1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are British men scuffy? (short clip from BBC Radio 4)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lear, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Lear

Lear Senior member

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

The average Londoner is not to SF's standards...

A lot of tracksuit,football shirts,designer gears with big logos and so on...

The average working man in London is like everywhere else in the world wearing ill-fitted sizes and cheap ties....

It is the same all around the world except maybe Milan or Venice..

3. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

The average Londoner is not to SF's standards...

A lot of tracksuit,football shirts,designer gears with big logos and so on...

The average working man in London is like everywhere else in the world wearing ill-fitted sizes and cheap ties....

It is the same all around the world except maybe Milan or Venice..

Last time I was in Venice, I only saw merchants, gondoliers, and tourists. Perhaps it's different in the winter, but it wasn't the height of fashion. Mind you, there were a ton of nice shops.

4. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I'd say it has a higher proportion of well dressed gents, personally.

5. Southlondongent

Southlondongent Senior member

In general I would say yes.

Even those chaps who work in the City and 'have' to dress smart generally do so more out of tradition and necessity rather than having any particular interest in sartorial matters IMO. Before I get shot down obviously there are exceptions.[​IMG]

6. Southlondongent

I'd say it has a higher proportion of well dressed gents, personally.

Venice or London?

7. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Even those chaps who work in the City and 'have' to dress smart generally do so more out of tradition and necessity rather than having any particular interest in sartorial matters IMO. Before I get shot down obviously there are exceptions.[​IMG]

Some of the worst dressers I see are in fact those in the City - ties with top shirt button undone, badly fitting suits, odd buttoning on suit jackets etc.

I recently had to photograph a senior exec at a bank and asked him to adjust his tie. He said he had practically never worn one before. I was surprised to say the least.

8. Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

The average Joe of Britain I would say is scruffy - just like most other nations.

9. BlackShoes

BlackShoes Senior member

The average man is very scruffy here, tracksuit, t-shirt, trainers. Having said that, wandering around London I often see very well dressed men indeed, they would fit right in here, even if a bit conservative. Winter is very fertile season for it, many coverts and chesterfields this year.

10. BareSolid

BareSolid Senior member

Topman rubbish.

They talk about the 'freedom' to wear what you want, but someone who is properly dressed will be frowned upon in certain quarters. I have decided that I don't give a damn about what other people wear and I wear what I like. I accept any compliments gratefully and dish them out when I mean them... and that's it. People at University (Bristol) accept it and some have started to smarten themselves up - I admit I can only really afford Uniqlo but I do buy stuff that most people think looks good, even if the snobs on here wouldn't, crisp shirts with minimum detail and their sports jackets are also nice - which can only be a good thing.

11. p_b

p_b Member

The real fact is that most of people are scruffy.

12. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The real fact is that most of people are scruffy.
    With the amount of good Menswear Stores,in London.I think yes we are scruffy.But,I also think the Standards have changed-hence Peter Yorke talking about the Tie.

13. Southlondongent

Topman rubbish.

They talk about the 'freedom' to wear what you want, but someone who is properly dressed will be frowned upon in certain quarters. I have decided that I don't give a damn about what other people wear and I wear what I like. I accept any compliments gratefully and dish them out when I mean them... and that's it. People at University (Bristol) accept it and some have started to smarten themselves up - I admit I can only really afford Uniqlo but I do buy stuff that most people think looks good, even if the snobs on here wouldn't, crisp shirts with minimum detail and their sports jackets are also nice - which can only be a good thing.

Too right. Smartness has nothing to do with money. When I was in my teens and early twenties and didn't have much dosh I would buy smart vintage & deadstock (unfortunately there were no real equivalents to the likes of Uniqlo back then but good vintage was plentiful). I also found a cheap but good tailor and would have suits, trousers etc made for less than the price of designer jeans or trainers.

14. ysc

ysc Senior member

Fast fashion's obsession with sticking as many 'trends' and unnecessary details on one item as possible results in some pretty hideous garments, and the emphasis on constantly getting new clothes means considerations like fit go out of the window. Given the majority of younger people, and a fair number of people in their 40s and up get their clothes from 'fast fashion' shops UK casual dress is often not great. Add to that the pretty shabby interpretation of business casual most people wear to office jobs, yeah British men are fairly scruffy. Probably not a lot worse than most places though.

I don't think people should worry about how they dress if they don't care. I am a little sad that 'classic', or 'traditional' or whatever you want to call them, dress standards have been so eroded in most of the UK that if people do want to dress up the resources and knowledge they can easily access are not very good.

15. George

George Senior member

In general they dress as shitty as everywhere else.

However, you do find the occasional gem, and when they are good, they are very, very good, better than anywhere else.

16. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

There are a few things that give British men a slight edge over most other countries. Britain is relatively wealthy and people have disposable income to spend on clothing. There is a tradition of correct dress that everyone is exposed to (famous photos of eminent Victorians, constant costume dramas on tv etc). Also some of the best quality mens clothes are made, designed and available here.

British men are still scruffy on average, but maybe marginally less so than men elsewhere. Italy is the only clearly 'smarter' country, though I think the French have more style in general.

17. George

George Senior member

There are a few things that give British men a slight edge over most other countries. Britain is relatively wealthy and people have disposable income to spend on clothing. There is a tradition of correct dress that everyone is exposed to (famous photos of eminent Victorians, constant costume dramas on tv etc). Also some of the best quality mens clothes are made, designed and available here. British men are still scruffy on average, but maybe marginally less so than men elsewhere. Italy is the only clearly 'smarter' country, though I think the French have more style in general.
    I agree with you about the Italians, even though some of them do tend to lapse into affection too easily. I think French women dress well, French men, no.

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I agree with you about the Italians, even though some of them do tend to lapse into affection too easily.

I think French women dress well, French men, no.

George ,you haven't met me ...

There is a little elite who dresses as well as Savile Row customers but in general they like casual clothes...

We wear less football tops and more fashion forward casual gears...

Where I live , the South East of England which not a poor part of it, it is a sartorial wasteland...

The average English guy doesn't dress better than the French and the Italians...

People wear black shoes with everything, suits are ill-fitted and ties are cheap and nasty...

Sweeping statements anyway are always a bit off target...

19. George

George Senior member

George ,you haven't met me ... There is a little elite who dresses as well as Savile Row customers but in general they like casual clothes... We wear less football tops and more fashion forward casual gears... Where I live , the South East of England which not a poor part of it, it is a sartorial wasteland... The average English guy doesn't dress better than the French and the Italians... People wear black shoes with everything, suits are ill-fitted and ties are cheap and nasty... Sweeping statements anyway are always a bit off target...
    Yeah, but you've defected to Rostbif-land. In my trips around Paris and France, sadly all too infrequent these days, I've never been impressed with the way Frenchmen dress. Frenchwomen dress [very] well, much better than Englishwomen. especially when they are young. They have a certain chic-ness which I like. Englishwomen tend to become better dressers as they get older, which is the opposite of Italian women, who start of good and end up like Donna Versace. Sweeping general-isms of course and why not.

20. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Yeah, but you've defected to Rostbif-land.

In my trips around Paris and France, sadly all too infrequent these days, I've never been impressed with the way Frenchmen dress. Frenchwomen dress [very] well, much better than Englishwomen. especially when they are young. They have a certain chic-ness which I like.

Englishwomen tend to become better dressers as they get older, which is the opposite of Italian women, who start of good and end up like Donna Versace.

Sweeping general-isms of course and why not.

You 're right on the quantitative side of it...

Most Parisians are too casual for my liking...

There is a small elite in the well-off districts who are wearing bespoke shoes and suits like in Paris but you tend not to see them in the streets or the tube because they're all working.

Paris is not France like Mayfair is not England...

The average English ,French or Germans are equally wearing bad outfits...

Even the average Italians with their cheap designer logo t-shirts are not sartorially great..