• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Fax Machines Obsolete?

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still use a fax pretty frequently. It is my secret shame (not a secret now though).
frown.gif

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still receive faxes on occasion. We move a lot of documents back and forth, and not all departments have a system for uploading images. It seems to be pretty common in our purchasing division as well. I assume this is because a lot of vendors aren't yet electronic.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We use the fax machine all the time. In fact, the I would guess the majority of our orders arrive by fax. Of course, they could just as easily be e-mailed, and sometimes are e-mailed in addition to fax, but that puppy hums all day long. I suppose it's somewhat arcane, but when your customers are still addicted to it, you are too.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We still use them pretty regularly. I think once EVERYONE starts scanning and PDF'ing documents we can do away with the fax machine... but until then it's the trusty standby that everyone can use

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My dad's companies seem to use eFax a lot, but he still receives faxes.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's still useful for stuff that needs to be signed and the original sig is not needed. You could use a scanner, but there are more steps involved, I'd rather use a fax.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I even have 2 fax machines at the office

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
In the legal field they are still used fairly frequently.

Originally Posted by javyn
Yeah, I hate when lawyers correspond via e-mail. Leads to all kinds of bullshit.

My small firm routinely faxes out giant faxes with dozens (if not hundreds) of pages all the time, though I think there's a computer on the other end that stores the faxes instead of printing them out. Email would be a much speedier option, but until there's a standard for encryption and signatures that everyone would adopt, it's simply not feasible.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We use ours all the time. Of course this coming from an industry that still uses these as our main form of printing-
oki-microline-320-and-321-turbo.286975.jpg

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still use fax frequently, the best part about fax is that you can almost guarantee that what goes in one and comes out the other in the correct formatting, it is also much easier to fax a document than it is to scan and email it, plus once you send someone a scanned copy they can manipulate it with ease and due to the high resolution they could probably print what would appear to be an original.

On another note, I still use a pencil and notebook to sort out my budget and write down finances, can't stand doing it electronically, you can never get the layout the way you want it and it doesn't have the same weight to it, for me it is easier to remember something I have written with my own hand in my handwriting.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
Still use fax frequently, the best part about fax is that you can almost guarantee that what goes in one and comes out the other in the correct formatting, it is also much easier to fax a document than it is to scan and email it, plus once you send someone a scanned copy they can manipulate it with ease and due to the high resolution they could probably print what would appear to be an original.

Ever hear of pdfs?

And you don't think someone can scan your fax, **** with it, and print it out?

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PDFs are great, but they aren't easily edittable and hog resources. I do use them for many things, but they're too much of a pain for quick jobs.

As far as scanning faxes goes, usually the quality of a fax is so bad nobody would mistake it for an original, sure you could lower the quality on your scan, but thats more mucking around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads