• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pngwyn

Reaction score
I just got a pair of Doc Marten 1460s I'm wondering if it's cool to take them out into the rain? I won't be jumping in huge puddles or anything, but I live in a really rainy area and it's my first pair of nice leather boots. Do I need to treat the with something?

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pngwyn
I just got a pair of Doc Marten 1460s I'm wondering if it's cool to take them out into the rain? I won't be jumping in huge puddles or anything, but I live in a really rainy area and it's my first pair of nice leather boots. Do I need to treat the with something?

what the ****? why are you wearing doc martens?

blake

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
though not technically waterproof, they should do just fine in the rain. If you feel the need you can spray them with a waterproof protectant. They still will not be waterproof, but just fine.

*#..

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123

Why not? They're good boots for a decent price, especially if you get them on sale like I did. They're classic. I personally bought a pair for utility, like concerts (no more people stepping on my toes), my college lab classes (been through spills and currently welding), and rainy weather as well.

I don't live in an area like Seattle where it rains all the time, but when it came down pretty hard this winter, they held up really well. No waterproofing at all, and my socks didn't get wet either. I have the 1460s in Black Smooth Leather in case you're wondering, couldn't get myself to buy any of the logo ones.

Pngwyn

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies
smile.gif
I just so happen to live in Seattle.
Originally Posted by whatever123
Well, I was looking for a nice pair of boots, and was on a budget. I heard Doc Martens were durable and I liked the way they look, so why not?

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies
smile.gif
I just so happen to live in Seattle.

Well, I was looking for a nice pair of boots, and was on a budget. I heard Doc Martens were durable and I liked the way they look, so why not?

hey... i had mine for over 10 years, heavy wear but not so much recently, they look like this
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=227639
rain wont hurt them :) you'll be ok

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by *#..
Why not? They're good boots for a decent price, especially if you get them on sale like I did. They're classic. I personally bought a pair for utility, like concerts (no more people stepping on my toes), my college lab classes (been through spills and currently welding), and rainy weather as well.

cause they are hideous. truly hideous ... thats why.

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Made in the UK pair thats probably 20 years old and while i dont really wear them in the rain or through puddles, ive worn them through tons of snowstorms and shoveling and slush (and i live in New England so thats alot in winter), and my feet have never gotten wet

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sinnedk: that's a good looking pair of docs. I think you might have just sold me a pair of MIE ones.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore them pretty much constantly when I was a student (erm... 20 yrs ago
blush.gif
) in Wales, which is pretty wet
smile.gif
and they held up well. The leather never used to be great quality and would eventually crack, but for the price they're decent boots.

TheDroog

Reaction score
They're very durable boots but not 100% waterproof. I've been in extremely heavy rain with mine, and water will sometimes seep in through the seams attaching the leather to the sole. For most situations, like Seattle drizzle, you'll be fine. I use Nikwax to waterproof the leather itself, and it does help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads