• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are flu shots a good idea?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never had one, do they work?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They work, in the sense that they reduce your chances of getting flu from those particular virus strains but will not provide absolute protection from flu. They're generally recommended if you're older, debilitated/ immunocompromised or at higher risk of frequent virus exposure. I had 'reactions' to my jabs (mild/ moderate flu like symptoms) so I don't get them anymore.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh.gif

bimmernate

Reaction score
Mild flu like symptoms are reported for a day or two after the shot but nothing serious. I got mine, glad I did. Did not experience any of the above mentioned systems, I guess it depends on the person.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
They work, in the sense that they reduce your chances of getting flu from those particular virus strains but will not provide absolute protection from flu. They're generally recommended if you're older, debilitated/ immunocompromised or at higher risk of frequent virus exposure. I had 'reactions' to my jabs (mild/ moderate flu like symptoms) so I don't get them anymore.

+1 Avoid all vaccinations if you possibly can. My dog had a vaccination, developed a severe reaction and eventually died as a result.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are old are you? If you are young and healthy with a good immune system I would say they are not necessary. If you are otherwise then go ahead with it.

mikej77

Reaction score
I thought that the CDC recommended that everyone receive a flu vaccination this year, not just the elderly and young. Has anyone else heard this?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always try to get the flu shot every year. Statistically, it helps more than it harms. Same with just about every other vaccination.

Pylon

Reaction score
I got the stick in the arm, so I guess we'll find out if it was a good idea or not. If I die and suddenly stop posting, don't get a flu shot this year.
devil.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Flu shots contain mercury and aluminum, and only protect against 3 or 4 strains. Considering that there are hundreds of strains out there, and that I feel like crap a month or two after the shot, I quit taking them. I never get the flu anyway so long as I take vitamin C and zinc.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
+1 Avoid all vaccinations if you possibly can. My dog had a vaccination, developed a severe reaction and eventually died as a result.

My dog has had vaccinations, now eats dog ****, and will eventually die. So be very, very careful.

Edit: I don't by my flippancy mean to be callous about the passing of Joel's dog, for which he has my sympathy.

breakdown

Reaction score
Personally I'd rather get exposed to as many viruses as possible while my body is able to fight them and build an immunity to the various strains. I'd rather wait until I'm at a more risky age, and I'm sure vaccinations will be more effective and safe by then, too.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you have very small children or live with the elderly or are immuno-compromised they are a good idea.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakdown
Personally I'd rather get exposed to as many viruses as possible while my body is able to fight them and build an immunity to the various strains. I'd rather wait until I'm at a more risky age, and I'm sure vaccinations will be more effective and safe by then, too.

There are several things wrong with this line of thinking.

A) the vaccine does expose you to strains of viruses
2) you do build immunity through vaccination (that is the whole point)
III) influenza evolves incredibly rapidly and so a strain you built immunity to this year, will likely not be around next year or 10 years from now

theinsider

Reaction score
I just got a flu shot couple days ago.
My arm was sore for one day, probably due to the needle, and that was about it.
I was told that severe reaction to a flu shot is a rare occurence.
It sucks to catch flue. Hoping it wont happen this year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads