• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are double monks played out?

leapyourbar

Reaction score

^^check out like half (or more) of Holdfast's fits.  Classic tailored menswear (not hipster 7" leg openings) and DMs.  They look great.

I don't disagree, and I will certainlly check out the fits ; but if your trousers are draped over the straps on double monks, it sort of defeats the purpose of the shoe, no?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always thought double monks looked best with very tailored pants (i.e. 1.5 - 2 inch cuff w/ 7 or < inch opening). I kind of considered them part and parcel...therefore, if the whole cropped pants thing were to die down, I would think that double monks would follow suit.

Holy **** batman 7" leg openings, are you wearing leggings?

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't disagree, and I will certainlly check out the fits ; but if your trousers are draped over the straps on double monks, it sort of defeats the purpose of the shoe, no?

The purpose of the shoes is to cover and protect your feet. The purpose of the monk strap is to secure the shoes to your feet.

They were not designed to be purposely worn with flood pants or leggings.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Holy **** batman 7" leg openings, are you wearing leggings?

I'm pretty sure they are jeggings

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Yet another "If you have to ask, you already know the answer" threads.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quintuple munks is where it's at.

leapyourbar

Reaction score

The purpose of the shoes is to cover and protect your feet. The purpose of the monk strap is to secure the shoes to your feet.

They were not designed to be purposely worn with flood pants or leggings.

LOL thanks for clearing the purpose of shoes for me. I guess you're right, if your pants are covering up the straps of your shoes - the hallmark of a double monk - then a double monk is totally distinguishable than say a cap-toe.

I'm not a proponent of 7 inch openings (the humanity!) or double monks in general - I said that I thought the shoe worked best with the aforementioned combination. All to say, if your pants are bunched up over the straps of the shoe, they aren't that distinguishable from another shoe. If flood pants fell by the wayside, double monks may follow suit.

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it not possible for something to have two purposes? No doubt, a lot of dudes wearing dubs with pants that show them off are doing that to show them off.

But a shoe is still noticeably a monkstrap if the hem of the trousers cover some of it. It's a more subtle way of saying the same thing.

So, unsubtly worn monkstraps will fall by the wayside, for sure, just as years of bad three button suits have made it tough to find a good middlebrow three-button suit. Subtly worn monks will keep on keeping on.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL thanks for clearing the purpose of shoes for me. I guess you're right, if your pants are covering up the straps of your shoes - the hallmark of a double monk - then a double monk is totally distinguishable than say a cap-toe.

I'm not a proponent of 7 inch openings (the humanity!) or double monks in general - I said that I thought the shoe worked best with the aforementioned combination. All to say, if your pants are bunched up over the straps of the shoe, they aren't that distinguishable from another shoe. If flood pants fell by the wayside, double monks may follow suit.

Tuck your pants hem into your Happy Socks. Problem solved. I credit Mr. Ronald McDonald for this sartorial inspiration.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads