• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are fake suits "a thing"?

Simone1

Reaction score
Hi. I am currently looking into buying a Tom Ford suit on ebay. I found a few good options, but I am keen to know if there is a slight chance that the suits might be counterfeits.
If I am buying from a reputable seller, and I have the ebay money back guarantee protection - what are the risks?

Thanks gentlemen.

Edit: Let me emphasize that I am not purchasing this, because I believe it is the best suit I can get for my money.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is every chance that such a thing will be faked. In simple terms if something can be "faked" someone, somewhere will do so.

When buying on an online auction site extreme caution much be exercised and items are best avoided. On eBay even the most honest sounding trader may well be selling fake goods; the benefits of selling in one in five items as fakes is huge, most buyers will not even know.

Ask yourself why are things cheap on eBay? If the manufacturer had been off-loading stock cheaply why have its established retail outlets not picked up that stock at the cheap price to enhance their own margins?

If it is cheap it is more likely to be fake, 'you pays your money and you takes your chance' . Buy it if you want but don't be surprised if it is a crap copy.

Simone1

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply! Definitely some good advice.

I found two ebay sellers in Europe, both of them have a physical store with the items available on ebay, and they have many good feedbacks. Their price is roughly 1200 pounds for a TF suit, and retail from department stores are 2200, so its 40-50% discount. However, these models are not the essential classics like solid navy, solid charcoal etc, most of them have some patterns, which would make sense to me if they were purchasing these items from outlets to create a profit. :)

Simone1

Reaction score
sorry for asking.

Yorker

Reaction score
If you're wanting to buy a tom ford suit on eBay, but don't have the experience yet to confidently identify fakes, then you should probably be asking yourself some questions.

You would likely be better served by reading more info online, trying on more things in person, and starting with brands that deliver a better cost to value ratio than tom ford.

Simone1

Reaction score
I have tried a Tom Ford suit on in Harrods, and I know my size etc perfectly.

I also own/have tried/sold as a sales associate suits from: suitsupply, hugo boss, canali, corneliani, tagliatore, pal zileri, zegna, kiton - so I know exactly where I get the most quality for my bucks, dont worry. I am interested in buying a TF suit, because I am a huge fan of him and I also own multiple Tom Ford items (from Tom Ford era and Gucci Era) - the TF suits have a strong signature look, and they are super appealing to me, because I wear suits when going out in the evening etc.

I would never buy a Tom Ford suit for work, and I would never recommend anyone investing in a Tom Ford suit, before a Canali suit for example.

I just know that many people on this forum and other style sites are talking about great prices on suits on ebay, and I wanted to ask which risks you take, even when you are covered by the ebay money back protection :)

Quarks

Reaction score
I am happy to advice over PM if you are still uncertain abt authenticity of TF ebay sellers.

I have tried a Tom Ford suit on in Harrods, and I know my size etc perfectly. 

I also own/have tried/sold as a sales associate suits from: suitsupply, hugo boss, canali, corneliani, tagliatore, pal zileri, zegna, kiton - so I know exactly where I get the most quality for my bucks, dont worry. I am interested in buying a TF suit, because I am a huge fan of him and I also own multiple Tom Ford items (from Tom Ford era and Gucci Era) - the TF suits have a strong signature look, and they are super appealing to me, because I wear suits when going out in the evening etc.

I would never buy a Tom Ford suit for work, and I would never recommend anyone investing in a Tom Ford suit, before a Canali suit for example. 

I just know that many people on this forum and other style sites are talking about great prices on suits on ebay, and I wanted to ask which risks you take, even when you are covered by the ebay money back protection :)

Last edited:

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I would wait for a sale at Harrods or somewhere reputable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads