• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are Italian shoes not very good?

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 16, 2007
Messages
3,710
Reaction score
13
The reason i ask is that they are never involved in the threads or discussions of what the best shoes are? Any opinions from those in the know?
 

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2007
Messages
6,147
Reaction score
161
Santoni Fette A Mano get's its fair share of respect.
 

mr. magoo

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2003
Messages
693
Reaction score
9
The real answer is some are bad, some good, some very good and some excellent. It depends on the shoes, of course.

Italian shoes can have some more interesting styling. Sometimes posters dislike the styling and are disparaging. But generally speaking, some of the best in the world are Italian.

A good analogy would be Italian cars. Fiats? Not so good. Alfas? Pretty decent. Ferraris? Excellent. All have some distinctive syling though.

Some of the best ready-to-wear shoes one can find in the US, all of which are discussed here, are: John Lobb/Hermes (English), Edward Green (English), Weston (French), Vass (Hungarian), Mantellasi (Italian), Lattanzi (Italian), Berluti (Italian).
 

sloaney

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
i really like ferragamo (eventhough it is so common now there is no snob appeal associated with the brand anymore), although i admit that i don't have much experience with other brands. they just feel really comfortable - the standard line loafers as well as the pair of tramezzas that i own.

i also own a pair of church's custom grade captoe shoes but they always feel so hard.....

i would walk on my ferragamo loafers for hours and hours....
 

sloaney

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
202
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i agree as well, i have two ferragamo loafers, one is a studio line loafer and both are very well wearing , comfortable and long lasting. i have yet to have one problem with them. but if you try a santoni shoe (especially their FAMs) you will notice a big difference in upscale comfort.

looking forward to this
 

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
26,945
Reaction score
16,953
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Santoni Fette A Mano get's its fair share of respect.
Except the 11.5's, which suck. Coincidentally, I'm starting a service helping people disopse of them in an environmentally friendly fashion -- first disposal is free for SF members.
 

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
9,451
Reaction score
1,414
The brands listed by previous posters represent very well made and highly regarded Italian shoes (or just non-English shoes in general). I can understand after some time here all you read are guys obsessed with EG, Lobbs, C&Js, and the like. But I would agree with the sentiment that a lot of Italian stylings are over the top. But when they are done right, they are sweet as hell, and I think they look magnitudes better than what Lobb, and especially EG can offer. It all boils down to aesthetic, but if you're wondering about construction, when we're talking about Goodyear or better, if you see an Italian shoe (or Hungarian or French as the case may be), I wouldn't hesitate to spend that money on those shoe. You won't have any regrets thinking, man, for that money I should have bought Lobbs. No, for that money you'd get Santoni FAMs which are just as good, if not better in terms of styling, construction, leather, and fit.
 

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 21, 2005
Messages
16,090
Reaction score
1,145
Originally Posted by teddieriley
The brands listed by previous posters represent very well made and highly regarded Italian shoes (or just non-English shoes in general). I can understand after some time here all you read are guys obsessed with EG, Lobbs, C&Js, and the like. But I would agree with the sentiment that a lot of Italian stylings are over the top. But when they are done right, they are sweet as hell, and I think they look magnitudes better than what Lobb, and especially EG can offer. It all boils down to aesthetic, but if you're wondering about construction, when we're talking about Goodyear or better, if you see an Italian shoe (or Hungarian or French as the case may be), I wouldn't hesitate to spend that money on those shoe. You won't have any regrets thinking, man, for that money I should have bought Lobbs. No, for that money you'd get Santoni FAMs which are just as good, if not better in terms of styling, construction, leather, and fit.

Why the dislike of EG in particular? Personally, I find EGs much more appealing than Lobbs, for the most part.
 

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
9,451
Reaction score
1,414
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Why the dislike of EG in particular? Personally, I find EGs much more appealing than Lobbs, for the most part.

I've seen more Lobbs I like than EGs, that's all, from a purely aestethic point of view. All shoe makers make shoes you're going to hate and shoes you're going to love. I love certain Santoni's and think some of them are just butt ugly. Same thing with EGs, Lobbs, C&Js, Vass. Since I'm so particular and prefer the elongated toe box, beveled waist, any brand I look at will only have a portion of their collection that will fit the bill. I speak highly of Italian shoes because they just fit my feet better. They are just more sleek. I'm definitely not knockin' the love EGs and Lobbs get. But I'm here to even out with the non-English shoe love.
 

csgrad

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2006
Messages
394
Reaction score
1
Another fan here for Italian shoes. I'm loving amadeo testonis, so much that I've bought 3 int he spawn of 2 months. Despite the thin leathers compared to something like EG, the richness, color, and little Italian details make the shoes sublime.
 

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
2,718
Reaction score
5
Here's one of each.


 

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

  • Loafers

  • Boat shoes

  • Espadrilles

  • Sneakers

  • Desert Boots

  • Sandals


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
475,335
Messages
10,160,524
Members
213,606
Latest member
biologicaltrim
Top