• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are briefs making a comeback?

KieronH

Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of shops have an increasing amount of briefs on sale. Are they coming back into fashion? Are they becoming more popular than loose boxers or trunks?

What do you guys think? Has anyone here switched back to them from boxer shorts?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have they ever left?

CaptainMiguel

Reaction score
This is funny to me because I've been wearing briefs and boxer briefs for the last ten years or so and just recently put boxers back into my rotation. I had a similar but opposite thought, "are boxers making a come back?"

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
briefs haven't been in style for decades.

nasty.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Briefs are great for keeping things out of harm's way when competing horseback. So "never" is not my opinion. For conservative business dress, maybe never.

dohare

Reaction score
i only wear briefs, I really view boxers as something children and old men wear. boxers always seemed extremely sloppy and annoying to deal with when throwing pants on. its kind of funny to see people talk on whether they're "in style" as if you're walking around without pants on. it's preference. the only person that's going to appreciate what you're wearing underneath is a woman, and I can't imagine a girl getting turned on the sight of loose-fitting man-shorts. flame away

KieronH

Reaction score

i only wear briefs, I really view boxers as something children and old men wear.  boxers always seemed extremely sloppy and annoying to deal with when throwing pants on.  its kind of funny to see people talk on whether they're "in style" as if you're walking around without pants on. it's preference.   the only person that's going to appreciate what you're wearing underneath is a woman, and I can't imagine a girl getting turned on the sight of loose-fitting man-shorts.  flame away

What kind of briefs do you wear?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i only wear briefs, I really view boxers as something children and old men wear.  boxers always seemed extremely sloppy and annoying to deal with when throwing pants on.  its kind of funny to see people talk on whether they're "in style" as if you're walking around without pants on. it's preference.   the only person that's going to appreciate what you're wearing underneath is a woman, and I can't imagine a girl getting turned on the sight of loose-fitting man-shorts.  flame away

They've actually done research on this- women apparently prefer boxer briefs, though I forget the margin. However, my view is that if it gets to the point where you're seeing each other's underwear, the style and condition don't really matter all that much, since they're coming off soon too.

jt10000

Reaction score
However, my view is that if it gets to the point where you're seeing each other's underwear, the style and condition don't really matter all that much, since they're coming off soon too.

Not at all sure about that - I've been in many situations travelling with women friends I'm not romantically involved with where one or both of us has no pants on around the other, such as puttering around a hotel room, etc.

EDITED to add: And for me, in those situations, nice boxers in a dark color seem best.

Last edited:

dohare

Reaction score
What kind of briefs do you wear?

nothing fancy, adidas, jockey. whatever's comfortable. I had some hugo boss but they were cloth, I like the spandex/sport material best, lots of airflow and gentle on the goods.

They've actually done research on this- women apparently prefer boxer briefs, though I forget the margin. However, my view is that if it gets to the point where you're seeing each other's underwear, the style and condition don't really matter all that much, since they're coming off soon too.
that's interesting, I think its all about the age of the woman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads