• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are high end watches (e.g., Patek) gaudy?

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

Just shipping a Lange properly to Glashütte for servicing costs an arm and a leg.

I've heard of terrific experiences with Alkis in NYC. No first-hand experience yet.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
medtech - apologies in advance if you own one - but the Lange TZ looks really awful IMO.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
I've heard of terrific experiences with Alkis in NYC. No first-hand experience yet.

I have had such great experiences with the factory staff that I really wouldn't consider going a different route.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
medtech - apologies in advance if you own one - but the Lange TZ looks really awful IMO.

lookaround.gif

Yes.

- B

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FAIK, Alkis isn't exactly cheap either and he can have a really long queue at times. But I agree that people using him seem very happy.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Never pulled the trigger as it didn't suit me. I find the dial a bit of a bastardization of the L1, and the case at 41.9mm is too large for my wrist.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I have this uncanny ability to know whether Vox posted something snarky before even opening a thread.

geuu_02_img0335.jpg

- B

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without a doubt.

I just checked and 5110P prices have barely nudged 10% last year. Not exactly a crash of epic proportions....
plain.gif

Probably cause it's a discontinued model and afficianados like you are looking for it.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine runs a pawn shop just over the bridge from Palm Beach, FL. Lots of action this year as islanders got "Subprimed," "Madoffed," "Stanford-ed" and "Rothsteined," (in that order).

He's pretty picky about what he buys, and he's paying between .20 - .30 on the dollar. Shipped $3.5 million of inventory to the last big show in Vegas. The only thing he could sell out there were Rolexes, Pateks, and one lonely Breguet (a gold 3211, I think). His other stuff didn't sell.

He said it was the worst year ever.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ friend of mine in the pre-owned market says Rolex and Patek are the only watches worth keeping if you're after retained value.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
^ friend of mine in the pre-owned market says Rolex and Patek are the only watches worth keeping if you're after retained value.
Some "smaller house" watches that will go up in value over time (like Foo's Big Pilot mentioned above). However, if you want a watch you can sell in a hurry without losing your shirt, I think Rolex, Patek, and possibly Pans are really your only choices. Even Patek is a little tricky. I had an older PP Travel Time I inherited that I finally sold. It was kind of an oddball watch, very rare factory gold mesh band that was WELDED to the watch, smaller size, and very very yellow variety of gold made it unpopular when I finally decided to sell it (it received much hate here, if memory serves). The rare band that made it a collector's watch in the early 90's made it a hard sell in the 00's. I think men's watches are trending away from the monstrosities guys have been wearing lately. Thinner is slowly coming back into vogue. I think the huge IWC pilots, for example, are slowly becoming a tougher sell, and I think that trend will continue as people look for less Flavor Flav, more Agnelli (watch size, not over the cuff implementation). There will still be a contingent of under endowed, Audigier-clad, forearm-shaving "bro's" who will wear Panerai, but I think they'll find their way out of the mainstream in favor of medium-sized timepieces. Note: This is all speculation and I'm usually wrong. If you're smart you'll start snapping up everything 44mm and above.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Panerai myself, although now that they can be considered a proper manufacture they have the flexibility to scale down their cases to sub-42mm and target those of us who are not under-endowed, Audigier-clad nor forearm-shaven.

Seriously? Do people shave forearms??
facepalm.gif

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

frown.gif
Its my favorite Lange - I think it looks lovely. I'd love it even more if the case size were a bit smaller (~40mm)

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
frown.gif
Its my favorite Lange - I think it looks lovely. I'd love it even more if the case size were a bit smaller (~40mm)

I think it's great that we don't all like the same watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics