• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Brooks Brothers suits (cuts) made for athletic builds?

nolow

Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time finding a suit that fits me properly. I went into a BB Factory Store (outlet) and tried on one of their 346 label suits and it fit like a glove. It matched my shoulders perfectly. I really like the cut on this suit, but I'm not sure about the quality. With the current sales going on, it would only cost $272 for the jacket and trousers. Should I stay away from the 346 line? I noticed they also have the 1818 and Golden Fleece lines at their retail stores. I didn't see any in the factory store. I might go with a 1818 suit if a decent sale hits. Does the 1818 line ever go sub $600 or $500 during sales? Are these suits cut in the same way as the 346? They almost seem to be cut for people that work out. I gues I would stay away from the Fitzgerald line because of the higher armholes. I was wondering if I could get some of your opinions on the Madison and Regent lines.

brichards

Reaction score
Just read article about Brooks Brothers and they are sticking to two annual sales (Christmas and Post-Father's Day)... I have tried on the Regent and look to make a purchase pretty soon. I have no idea how much they would cost on sale.

nolow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brichards
Just read article about Brooks Brothers and they are sticking to two annual sales (Christmas and Post-Father's Day)... I have tried on the Regent and look to make a purchase pretty soon. I have no idea how much they would cost on sale.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be on the lookout for the Post-Father's Day sale.

nolow

Reaction score
Should I just stay away from BB suits all together? I did a search on these forums and noticed people say it is a full cut. Is that the same as an executive cut (made for overweight people)? I just want to know if it is worth the 1 hour drive to a retail store.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nolow
Should I just stay away from BB suits all together? I did a search on these forums and noticed people say it is a full cut. Is that the same as an executive cut (made for overweight people)? I just want to know if it is worth the 1 hour drive to a retail store.

I would stay away from the 346 line. It is lower priced for a reason.

As for athletic fit - what kind of drop do you have? I think you can wear BB if you have up to a 8 or 9 inch drop, but any more than that and we're talking serious recutting of the suit. I have a 6 to 7 inch drop, so most OTR stuff works for me and I just deal with getting something that fits in the shoulders.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to sounds like an economist, but it all depends on the suit. Even the BB style labels aren't consistent - I have a 38 Regent sportscoat that's very slim, and I tried a 38 Regent suit and the coat was huge on me.

nolow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I would stay away from the 346 line. It is lower priced for a reason.

As for athletic fit - what kind of drop do you have? I think you can wear BB if you have up to a 8 or 9 inch drop, but any more than that and we're talking serious recutting of the suit. I have a 6 to 7 inch drop, so most OTR stuff works for me and I just deal with getting something that fits in the shoulders.

I have an 8 inch drop (44 chest 36 waist). I like the fit of the 346 BB suit I tried on. I'm hoping the 1818 has the same cut. The only problem is that the 1818 will be 2 to 4 times more expensive depending on the sale. Do you think the 1818 line is worth the extra money?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an 8 inch drop (44 chest 36 waist). I like the fit of the 346 BB suit I tried on. I'm hoping the 1818 has the same cut. The only problem is that the 1818 will be 2 to 4 times more expensive depending on the sale. Do you think the 1818 line is worth the extra money?

I bought a couple of 346 lines,suits seemed to look good when I put them on,but then I returned them.No,they are not worth the money,even after discount.I have suits that I bought for around $200,even those are much better (in terms of fit).
As far as Regent and Fitzgerald go,those are very nice.Are they worth the money?i don't think so,$998 for those suits is way too steep.Even after BB major sales,you will end up paying $700.
Having said that,I am looking to purchase 2 or 3 Regent or Fitzgerald suits,I've tried a few last week,I like hand stitching and they carry some nice hand stitched suits,but I will end up getting them at about $300-350 a pop,so I figure they are worth it for me.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I bought a couple of 346 lines,suits seemed to look good when I put them on,but then I returned them.No,they are not worth the money,even after discount.I have suits that I bought for around $200,even those are much better (in terms of fit).
As far as Regent and Fitzgerald go,those are very nice.Are they worth the money?i don't think so,$998 for those suits is way too steep.Even after BB major sales,you will end up paying $700.
Having said that,I am looking to purchase 2 or 3 Regent or Fitzgerald suits,I've tried a few last week,I like hand stitching and they carry some nice hand stitched suits,but I will end up getting them at about $300-350 a pop,so I figure they are worth it for me.

How do you manage to get them at $300-$350 a pop?

I remember couple weeks back they have a 25% friends & family sale; with 15% from new card discount and 5% from a corporate discount that I have access to, that's still only 45% compare to your ~60% discount.

Also, BB will have another sale after Father's Day (6/15)?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
How do you manage to get them at $300-$350 a pop?

I remember couple weeks back they have a 25% friends & family sale; with 15% from new card discount and 5% from a corporate discount that I have access to, that's still only 45% compare to your ~60% discount.

Also, BB will have another sale after Father's Day (6/15)?

Yes,they will have another sale after Father's day,I believe they will be discounting 25%.I have a friend who works there and employees get a 50% discount,on top of that,I get gift cards almost at 50% face value,that brings down the price drastically,sometimes to even 70%.

MellonC

Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time finding a suit that fits me properly. I went into a BB Factory Store (outlet) and tried on one of their 346 label suits and it fit like a glove. It matched my shoulders perfectly. I really like the cut on this suit, but I'm not sure about the quality. With the current sales going on, it would only cost $272 for the jacket and trousers. Should I stay away from the 346 line? I noticed they also have the 1818 and Golden Fleece lines at their retail stores. I didn't see any in the factory store. I might go with a 1818 suit if a decent sale hits. Does the 1818 line ever go sub $600 or $500 during sales? Are these suits cut in the same way as the 346? They almost seem to be cut for people that work out. I gues I would stay away from the Fitzgerald line because of the higher armholes. I was wondering if I could get some of your opinions on the Madison and Regent lines.

they have different fits. Regular is called Madison. Slim is Regent. Very slim is Fitzgerald. And Super Wacky Tom Browne version that doesn't even cover your buttocks slim is called the Black Fleece.

Hope this helps.

billiebob

Reaction score
Any opinions on the Brookease line.

Last time I tried them not NEARLY as nice as the 1818, which isn't nearly as nice as the Golden Fleece.

MellonC

Reaction score
Any opinions on the Brookease line.

Go with the 1818 line. The Brooks ease is really for heavy traveling and "rough and tumble" use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads