• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are cufflinks normally visible under a jacket?

kdsvs

Reaction score
Assuming proper sleeve lengths, are cufflinks supposed to be visible when worn with a jacket?

There seems to be a lot of discussion about cufflink designs, but it seems to me they're always hidden under the jacket sleeve. Do your cufflinks extend past the jacket sleeve when you're seated or lift your arm?

nelly

Reaction score

Watch the first minute and you will see Ozwald Boateng's great cuff exposure everywhere. I can't figure out he's doing it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
When you're standing with your arms draped at your side, cufflinks should not show (if you follow the traditional precepts of fit). When sitting or extending your arms, they probably will show.

Aristocrat

Reaction score
You should always see the cufflinks, even when you just stands right up.

Claudio

Reaction score
OB suits are mostly slim cut. A slim cut suit should always have a rather short sleeve, allowing at least 1" of the cuff to be seen at all times and surely will expose the cufflink when arm is slightly raised. I only wear slim cut suits (I am very thin myself) and my sleeve ends just under my wrist bone (while arm is straight down). I always have a long enough shirt sleeve underneath and thus cufflink always shows. In the 60's when the 'tight fit' suit was most popular the jackets were usually shorter cut, slim fit and sleeves were on the short side. Nowdays, most sleeves, be it suits, shirts, knitwear, t-shirts - sleevs tend to be made and worn quite long, and in this case a cufflink is quite useless in my opinion.
However, much depends on your built: if you are round, heavy, plump, obviously a tight suit and/or high sleeves may look nasty.
OB is a good looking fellow and pulls it off well.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
No offence Aristocrat and Claudio, but you both are wrong. Cufflinks will only be seen if you bend your elbows or extend your arm. The cut of a suit makes no impact on how long your sleeves should be. (Unless you're Duncan Quinn.
crazy.gif
)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose if one were inclined to follow the traditional precepts of fit, then Manton would be correct. But I don't think there is anything "wrong" (sorry Jovan) if your cufflinks show when your arms are rested at your side if that is the look you like.

Unfortunately, I do not have any MTM shirts (apparently, Jantzen ignored my first order), and therefore, the exact sleeve length varies, depending the brand shirt I wear. A few millimeters difference in sleeve length will determine whether only none, a part, or the whole cufflink shows under my jacket (not to mention whether I'm wearing bigger links or silk knots). Therefore, I find it difficult to follow, that in terms of aboslutes, my cufflinks are not "suppose" to show while my arms are at my side. And I am not inclined to limit my suit and shirt pairings to only those situations where none of the cufflink shows so I can be "correct" in the eyes of some who think there are "rules" on the matter.

Besides, why have such pretty cufflinks if you can't show them off in any position you are...

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I suppose if one were inclined to follow the traditional precepts of fit, then Manton would be correct.

Trust me, Manton's correct on this one (as if Manton needs my approbation). If, arms at your side, enough cuff is visible to reveal your cufflinks, you are showing too much cuff.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Trust me, Manton's correct on this one (as if Manton needs my approbation). If, arms at your side, enough cuff is visible to reveal your cufflinks, you are showing too much cuff.

I'm trying to think about the relative shirt-suit sleeve lengths! If you are standing up both should be (almost) fully extended. In this situation I think I barely show 1/2 inch of cuff. If this is the case, my suit sleeve definitely covers the cufflinks. I fail to see how cufflinks showing when standing straight fails to imply that either the suit sleeve is too short or the shirt sleeve is too long (in which case it should be over part of your palm?!).
confused.gif
I know quite a few members on this forum have more experience on than me in sartorial matters - Any thoughts?

Also with arms bent at 90 degrees I would need 2-3 inches of cuff showing to expose the entire cufflink. At most I show 1-2 to 3/4 of the cufflink with arms bent.

BTW, my shirt sleeves end at my wrist and my suit sleeves just above (when standing straight).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I'm trying to think about the relative shirt-suit sleeve lengths! If you are standing up both should be (almost) fully extended. In this situation I think I barely show 1/2 inch of cuff. If this is the case, my suit sleeve definitely covers the cufflinks. I fail to see how cufflinks showing when standing straight fails to imply that either the suit sleeve is too short or the shirt sleeve is too long (in which case it should be over part of your palm?!).
confused.gif
I know quite a few members on this forum have more experience on than me in sartorial matters - Any thoughts?

Also with arms bent at 90 degrees I would need 2-3 inches of cuff showing to expose the entire cufflink. At most I show 1-2 to 3/4 of the cufflink with arms bent.

BTW, my shirt sleeves end at my wrist and my suit sleeves just above (when standing straight).

Well, unless your suit and shirt fit incredibly well or absurdly loosely (the jacket sleeve anyway), if your links are fully showing when your hands are at your sides, then when you extend your arms up or outwards, the cuffs will pull fully out of the jacket sleeves, and probably get caught there. French cuffs love to do that, so a good fit is imperative. It can get really annoying.

For those guys pictured whose links are really showing, that's what I mean by fitting incredibly well.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one suit in particular which i tailored to show lots more cuff.

I can see a bit of cuff link when my hands are straight, and the whole cufflink when i bend my arms.

I love this suit to death as it is one of my more fit, slim cut suit jackets. I say, depending on the cut of the suit jacket, you might be able to alter the length of your sleeves. When the suit jacket is more conservative looking and also long, it might look off to have too short sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics