revolution. Before the Revolution all men's dress was dominated by Parisian dress in the aristocratic court style ie extravagent and ostentatious. After the Revolution Frenchmen quickly adopted the dress of the English aristocracy who tended to live in country estate, wearing country styled clothes (anyone in the old court style dress risked losing their heads). Ever since that time, the most tastefully dressed Frenchmen have striven to present themselves as perfect gentilehommes in the English manner. As for John Lobb Paris, Hermes paid handsomely to get the rights to sell under a quitessentially English name for this very reason. However, the designs they put out still have a distinctly French feel to them, even though they are more understated and tasteful - ie English - than those by Berluti or Corthay. Still, oddly enough I find le plus anglais of all of the French shoemakers is JM Weston who make their shoes in France. Even the name of the firm is unshamedly Anglo-Saxon, although if you go to Paris you will hear them pronounce it 'jai ai'em uh-es-torn'. The J. M. bit sounds in French like 'je aime' or 'I love', and was reputedly chosen for this reason.

7. jjgold

jjgold Senior Member

Those who prefer English shoes will dismiss Italian shoes as being gaudy and tasteless monstrosities made for the nouveau riche.

Those who prefer Italian shoes doubtless regard English shoes as being unspeakably dull and insufficiently eyecatching.

I don't know if I agree with this. I like English Shoes AND Italian Shoes. I love Gravatis and Barretts. You see very little about them on this site. They are very comfortable and wear very well. They are a bit cheaper than the others but well worth the bread.

8. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Senior Member

This couldn't be any more apt.

"It's tasteful!" "It's boring!" "It's interesting!" "It's gaudy!" etc etc

I like both, but prefer elongated shoes so I lean more towards Italian. They tend to fit better too, as I have unusually long toes.

9. IGORSEMONOV

IGORSEMONOV Senior Member

What do you think adout theese?
    Is it monstrosities made for the nouveau riche?
    Or may be it is shoes as being unspeakably dull and insufficiently eyecatching...
    I do not specify the manufacturer specially.
    [​IMG]

10. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Or may be it is shoes as being unspeakably dull and insufficiently eyecatching...

Sorry, what's wrong with those shoes. They look quite nice, a bit like my Zegna Napolis.

For more Italian shoes, check out my 'borgioli' post.

11. Maharlika

Where can one check out Bettanin and Venturis in the U.S. or on line?

I purchase them at the Barney's New York stores.

12. Maharlika

It's very difficult to compare British and Italian styling. I appreciate both. Although I will admit, on my last visit to London there were a lot of gaudy and tasteless nouveaux riche from eastern Europe buying John Lobbs and Church's shoes.

13. Philip1978

Philip1978 Distinguished Member

Are these english? So that your point point is english may also be "garish"?

14. bachbeet

bachbeet Distinguished Member

igor: Those may be the only boot-like shoes I'd ever consider buying. They are similar to my Mantelassi wholecuts.

15. Sator

What do you think adout theese? Is it monstrosities made for the nouveau riche? Or may be it is shoes as being unspeakably dull and insufficiently eyecatching... I do not specify the manufacturer specially.
    Ne ploxa. Not bad Gospodin Semonov. The style of these Chukka boots is quite English - understated and tasteful. I take it you made them yourself? I should say that when the English try to make something fashion forward they splash out and make things that are off the scale in tastelessness eg the famous 'Dick Cheaney' model produced by Gieves and Hawkes. On the other hand, Italians are at their best when they produce something in lo stilo Inglese, at which point they make something with English taste and understatement with only the subtlest touch of something Italian to give it individuality.