• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Helmut Lang selvage?

mattjames

Reaction score
Not all of their models, of course, but do they produce selvage jeans? If they are raw do you think they'll be selvage?

Babar

Reaction score
He did it on occasion, but most of the raw stuff was non-selvage, and I don't think any of the washed or rinsed jeans were selvage either. But the denim was still really nice and durable--easily on par with much of the selvage stuff out there imo.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Those are not selvage. I haven't seen a pair of selvage HL jeans in a long time.

Do you know that by looking at them, or is it just an educated guess because you know what Helmut Lang produces?

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattjames
Do you know that by looking at them, or is it just an educated guess because you know what Helmut Lang produces?

Since they're stretch jeans, they're definitely not selvage

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar

That's a good point.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Babar

What he said. Also, based on personal experience in hunting for a pair of selvage HL jeans.

mattjames

Reaction score
If anyone can tell me if HL run true to size, big or small, etc, I'd be very grateful.

Babar

Reaction score
If anyone can tell me if HL run true to size, big or small, etc, I'd be very grateful.

They run true to size ime.

giantreptile

Reaction score

helmut lang run a smidge small. so if you are on the big side of a size, go up one. especially in terms of thigh size or for shirts shoulder size. of course someone will probably chime in and tell you the opposite.

mattjames

Reaction score
Thanks for the swift replies. I measure exactly 35 at the waist, which means that depending on the brand, I will wear a 34 or a 36. It sounds like I would need to go to 36 for HL, especially as the pair I'm looking at are slim and tapered. But I would hate for them to be baggy. Saggy ass does not look good.

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would get the 34 as the stretch is pretty forgiving, and if you want them slim, slim they will be. I'm a 31 in HL classic 5 pocket and I can fit nicely into a size 30 of the stretch varieties. The tapering of the legs might change how the fit works, though, but I would start with the 34.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a true 30. My 30 HL measures just about 31", which I like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads