• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Borrelli cutting corners in production?

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pocket square from borrelli and to my surprise i found that it wasn't hand rolled any more. At least not to my novice eye. I payed around $ 75 with todays currency (SEK) and for that price i expect more. I've tried to capture the work with my 2MP mobile camera without luck, but has anyone noticed the same lack of workmanship in their recent products? And oh, it's a one-sided print ps.
I find it a bit arrogant from their side. I went back to the store (I know the sales person rather well) and pointed out the fact. They said that borrelli insured that it was hand rolled but after a closer inspection they came to the same conclusion - that it was machine made.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sooo, why did you buy it? Why didn't you return it?

Taxler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atlantic herring
I recently purchased a pocket square from borrelli and to my surprise i found that it wasn't hand rolled any more. At least not to my novice eye. I payed around $ 75 with todays currency (SEK) and for that price i expect more. I've tried to capture the work with my 2MP mobile camera without luck, but has anyone noticed the same lack of workmanship in their recent products? And oh, it's a one-sided print ps.
I find it a bit arrogant from their side. I went back to the store (I know the sales person rather well) and pointed out the fact. They said that borrelli insured that it was hand rolled but after a closer inspection they came to the same conclusion - that it was machine made.

Aren't all printed PS's one-sided? If you print on both sides, the designs would show through and look sloppy.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is not the Borrelli name itself good enough for you?

And who cares about all this "hand" rolled stuff anyway?

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why even pay for Borrelli when you can get some nice Alfani or club room pocket squares from Macys?

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
Okay, I kept the ps just cos i liked the print, and maybe they are all one sided but stil, if their production costs are decreasing i would like that to be reflected in the price tag. If they began fusing their jackets i would probably abandon them, but the none-hand rolled ps isn't that a big deal. It still annoys me though.

josephrex

Reaction score
Is it the rolled blind stitch type machine or single needle machine stitches?

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
I wouldn't know, sorry. I think it's some kind of overlock. I guess that rule out a single needle machine

And sadly Alfani or club room ps aren't available where i am located. Northern europa.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, I kept the ps just cos i liked the print, and maybe they are all one sided but stil, if their production costs are decreasing i would like that to be reflected in the price tag. If they began fusing their jackets i would probably abandon them, but the none-hand rolled ps isn't that a big deal. It still annoys me though.

Well that was dumb. Now they will think you liked the machine-made PS and make more

Atlantic herring

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Well that was dumb. Now they will think you liked the machine-made PS and make more

You are right. The best thing to do right now to avoid the situation is to burn it in the Christmas tree.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't mind machine rolled pocket squares, if done well. Barbera does it also. Borrelli does fuse some of its jackets, FWIW.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are right. The best thing to do right now to avoid the situation is to burn it in the Christmas tree.

that wouldn't help, they still think you liked it. take it to the store and burn it in front of their eyes. then ask for a refund

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

laugh.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlesAlexander
Why even pay for Borrelli when you can get some nice Alfani or club room pocket squares from Macys?

Hving read this- I walked across the street to Macy's and checked them out. They might as well be made of sateen. Not a great product, IMO.

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Hving read this- I walked across the street to Macy's and checked them out. They might as well be made of sateen. Not a great product, IMO.

You do know I was being sarcastic right?
tongue.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads