1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are High Price Shaving Creams Really Worth It?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Aiwass, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

.There's a lady in West Virginia who hand makes shaving soaps. I get my batch from her.
    Yup, Mama Bear's. I use it too. Great stuff and great service.

2. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Yup, Mama Bear's. I use it too. Great stuff and great service.

Just ordered some

3. Matt

Matt Senior member

cool, hope you like it.

What scents did you choose?

Let us know how it goes.

4. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

cool, hope you like it.

What scents did you choose?

Let us know how it goes.

I ordered:

Dragon's Blood
    Victorian Violets
    Diogenes Club

I will. I am thinking about getting some Taylors creams too. I have Trumpers lime and proraso red and green.

5. Wouter

Wouter New Member

I've been using some Santa Maria Novella products for two weeks now, the before/after shaving cream, the shaving cream and an after shave lotion for sensitive skin. They're more expensive than the brands I've used before but definitely worth the money. My skin looks and feels much better after shaving.

6. hadamulletonce

hadamulletonce Senior member

<$5 at WalMart, Walgreens, etc. You'll love it.

[​IMG]

This is a really good shaving gel. King of Shave also has a great lubricating oil but it's not as easy to find.

Kiehl's Brushless Shave cream is excellent as well.

7. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I would say yes, but only if you value scent. Most drug store brands simply do not smell as good as the high end english creams.

8. holla7577

holla7577 Well-Known Member

I use edge gel and pretty happy with it. I've used Kiehl's, Jack Black, King of Shaves, Anthony, but don't they show me any incremental benefit over edge gel. Personal preference.

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Make your own high end shaving soap for pennies!

Simply buy some Surrey aka Van der Hagen shaving soap from the drug store, and a bottle of glycerin.

Chop the Van der Hagen soap (I like the 'deluxe' myself) into cubes, and place into an 8 oz ziplock container, then microwave for 15 seconds, or more if needed to melt it, but don't overheat. Stir in 1 teaspoon of liquid vegetable glycerin, then let harden.

Wallah, you have a puck of shaving soap that will perform just as good or better than any fancy soap or cream you can buy!

Add essential oils if you care about scent.