• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are cufflinks in fashion now?

Remark

Reaction score
Does someone use cufflinks? Cause I haven't seen for a long time that someone used them. If you use, then what types do you prefer?

HotToddy

Reaction score
I now only ever use them when wearing a dress shirt for black tie and even then I use just plain gold ones. I think cufflinks look flamboyant and not particularly cool when worn with a lounge suit.

A single button cuff does the job for me and it is much easier to fasten than cufflinks or multiple button cuffs.

Remark

Reaction score
I now only ever use them when wearing a dress shirt for black tie and even then I use just plain gold ones. I think cufflinks look flamboyant and not particularly cool when worn with a lounge suit.

A single button cuff does the job for me and it is much easier to fasten than cufflinks or multiple button cuffs.
Totally agree with you.
But you use them only for a black tie? Cause it's more classical

HotToddy

Reaction score
Totally agree with you.
But you use them only for a black tie? Cause it's more classical

Yes black tie is more formal so I don’t mind making the extra effort. My two dress shirts both have double cuffs so I don’t have much option anyway.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use them for anything beyond business casual.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does someone use cufflinks? Cause I haven't seen for a long time that someone used them. If you use, then what types do you prefer?
When did cufflinks go out of fashion? Why would I even care if cufflinks are fashionable? How else would one fasten one's cuffs?

I wear cufflinks almost every day. Almost all my shirts that are not made from oxford cloth have double (or French) cuffs. My preferred links are by Longmire, but I have some from Hermès and New & Lingwood. I prefer double-sided links over the t-bar kind.

BXpress

Reaction score
And what cufflinks do you like? Gold, silver?

In my opinion solid metal cufflinks are not nearly as exciting as enameled ones but they are very useful. Basically you don't need worry about matching/combining them to anything other than your shirt colour. Keep in mind, other people won't see your cufflinks most of the time.

Let me give you some personal recommendations when it comes to cufflinks. You may find them useful or not.
1. Solid metal
(Going just by colour not value)
Silver: Useful for almost every non-white shirt, especially blue ones. Would not use it for green tones.
Gold: Useful for almost any shirt colour except yellow tones.

2. Before you buy modern cheap plastic-ish looking cufflinks, better go cheap vintage. Most sellers don't know their worth unless they are made of a precious metal (certified by stamp). But it doesn't have to be an expensive metal in order to look good. Many old tasteful enameled Art Deco designs come with brass, copper, rolled gold (old method), or just gold coated/plain stainless steel cufflinks. Treasure hunt for a few bucks here:

Etsy.com

3. Avoid cheap stones like Malachite, Citrin etc. They look like plastic.

4. Avoid Bling even if theyre real. You don't want to look like a pimp.

5. Themed cufflinks: If they fit the occasion, why not. For example tasteful hunting cufflinks. Otherwise stay away from goofy designs. Even if theyre funny, they never look good.

Enamel and Guilloche enamel my personal MVP:

Codis1.jpg

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like cuff links on occasion. My favorites are silk knotted links. I will pick up some metal ones eventually.

Alfargo

Reaction score
Cuff links are a great add on, I prefer vintage then to modern. Newer ones are great but can be very expensive and cheap looking like stated above. I will post pics of my collection later :slayer:

Remark

Reaction score
In my opinion solid metal cufflinks are not nearly as exciting as enameled ones but they are very useful. Basically you don't need worry about matching/combining them to anything other than your shirt colour. Keep in mind, other people won't see your cufflinks most of the time.

Let me give you some personal recommendations when it comes to cufflinks. You may find them useful or not.
1. Solid metal
Silver: Useful for almost every non-white shirt, especially blue ones. Would not use it for green tones.

2. Before you buy modern cheap plastic-ish looking cufflinks, better go cheap vintage. Most sellers don't know their worth unless they are made of a precious metal (certified by stamp). But it doesn't have to be an expensive metal in order to look good. Many old tasteful enameled Art Deco designs come with brass, copper, rolled gold (old method), or just gold coated/plain stainless steel cufflinks. Treasure hunt for a few bucks here:

Etsy.com

5. Themed cufflinks: If they fit the occasion, why not. For example tasteful hunting cufflinks. Otherwise stay away from goofy designs. Even if theyre funny, they never look good.

View attachment 1169262
Thanks, very useful pieces of advice.

Remark

Reaction score

1. Solid metal

Etsy.com

View attachment 1169262

I've heard about Etsy, my girlfriend there bought Kochut Cufflinks on my birthday.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also wear cufflinks - maybe a couple times a month. I would say there aren't a lot of people I see wear them at my company, but there are a few. But I would also say, I wouldn't recommend dressing like the majority of people in America anyway :) If you like them, wear them. I disagree that they are only black tie.

But, I freely admit I definitely push the typical American envelope - I wear fedoras with my coats and I also have a full length trench and full length overcoat.

But, I also get compliments on these items - including the cuff links because I wear them with comfort and confidence. The best compliment I get about the hats for instance is when someone tells me "you really wear it well". It's not about showing off, just being natural. Even in the oddest places, you'll find people can appreciate style - when at a bar last fall with a friend, a biker stopped over to compliment the hat.

Long winded way of saying wear what you like, wear it with confidence and ease and it will be in style for you.

BXpress

Reaction score
I've heard about Etsy, my girlfriend there bought Kochut Cufflinks on my birthday.

These are quite expensive. How much did she pay on etsy if it's not too rude to ask?

They wouldn't be my style exactly but congrats...

I prefer double-sided links over the t-bar kind.

Also worth noting is that double sided cufflinks mostly come with chains. Now, chain linked cufflinks can sometimes be a nightmare to put on but they have a huge advantage over fixed links:

One Problem that many makers seem to have is that they make them way too long. I don't know if they have ever seen a french cuff in real life, but nobody needs a length of 2cm. If they are chain linked you can adjust them to the perfect length. So far, i had to shorten all of my chains.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads