• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are High Price Shaving Creams Really Worth It?

Aiwass

Reaction score
B0007MAFT2.01-ADUVTLOQLIAEE.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

this is Limes Soft Shaving Cream a supposly "top of the line" shaving cream and its 35 dollars!. Alot of you said you used shaving creams that cost 15 and 20 dollars but is it really worth it?...ive used the high stuff and ive used the 1.50 spray can stuff and yea theirs a slight difference but i dont think its a 20 dollar difference.

so my question is for the people who used lets say barbasol shaving gel or any of those other aersol can creams
CRMS.jpg

and also has used the so called good stuff like kiehls can you really tell that big of a difference
236_L.jpg

personally i think it depends more on the shaving device used be it razor or trimmer

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a difference but it is on a case by case basis. Some are certainly worth the extra money, some are not. Lots of factors are involved, such as level of lubrication, scent, residue, ease of lathering etc etc etc
Plus I use a shaving brush, I won't use aerosol foam with that.

Then again, something like the inexpensive Proraso (which can now be found at Target!) can give many more similar creams that cost much more a run for their money.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some yes, some no.

Proraso is definitely worth the $$$, but it seems that Target has dropped the line. If you get the cream on clearance, it's a steal at twice the price. On-line a tube runs $10 or so, even then a good value. Also, Kiss My Face is well-liked and easy on the pocketbook.

As you scale the mountain, some are well-worth the money. Geo F. Trumper makes a great series of creams, as does Cyril Salter. They run $18-25 plus shipping. Taylors (pictured, and equally liked) runs $15 or so (plus shipping) for the 5-6 oz. tub, which is quite a bit. For Soaps there's Mama Bear, among others.

These products are very slick, soften your beard, and cushion your face. They whip up a ton of lather and you have your choice of scents. You don't use much, so a cake of good domestic soap (like Mama Bear) at $7 (or less) might last you half a year. Of course there's the brush thing but you shouldn't be buying those but every five years or so.

Can I tell the difference? You bet. Is it worth the price? Above $10, it's less a matter of economics, and more plain preference. But I haven't considered it money wasted. There is high-price garbage out there, as well. Won't name names, though.

And yes, the razor and technique matter too. But, even then I wouldn't go back to Barbasol, or Edge, or Aveeno, or anything from a can, for that matter.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
I love Mama Bears, especially at the price. Better yet, she stands behind her work and keeps in contact with the shaving community.

Truefitt & Hill on the other hand, which is expensive as all heck, beats my faces ass.

Its all about what works for you that defines whether or not expensive shaving cream is "worth it".

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
I love Mama Bears, especially at the price. Better yet, she stands behind her work and keeps in contact with the shaving community.

Truefitt & Hill on the other hand, which is expensive as all heck, beats my faces ass.

Its all about what works for you that defines whether or not expensive shaving cream is "worth it".

T&H I find works VERY well for me but their scents are too much for some strange reason
frown.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I swear by the Art of Shaving, cost be damned.

I tried a sample of AOS Lavender IIRC, scent was wonderful.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Ive always been happy with my Body Shop stuff. Inexpensive, works well.

The brush matters more though - I always figured the whole badger thing was crap til I bought one off eBay, it's terrific.

jett

Reaction score
Anyone here not use any shaving cream? I personally can't stand the stuff.

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
recommend looking at this site:

http://groups.msn.com/thewetshaversgroup

I use the lavender by T&H. I also enjoy Trumpers rose.

Yes, high priced shaving creams are really worth it with proper wetshaving techniques.

Also, highly advise going against the grain with sensitive skin. Do one pass with the grain, relather and do another pass across the grain.

Check out the site, it is invaluable.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
Anyone here not use any shaving cream? I personally can't stand the stuff.

well I use the Gillete Gel stuff (blue toothpaste-style tube at the supermarket)and I'm very happy with it. Foams seem, to me, stupid, as its mostly air. Gel is just straigt-up lube. I'm sure there's better and fancier out there, but I have too many expensive consumerist hobbies as it is, so ignorance is bliss in my case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads