Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are french cuffs more comfortable?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, Nov 29, 2004.

1. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

Perhaps I'm being naive, but wouldn't it be possible to just ask one's tailor to remove the button from an existing cuff and replace it with a second buttonhole in order to produce a single link cuff?

2. drljva

drljva Senior member

Yes, I suppose that could easily be done, though I've never asked for it.

The shirts that I have that fall under this category are all "European". Eton shirts, for example, all come this way. I've got a couple of Zegna Nap. C. shirts that come this way as well. First time I saw someone wearing one of these, I thought it looked a bit odd. But, now having owned a dozen or so of these shirts, I've grown to like the flexibility.

JV

3. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I find French cuffs to be more comfortable because they can open partially at the wrist when you move, unlike button cuffs which seem more restricting (button closer to the wrist? overlap of fabric on button cuff?).

4. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'd like to hear Mr. Goldberg weigh in on this, as we've heard from Mr. Kabbaz. Single Link Cuffs sound like an attractive option.

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

I would say it is equal but double cuffs are not practical with a jumper.

6. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

Having worn single cuff shirts, I will say that they are more comfortable than double cuff. What's more, no one but those paying attention to such details (few and far between where I work) ever even notice that it is a single cuff. The problem is that cuff links are designed for double cuffs and as a result with most modern cuff links the wrist feels lose and has a gap between the two sides. As a result, I wear my single cuff shirts with either silk knots or some of the antique double sided cuff links that for whatever reason have a smaller bar connecting the two sides.

7. Smooth Jazz

Smooth Jazz Well-Known Member

Alex Kabbaz may be able to answer this one better, but wouldn't the shirt tend to gap much more above the wrist if this is done? I'm experimenting with the button cuff I am wearing as I type this.

8. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I am intrigued by these. I wondered a long time ago why something like this didn't exist, but I figured there must be a good reason. Another benefit is that now one may get cuffs that look like French cuffs, but with an end detail- curved or beveled corner at the end of the cuff. When I get around to having Jantzen make me some shirts I will be sure to throw this wrench in the works.

I guess some special single-cuff links need to be made or identified, although I know I have a few sets that are very tight on doubled cuffs, so they would work well.

9. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

No, it is not proper to just remove a button from a button cuff and replace it with a buttonhole. The small sleeve placket need to be reversed as well. As per your requests, here are a couple of link cuff pix. 'scuse the quality of the pix and the age of the shirt. The links are handmade dichroic glass experiments. [​IMG] [​IMG] It does follow that the links need not be large enough (front to back) to go through four holes. I have a few antiques with shorter distances which work nicely.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I have a bunch of those "single cuff" shirts. They were really popular with the Prada and Miu Miu design crews a few years back. Wierd at the time, I thought, buta apparently not...

11. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Jantzen does offer cuff style 6S, which is a convertible cuff similar to what Paul Smith often uses on its barrel cuff shirts. Specifically, a button hole on both ends of the cuff, and a single button positioned just nest to one of the button holes to close the cuff without links. [​IMG] Hopefully Ricky won't mind me pasting this image here if I also plug his site www.jantzentailor.com. [​IMG] Speaking of cufflinks, does anyone know of a good online source for simple, reasonably priced cufflinks that DON'T have that ugly little rotating flapper thing on one end? Montecristo

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Ebay. I've purchased several pairs of late ranging in price from $2 to $32. Most are sterling, and I'm quite pleased with them. None of them have the little t-bar thingy; they're all double sided links.

For the single cuff shirts I would think snap links would be perfect.

13. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, we know what Mr. Kabbaz asks his shirtmaker to do. [​IMG] There are a few benefits to French cuffs other than the ones he had mentioned, however. For one, you can get a soft cuff that doesn't collapse in on itself if it isn't starched. And with respect to single cuffs, "most formal" does not always equal "most correct." Still, he's got me thinking about the problem, and I might just try a few next time I'm in the market.

14. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Yes, I guess this is what I was thinking -- a softer cuff that is still not so thin that it collapses, wrinkles, etc.

Plus, it seems like the french cuff gives you a more substantial "roll" at the cuff edge. Being that it is rolled, it is less likely to sort of "cut into the skin" when you have your wrists resting on your desk (the manner in which I type, even though that is not the preferred method of typing). I guess this is what I was after.

15. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

One of the nicest way to dress the wrist is with a snug fitting double cuff. This is also the catch - most french (freedom?) cuffs are too loose and look sloppy. It's much easier to get an acceptable barrel cuff in RTW and you can always move the button a bit, not that I've ever gotten around to it [​IMG] Regarding single cuffs - please do not wear them with the button still attached. This always hurts my eyes to see and makes me think of somebody who has tried to get a two-for-one deal. A barrel cuff for daily use and something that can pass for a double cuff for formal use. B