• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are high end watches (e.g., Patek) gaudy?

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the pictured watch and like it a lot.

CrimProf

Reaction score
Think of the Patek as akin to purchasing a work of art. As most folks here have already said, almost nobody will be in the know enough to recognize the sheer class you have on your wrist. Those who are in the know will appreciate your taste and certainly not think the worse of you for it.

After all, that's how I feel about Vox's Lange. I always get a kick out of his pictures of it. Vox: How often does anybody remark critically about the watch?

I wear a $4,500 watch--a price that 90% of the public would see as totally unreasonable for a watch--but have never had anybody recognize it and call me out.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrimProf
Think of the Patek as akin to purchasing a work of art. As most folks here have already said, almost nobody will be in the know enough to recognize the sheer class you have on your wrist. Those who are in the know will appreciate your taste and certainly not think the worse of you for it.

After all, that's how I feel about Vox's Lange. I always get a kick out of his pictures of it. Vox: How often does anybody remark critically about the watch?

I wear a $4,500 watch--a price that 99.999% of the public would see as totally unreasonable for a watch--but have never had anybody recognize it and call me out.

FTFY

CrimProf

Reaction score
Lol--thanks Mr. Moo! "90%" is just my way of saying "an awful lot of people."

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
A watch tells time. A $20 watch will tell it about as well as a $20,000 watch. It's all personal. There are guys renting in Manhattan rocking $15,000 watches and guys owning $20,000,000 homes wearing $20 watches. I'd say the guy with the apartment and the watch costing as much as a Civic definitely looks like he's proving something. If a millionairre had a $20,000 watch it would be in scope with the rest of his lifestyle. Of course, looking gaudy is probably what you're asking about... the watch up there isn't gaudy by any means, on any wrist.

What if your rent is 10K a month, how much can you spend on a watch?

peezie

Reaction score
Ironically, most people don't know what a Patek is, and so are more likely to think a Rolex is gaudy. Which it can be. Any understated watch is in good taste, regardless of brand. Understand this is a different question than whether the watch is quality in and of itself. I think the question is whether a statement like this in a tough(er) economy is something to be ashamed of. Thing is, the higher you go with watches, the less likely people that know what they're looking at are going to be offended.
teacha.gif
In that regard, CrimProf has it nailed.

Montrachet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
It just feels to me like buying a watch like a Patek is more akin to buying Kiton's $50K "K50" RTW suit...which I think we can all agree is stupid.

I don't think this is the same thing. Sure, quartz is more accurate, but the craftsmanship in the mechanical movement does put this more into the work of art category as others have said. In this way it has something to offer for the money, whereas a $50k RTW suit only exists to be expensive as an end in itself. The watch is more akin to taking a sail boat: sure there are faster, cheaper, safer ways to get around, but none of them are sailing. The suit is more in the category of that $999.99 iPhone app: it's only expensive. That's gaudy.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JPHardy

Originally Posted by Hehlol
It's rich watching a bunch of people who try so hard to be 'classy adults' on the Internet act exactly the way children would when criticized. A new poster said something about the community being tasteless and now the community's actions have basically proven him correct. It's amazing how you guys do it and still believe yourselves so refined.

Styleforum is a great place to come to learn about brands and quality and options, but it isn't a place to come about actual style. Use the forum for what you can, for some people it's posting in threads about all the new stuff they bought on credit, for others, it's reading about what others bought, learning about these items and investigating based on their own taste.

- B

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JPHardy

$120,000 in rent per year. Average rent is 25% of your income. So income = $480,000. Watch price should not exceed $24,000, or 5% of total income.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CrimProf

I've only gotten comments on it from other Lange owners.

- B

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Nice. Is your 5127 white gold or platinum?

- B

Well, I spoke too generally. I have a 5107, which has a flatter bezel. And it's rose gold. It's just a nice small-ish dress watch. I'm a fran.

DeanCorso

Reaction score
That watch is gorgeously understated. I'm in no position to decide if it's overpriced, though it exceeds my own threshold. But...

For those individuals in a position to own a $25,000 wristwatch while maintaining their lifestyle - and hopefully still contributing positively to society - the watch in this thread seems like a terrific choice.

They gain the sense that they own the very best, which brings them joy when the put it on; and yet they are going out of their way not to flaunt it to the world with some diamond encrusted obscenity screaming out for attention. ...that, they leave to their trophy wife.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The correct answer is no. Period.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads