• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are high end watches (e.g., Patek) gaudy?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
But isn't this more or less true for every product and every price point?
Yeah, I dunno, watches appeal to a special breed of nerds and aesthetic taste seem to be quite limited in that group vs an appreciation for technical qualities (or $$$/status). But yeah, I was just answering the OP's query. I really dislike complications and other gimmicks so this, of course, informs my very biased opinion. I mean you've seen one of the watches I own and, considering I asked you, must have noticed how much I don't care about the technical aspects or brand differences.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying and that's your own preference to disregard the technical aspect for a minimalist aesthetic. What I'm saying is that, by definition, consumer products - whether expensive or not - are designed and marketed for a multitude of demographics, tastes, etc... so that, for any given individual, most of what is out there (cars, clothes, shoes, houses, etc...) will seem atrocious and only a small % of the wide ranges of products sold will be appealing.

You find most high-end watches ugly - I would agree with that - but that's probably true for everything IMO.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying and that's your own preference to disregard the technical aspect for a minimalist aesthetic. What I'm saying is that, by definition, consumer products - whether expensive or not - are designed and marketed for a multitude of demographics, tastes, etc... so that, for any given individual, most of what is out there (cars, clothes, shoes, houses, etc...) will seem atrocious and only a small % of the wide ranges of products sold will be appealing. You find most high-end watches ugly - I would agree with that - but that's probably true for everything IMO.
Yeah, pretty much. However one thing that characterizes my appreciation of things is how I often enjoy stuff that I wouldn't wear/buy. In watches I just find most models gaudy on EVERYONE. Of course this is also true of other consumer goods (best example being cars which I almost universally dislike). Generally speaking you are, however, 100% correct.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I'm struggling to find any cars that I don't find ugly. When we were on the market to buy a place, we must have visited 40 apartments before we found one or two that didn't depress us. When I flip through watch magazines, I struggle to find two models that I would actually want to own/wear.

Patek14

Reaction score
Simple, small, timeless calatravas are NOT gaudy. If it were guady it would come from style and an item trying to obnoxiously be more than it is.

I wear a Breitling (colt, non chrono) and Breitling is actually a borderline gaudy brand of watches. In the 4-5 years I've worn it, I have gotten two, maybe three compliments. If I wore a PP calatrava or some other 20K+ understated dress watch I would probably have gotten 0 compliments.

I remember once when I was at a conference and a colleage just bought a new quartz gucci watch (or some similar peice of crap fashion brand). He got more compliments during lunch than I ever have.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Tell me about it. I'm struggling to find any cars that I don't find ugly. When we were on the market to buy a place, we must have visited 40 apartments before we found one or two that didn't depress us. When I flip through watch magazines, I struggle to find two models that I would actually want to own/wear.

60s fiat, not very practical in cold climates or if you have a family. I also like old Jags. I'm not much of a vintage dude myself, I dunno why things went wrong with cars. If I had to buy one now I'd probably get a gaudy black Mercedes SUV and get rims just cause it would be funny. Waking up one month later and realizing I own this **** would probably cause me a heart attack though...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
n518040563_7050572_8057532.jpg
A good car for New York.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
A Patek Calatrava is one of the most understated and elegant watches. It takes literally hundreds of hours to manufacturer such a fine timepiece unlike many other mass-produced Swiss watches. There is a reason why their slogan states that "You never actually own a patek, but you merely look after it for the next generation".

People spend their hard earned money on different things. Some people here don't blink while spending several grand on a bespoke suit. And then there are CEOs who wear JAB suits.

One thing about Patek is that many of their watches appreciate in value over time or at least keep its value. We all know that this isn't the case for luxury cars.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only cars that I think really "have it" these days are Audi and Lexus. Everything else just looks like generic crap (at least the ones sold in the States).

In the interest of full disclosure, I do drive a Lexus, but I didn't buy it for its looks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads