• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Charvet dress shirts worth the price? The best?

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
If you hit the summer sales with Hamilton, you should be able to get pretty close to $250/shirt.

I've got about 8 shirts at this point on the full bespoke program, and given the quality to price ratio (and the convenience of having them local), I don't envision ever sourcing shirts from anywhere else. The real cost for me has been the premium laundering and hand-finishing, since I want them to stay as fresh and perfect as the day they I took them home. As has been discussed before, run of the mill cleaners around here who use machines to press really struggle with the lined but unfused collars (in fact they ruined the test shirt on the first go).

This begs the question of when is the summer sale? Also which fabrics have you opted for? Have you tried any of their Thomas Mason Bespoke fabrics? I've (finally) got an appointment Monday and while I've played and looked at some of the fabrics, I'm curious about the opinion of someone who has some. I'm definitely going with the thick buttons and a test shirt though.

Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
Charvet makes a beautiful shirt. I would suggest trying to get shirts made from older fabric inventory. Older fabric in lower yarn counts IMO is much better then the newer ultra high count fabrics.

teacha.gif
Why do you recommend the lower yarn counts? Or is that just about the quality of the older fabrics versus newer?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the older fabrics in lower counts, may not be as soft as newer fabrics.
i prefer the 100/2 and 120/2 they will last much longer. and the older fabrics were made on older slower looms.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
This begs the question of when is the summer sale? Also which fabrics have you opted for? Have you tried any of their Thomas Mason Bespoke fabrics? I've (finally) got an appointment Monday and while I've played and looked at some of the fabrics, I'm curious about the opinion of someone who has some. I'm definitely going with the thick buttons and a test shirt though.

I get a postcard in the summers that offers a ~10% discount on certain fabrics. I don't know if that's something open to existing customers only or a general store discount.

I don't know who makes the fabrics I've chosen, although someone remarked that the striped one was Thomas Mason. I selected them all from the bolts of cloth, based on pattern, color and feel to the touch. Here are some pics of some of my shirts (some collars have all been changed to wider spreads):

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2118

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...postcount=2156

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5087/...fa78bc98_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5007/...9de49887_b.jpg

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Alex Kabbaz makes the BEST shirts.

Charvet is not even close in terms of construction, fabric choices, and especially fit.

Bespoke for Bespoke? Don't compare OTR to Bespoke. All of Alex's shirts are machine sewn as are Charvet's. Alex FUSES his collars, Charvet does not.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Still my favorite frequent SF typo.
devil.gif

sonofa.....hahahahaha

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
does Charvet Pre-wash bespoke shirts? or do they allow for shrinkage?
at those prices, I would assume that fabric and linings are all preshrunk.

iirc they prewash bespoke and mtm

G

Griffindork

does Charvet Pre-wash bespoke shirts? or do they allow for shrinkage?
at those prices, I would assume that fabric and linings are all preshrunk.

I don't believe so. They make a single shirt first. You are instructed to wear/wash at least five times before returning for another fitting for adjustments. When you purchase subsequent shirts, they assume shrinkage depending upon the fabric.
A

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mrbrioni

Reaction score
Thanks guys for this plethera of information!

Is there anywhere in Chicago that I can make Hamilton shirts? Barney's?

Flying to Paris simply to go to Charvet is a bit excessive, however next time I am there I think I will stop in for MTM or bespoke.

blloyd

Reaction score
In my opinion Charvet Dress Shirts are clearly the best shirts made. I have worn them all. Custom made from the most exclusive Dept Stores in NYC , Borelli , etc. With Charvet, I have never had a button break, or a seam come undone. I have worn them out to the point that the shirt tears with cleaning but I sent it back to them and they happily replaced the torn panel !! Now that is service. As for the price, well all is relative and I would be embarrassed to tell anyone how much they actually cost, especially my wife. If you can afford the luxury or if you just want the best shirt made, then don't hesitate.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In my opinion Charvet Dress Shirts are clearly the best shirts made.   I have worn them all.   Custom made from the most exclusive Dept Stores in NYC , Borelli , etc.  With Charvet, I have never had a button break, or a seam come undone.   I have worn them  out to the point that the shirt tears with cleaning but I sent it back to them and they happily replaced the torn panel !!  Now that is service.   As for the price, well all is relative and I would be embarrassed to tell anyone how much they actually cost, especially my wife.  If you can afford the luxury or if you just want the best shirt made, then don't hesitate. 

+1 Charvet is known for "panel replacement" on old, worn, shirting :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads