• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Burberry Scarves Tacky?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Consensus on SF? I'm pretty sure it's hated but maybe some alternatives then if this turns ugly?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The classic yellow nova check probably is, but other patterns that happened to be produced by Burberry are likely just fine. In some preppy college campus' these scarves are starting to go the way of North Face jackets, ang Uggs among women.

I will admit inherently I don't think the nova check pattern itself is fine, but seems like it's been bastardized over the years.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Barbour for cashmere scarves. Also: Land's End has some great patterns if you're willing to slum it.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a classic one that's 100% cashmere. I wear it whenever I feel like it, and it doesn't matter. My clothing is subdued, lots of sportcoats and mtm stuff, and I really don't feel like a douchebag if I wear it, nor do I project that image. That said, a lot of douchebags do have burberry scarves, but its just one piece of the total image. I wouldn't go out and spend 300$ or whatever I paid back then again, but if you have one, it's not as bad as other things.

izlat

Reaction score
Agree with Souper

I like the nova check myself and have a rain jacket with such lining on the hood and part of the back. I got it many yeas ago, and if I were buying it now - I'd get something else.

Last time I gave a Burbery scarf as a gift (about 4-5 years ago), I chose the gray check because the nova was already getting over-exposed

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear one if I got one as a gift. At this point it's like the flag of the nouveau-riche (or wannabe).

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I think the pattern is ugly, it works as a liner though.

wiru

Reaction score
personally, i would not wear the burberry check anywhere, in any colorway. especially a scarf. very 'japanese schoolgirl.' if you want a plaid scarf, there are many options. j press, ebay &c

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
I havea grey one an ex gave me that I sometimes wear. But generally, I think the only place that pattern should be seen is inside of a raincoat. Preferably one that's at least as old as you are.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
patchdotmur8.jpg
I figure I buy this one off J.Press. Anyone my age will probably see where I got the inspiration. I just don't think I could drop $200+ on a scarf at the moment.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I have a navy check one that I received as a gift some time ago and I still wear it. It can be tacky but meh, I don't have a problem with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads