• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are Duffle Coat's supposed to be looong?

sk317

Reaction score
For the most part, the ones I find around are only a few inches above your knees. I mean, even high-end ones like Burberry makes some pretty long duffle coats. I'm talking about something like 36"-39" from the nape to the hem. Is that normal or am I not looking in the right places? I'd like a duffle coat for this winter, but I'm a little afraid a long one would shorten my legs (not literally...) If anyone could educate me on some duffle coat style lore, that'd be cool.

Archivist

Reaction score
Duffle coats traditionally fall around the knee. It's a winter coat, developed for fishermen in the North Atlantic, and then adopted by the Royal Navy during WW 2. It's supposed to protect you from both bitter cold and wet, and the toggle and loop fasteners are supposed to be easier to open and close (than buttons) when you have on heavy gloves and your fingers are half frozen. The length is a feature, it helps protect your legs, and keeps wind and spray from getting up the skirt of the thing.

Shorter mid thigh coats can be more stylish, giving a better line to the leg as you note, but they don't protect from the weather as well. You can find contemporary duffle coats that hit at mid thigh. A quick search finds this:
http://veilance.arcteryx.com/Product...07-Duffle-Coat

The question you have to answer for yourself is, what are your needs? What kind of weather will you be out in, and for how long. If you will wear it in the rain, keep in mind a short coat will funnel water straight onto your legs. Also, duffle coats can be very warm and relatively heavier that a lot of other coats.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine hits just below the knee.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have three: one hits at the knee, another above the knee, and one below the knee.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archivist

Shorter mid thigh coats can be more stylish, giving a better line to the leg as you note, but they don't protect from the weather as well. You can find contemporary duffle coats that hit at mid thigh. A quick search finds this:
http://veilance.arcteryx.com/Product...07-Duffle-Coat

Great info, I enjoyed reading your informative response. The Arcteryx Veilance actually looks quite nice.

davist

Reaction score
I have a Gloverall, which may or may not be the "original" but they've been around forever, theirs fit more or less at the knee, mine's about 40" from the neck to hem. They show some history at their site: http://www.gloverall.com/ I really like mine, got it at STP for a deal, just had to be a bit patient.

sk317

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the informative response.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.