1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are college athletics good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rjakapeanut, Sep 19, 2010.

1. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Hi. I have claims to make with absolutely no evidence to back them up except some anecdotes that I actually anected and some more that I most likely will make up on the spot to try to give me credibility.

May I poast in this thread?

My research indicates that you may not. Back to DT with you!

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Although, anecdotally at least, you have posted. So anecdotal research suggests my prior research is wrong.
    Anecdotally.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Although, anecdotally at least, you have posted. So anecdotal research suggests my prior research is wrong.
    Anecdotally.

You must have done some high quality anecting to get those anecdotes.

4. MrG

MrG Senior member

Only if you "know" university presidents.

I once watched an entire football game with the president of The University of Georgia.

The University of Georgia is one of my examples of programs that turn a profit.

Oh noes!!!! I haz been deseeved!! No, I hazn't. This is because I drew my data from a reliable source. Dr. Adams and I didn't once talk about whether the Athletic Association turned a profit, and my understanding of UGA's athletics funding is coincidental to, not a product of, this anecdote.

5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

You must have done some high quality anecting to get those anecdotes.
    Bro, you have no idea. I have even anected wests mom.

6. BP348

BP348 Senior member

Does the OP have any actual proof that his University is dumping money in to athletics while cutting academics and teachers? I went to a small University in the Texas A&M system and I know that the larger Main University more then made up for the smaller schools in the system.

Universities as a whole are businesses so putting money into athletics may or may not have an adverse effect on the "academics". Even at my small University the professors were expected to write grants and conduct research. If not enough grant money is coming in i would expect that would effect the cut teachers/programs more then the money put into the athletics. But that's just an opinion.

7. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Does the OP have any actual proof that his University is dumping money in to athletics while cutting academics and teachers?

No.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No.

Brah, he's a frosh that hangs out with the LSU system's president and the president tells him how the numbers are done with a *wink* and a *nod*.

9. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Hi. I have claims to make with absolutely no evidence to back them up except some anecdotes that I actually anected and some more that I most likely will make up on the spot to try to give me credibility.

May I poast in this thread?

Only if the posts a both dismissive of all other PoV as well as absolutely conclusive.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Only if the posts a both dismissive of all other PoV as well as absolutely conclusive.

Uhhh sorry dude, but you have no credibility in this matter and I'm not going to sit here and listen to you try to feed me this line of bullshit.

11. edinatlanta

man fuck all yall in my life i seen that my shits not going well. Clearly that means everybody else need to change. Ya heard?

12. edinatlanta

Also I am 20, I have my life figured out in a career that makes a lot of money and that I think people think highly of. Please tell me I am doing the right thing. BTW: I will not hear anyone tell me I'm making a dumb choice, even if you have done this for 40 years. Oh and I'm modest.

13. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Uhhh sorry dude, but you have no credibility in this matter and I'm not going to sit here and listen to you try to feed me this line of bullshit.

Success.

14. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Senior member

My school offered no athletic scholarships. None. I went to school to learn, not to play games or to cheer on mental defectives in shoulder pads.

15. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

man fuck all yall in my life i seen that my shits not going well. Clearly that means everybody else need to change. Ya heard?

Brah, he's a frosh that hangs out with the LSU system's president and the president tells him how the numbers are done with a *wink* and a *nod*.

Also I am 20, I have my life figured out in a career that makes a lot of money and that I think people think highly of. Please tell me I am doing the right thing. BTW: I will not hear anyone tell me I'm making a dumb choice, even if you have done this for 40 years. Oh and I'm modest.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

No.
    yeah. they're working on moving our shitty programs from club back into NCAA completely. they've let tons of teachers go and they're cutting some programs (well more, they already cut some earlier this year. they're modifying tons of business and liberal arts programs.) i don't hang with university presidents, never said i did. but he just took over our campus and has been talking to students frequently so yeah he's been in contact with the student body alot. btw if you want that article google uh....john lombardi, uh....the enemy is us, i think. that's the old one i found. he's done a few on the subject. that's actually our uni president. there are tons of other articles like that. someone posted a few on the first or second page. either way this topic has veered....so yeah.
    none of that applies to me. you won't find a single post that substantiates any of your claims. i'm 20, i don't have my life figured out at all, i'm going into a career that hasn't been a cash cow since the 80s, and most people don't think highly of it right now. i don't want anyone to tell me i'm doing the right thing, and i've never asked for that. i've heard many people tell me a dumb choice, and many more that encouraged me to follow goals. they also have decades of experience, and unlike the people on this forum who DON'T practice in my region and i have no face-to-face relationship with, i can trust them. JUST AN INTERNET FORUM

17. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

My school offered no athletic scholarships. None. I went to school to learn, not to play games or to cheer on mental defectives in shoulder pads.

Not having athletic scholarships doesn't mean that the school doesn't spend money on athletics. [​IMG]

18. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

none of that applies to me. you won't find a single post that substantiates any of your claims. i'm 20, i don't have my life figured out at all, i'm going into a career that hasn't been a cash cow since the 80s, and most people don't think highly of it right now. i don't want anyone to tell me i'm doing the right thing, and i've never asked for that. i've heard many people tell me a dumb choice, and many more that encouraged me to follow goals. they also have decades of experience, and unlike the people on this forum who DON'T practice in my region and i have no face-to-face relationship with, i can trust them.

JUST AN INTERNET FORUM

[​IMG] do you ever read your own poasts?

19. rjakapeanut

rjakapeanut Senior member

[​IMG] do you ever read your own poasts?

the better question is, do you guys?

you people infer alot of wild shit from my posts.

for example, i take everything with a grain of salt. positive advice, OR negative advice. i weigh it all. but, because i don't immediately agree with every one of your suggestions you think that i'm some stuck up punk who doesn't want to hear what you're saying?

come on guys. relax. it's an internet forum -- i take everything with a grain of salt. and i give the benefit of the doubt.

for you guys this is sport. you like to come here, sound witty, and toot your own horn. i couldn't give a shit about that stuff, man. i come here, post for 30 seconds, read what you say, and jet.

20. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Do yourself a favor and re-read the threads that you have started. You should notice some patterns.