• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are college athletics good or bad?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the "If anyone cares" department... The US Dept of Ed compiles all the costs and revenue reports from college and university athletic departments. The files here are sort of hard to get a handle on, but you'll find more data than you ever cared about.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Did not read thread, just wanted to point out that collegiate women's volleyball is God's gift to man.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a book about this called Beer and Circuses.

riverrun

Reaction score

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Did not read thread, just wanted to point out that collegiate women's volleyball is God's gift to man.

ESPNU plays college volleyball every Wednesday night at 8ET/7 Central time. I always make it home in time to watch this no matter what I'm doing.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
ESPNU plays college volleyball every Wednesday night at 8ET/7 Central time. I always make it home in time to watch this no matter what I'm doing.

Yo you coming to the meetup?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just heard from VCU's president that at meetings of donors they are now standing up and pledging hundreds of thousands of dollars to the school because of their final four appearance. Said it isn't normal for that to happen.

rjnut now proved completely wrong.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
I just heard from VCU's president that at meetings of donors they are now standing up and pledging hundreds of thousands of dollars to the school because of their final four appearance. Said it isn't normal for that to happen.

rjnut now proved completely wrong.

maybe our cockbag governor will unfreeze our millions of dollars of state funding

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
maybe our cockbag governor will unfreeze our millions of dollars of state funding

MORE PROOF

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
he won't

also not a fan of college sports

GSquared

Reaction score
I love college sports because I think it breeds a sense of community and helps the alumni base stay connected. That said, I think the only sports that should be maintained are the ones that actually bring in money to the university. I know this limits a lot of the female sports, but if tuition is increasing yearly, you should cut those sports that run a deficit and keep that money for the university.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira

Really?

ik0R0u.jpg

confused.gif

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so there was an interview with cheryl levick, GSU's AD (I know I'm a homer...but it is relevant) on Saturday.

Mentioned the money aspect, GSU had $1m in gameday opps last year, brought in 998,000. so yeah, that's not a tremendous sum but making money.

she also brought up how in our first year of football, because of football, there was a $1.5 million gift from either the petit or loudermilk fund. this year, there was a $1m gift from whichever didn't give the $1.5m gift to the athletic department. while that's certainly small potatoes to a DI school, consider that 2009 was a banner year in the AD's fundraising. It raised a total of $50k.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This thread always makes me laugh when it gets bumped.

Btw, to Peanut's thought that now the schools have the donations due to athletics and now we can just stop the programs and keep the money...yeah, there's these accounting things called "restricted gifts" and "donor intent" that auditors and the IRS actually take quite seriously.

Also, the very suggestion that now the money has been donated so let's just cease the programs and keep the money? Shows he's also got that ethical base we like to see in our future attorneys.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads