Are high end watches (e.g., Patek) gaudy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnnyCrockett, Jan 8, 2010.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I've only gotten comments on it from other Lange owners.

- B

Lange pwns. Great, great watches. Probably my favorite made today.

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I have a rose gold Day-Date. It's probably the "gaudiest" watch I have. But it's always under a cuff so nobody sees it. If nobody can admire my bling, is it still bling? If a tree falls in a forest...?

3. JohnnyCrockett

JohnnyCrockett Senior member

I suppose the anger (?) this thread has elicited answers the question for me...at least as far as SF is concerned, the answer to my question is "no". I really don't see why people are getting so bent out of shape. The watch I posted in my original post is a watch which I personally find beautiful (it is my favorite, in fact), which is specifically why I asked the question. Maybe the watch isn't the same as owning a K50 but is it, in anyone's eyes, akin to driving a Bentley? This, too, is another example of something which is just a bit over the top, no matter what you can afford. A BMW, Mercedes, Lexus is a better car, and I think driving a Bentley/Rolls is making a statement (I'm sure some will be angry at me for saying this)...and not one upon which I look fondly. There are certainly people in the US with plenty of money who do not buy expensive things. I hate the term...and discussing class in general is pretty icky...but undoubtedly there are those who would consider spending $15K on a watch to be a completely "nouveau" thing to do, no matter how much money the buyer has. This question doesn't apply to Europe or other parts of the world (where standards and cultural norms are different, and more expensive items which have the quality to match are much more appreciated than they are in the US).

4. CrimProf

CrimProf Well-Known Member

I suppose the anger (?) this thread has elicited answers the question for me...at least as far as SF is concerned, the answer to my question is "no".

I really don't see why people are getting so bent out of shape. The watch I posted in my original post is a watch which I personally find beautiful (it is my favorite, in fact), which is specifically why I asked the question.

Maybe the watch isn't the same as owning a K50 but is it, in anyone's eyes, akin to driving a Bentley? This, too, is another example of something which is just a bit over the top, no matter what you can afford. A BMW, Mercedes, Lexus is a better car, and I think driving a Bentley/Rolls is making a statement (I'm sure some will be angry at me for saying this)...and not one upon which I look fondly.

There are certainly people in the US with plenty of money who do not buy expensive things. I hate the term...and discussing class in general is pretty icky...but undoubtedly there are those who would consider spending $15K on a watch to be a completely "nouveau" thing to do, no matter how much money the buyer has. This question doesn't apply to Europe or other parts of the world (where standards and cultural norms are different, and more expensive items which have the quality to match are much more appreciated than they are in the US).

It's way better than owning a Bentley. You have to leave a Bentley in the parking lot. You can wear that Patek anywhere. And if you're slumming it with your poorer cousins and worry what they think, you can hide it under your cuff. Unless they are educated in watch brands, or you feel the need to tell them the brand and the cost, they'll probably mistake it for a Seiko.

5. BRIMSTONE

BRIMSTONE Well-Known Member

Mmmm, lets see. Patek gaudy? I do not think so. It has been considered the watch makers watch for the longest time. Patek's are understated and elegant. I have a 5059 and a old model calatrava. They do not attract attention. My Brietling shadow flyback (polished) and my Chronoswiss Opus attract more attention then my Pateks. If you want to see gaudy just look at all the rappers and the crap they wear. Watches loaded up with diamonds (mostly Rolex presidents). These watches are bling bling watches. Bling bling watches are more about the outside of the watch as aposed to the internal mechanisms (most likely people that have very low self worth that have to bring themselves up by purchasing such a gaudy item). Keep in mind not everyone values mechanial watches. A $10.00 digital watch will keep better time. I've run into people that wear digital watches but have a large collection of very expensive watches. I'm currently working in Saudi and my brother is in the UAE. I have friends that deal in high end watches and jewellery that would blow people away. Like everywhere else we have the Rolex, Cartier and numberous other watches that are considered status symbols. These watches are instantly recognized by a majority of the public. The advice I can give is this, if you truely appreciate mechanisms , its within your limit (if you can afford it) and you find it appeals to you purchase it. If not, do not spend your money.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Mmmm, lets see. Patek gaudy? I do not think so. It has been considered the watch makers watch for the longest time. Patek's are understated and elegant. I have a 5059 and a old model calatrava. They do not attract attention. My Brietling shadow flyback (polished) and my Chronoswiss Opus attract more attention then my Pateks. If you want to see gaudy just look at all the rappers and the crap they wear. Watches loaded up with diamonds (mostly Rolex presidents). These watches are bling bling watches. Bling bling watches are more about the outside of the watch as aposed to the internal mechanisms (most likely people that have very low self worth that have to bring themselves up by purchasing such a gaudy item). Keep in mind not everyone values mechanial watches. A $10.00 digital watch will keep better time. I've run into people that wear digital watches but have a large collection of very expensive watches. I'm currently working in Saudi and my brother is in the UAE. I have friends that deal in high end watches and jewellery that would blow people away. Like everywhere else we have the Rolex, Cartier and numberous other watches that are considered status symbols. These watches are instantly recognized by a majority of the public. The advice I can give is this, if you truely appreciate mechanisms , its within your limit (if you can afford it) and you find it appeals to you purchase it. If not, do not spend your money.

They aren't all subtle.

[​IMG]

7. BillyMaysHere!

BillyMaysHere! Senior member

Is there a dollar sign made of diamonds?
    Does the watch diameter reach or exceed 5cm?
    No?
    Enjoy your watch.

8. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

At the end of the day, buy what you can afford and what you like and bugger anyone elses opinion.

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I wouldn't say the higher end watches are gaudy, no. IWC, Patek, JLC, &C...it takes a real connoisseur to notice them on your wrist. In the three years I've owned an IWC, I think it has been noticed and commented on about four times.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I feel like the sheer act of owning such an expensive yet clearly inferior (because it's not quartz) product is a bit gaudy.
    I see this statement all the time in watch threads and it drives me crazy, because it misses the point entirely. A photograph captures an image much more accurately than a painting, but no one is paying $50 million for photograph of a vase with flowers. Why? Because there is great deal of human ingenuity and creativity that go into making a fine painting. The same is true for a fine mechanical watch.

11. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

Gaudiness is function of taste, not price. Admittedly, it is easier to execute a show of gaudiness with a reasonable bankroll, but gaudiness certainly thrives across the entire socioeconomic spectrum. With this in mind, an expensive timepiece isn't necessarily gaudy per se...

By way of example, I have acquired 2 Langes and an FP Journe over the years, all in white metals. I fully appreciate that none of these are as accurate as the Swatch I wore when 15 years old, but I feel this misses the point entirely. As someone who works in technology, I'm fascinated with the micro-mechanical precision, innovative engineering and rich history involved in these handmade timepieces. We all extol the virtues of artisan craftsmanship - be it for shoes or a bespoke suit - and I feel that haute horologerie in general and Lange in particular epitomizes this virtue. Every Lange timepiece is hand assembled not once, but twice. The first time is to ensure proper functioning and rate of the movement, after which it is completely disassembled so that each component (many of which are hidden in the movement and not visible to the eye) can be painstakingly engraved or polished by hand. The result, IMHO, is a work of extraordinary beauty (rich in depth, texture and color) which gives me pause nearly every time I place or remove it from my wrist. Below the movement of my hand-wound Lange 1815 chronograph:

[​IMG]

In my experience, my watches are only recognized very infrequently by fellow WIS and are completely overlooked by the general public. Ironically, if they were less under-the-radar and drew more attention, I would still have these pieces even if only to enjoy at home. Finally, although a timepiece may retail for more than a fine automobile, those who know where to purchase can attain nearly SF-levels of discounting.

12. Pantisocrat

Pantisocrat Senior member

very nice watch. ^

13. DGP

DGP Senior member

A $20k watch is only gaudy if everyone knows it's a $20k watch. I've seen many a $6k watch much, much gaudier than the Patek you posted.

14. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Most high-end watches look atrocious and this is true for every brand. The watch posted in the OP is quite nice though...

Oh and watches aren't art, sorry.

Note: I do own swiss watches...

15. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Most high-end watches look atrocious and this is true for every brand. The watch posted in the OP is quite nice though...

But isn't this more or less true for every product and every price point?