• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Boots Seasonal?

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it OK to wear boots all year round, or are they seasonal limited to the winter?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was kinda wondering this myself. Last summer, for a gig, I wore black chelseas with jeans and a black t-shirt. It was about 90 degrees. I didn't really think about it until I got there and I felt (although I don't think I looked) out of place.

After this I realised that black boots / shoes seem out of place in the summer. Even at night. Boots may be ok but not black and most def with lighter colors and lighter fabrics.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ok all year round. I think the heavier ones should be reserved to colder weather, but that's about it. For example, right now I'm using my RL/C&J cordovan bucklebacks a lot (double soles, heavy cordovan), but in summer I will use my CT/Loake chelseas (thinner soles, thinner leather, somewhat more trim appearance) more to go with the lighter weight clothing I'll be wearing then.

But if it's actually hot out, it doesn't make sense to wear any boots if you could wear shoes instead.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear Chelsea and chukka all year round. But I reserve bal hi-boots and these puppies for winter:

p10003944lu1pi.jpg

Nashville

Reaction score
I live in Nashville , I know what I see and I know what I think, I say, "yes " go for it!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear ankle boots year round especially with anything casual.
Only in intense heat do I avoid boots.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wear them when you like. As others have indicated, they are only seasonal if they are actually uncomfortable.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wore chelsea boots to a club in Vegas in August, and got compliments fwiw.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Now what would the following people:

1. Empire Storm Troopers;
2. U.S. Marines;
3. Those who love to walk the streets in all leather;
4. Lumberjacks;
5. Plumbers;
6. Fishermen;
7. Electricians;
8. Hardhat workers;
9. Hunters; and,
10. Anglers

wear in Summer?

Besides, nowadays, with airconditioning, one can practically wear boots in the car, offices and shopping malls without much discomfort.

BTW, the most formal shoe is the dress boot; as far as I know, I do not know of any sartorial expert who has pronounced dress boots not to be worn in Summer as part of Morning Dress. But, perhaps someone could check on those etiquette people? Wonder what they have said about it.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends what clothes you wear with them I think. I'd have no problems wearing some chelseas with some season appropriate colors.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn it people. Why would you NOT wear boots all year round? Hell, back home it was well over 35 Celsius with massive amounts of humidity and never questioned the applicability of boots.
And now in Tucson, if I were to only wear when appropriate, I'd only wear boots for three weeks of the year
tongue.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on the boots. Some boots are decidedly seasonal like fleece lined or insulated are obviously winter boots. The classic lightweight desert boot seems more appropriate for summer wear except in mild climates. Many dress boots--chukkas, chelseas, etc.--strike me as fine for year-round wear.

The Happy Stroller

Reaction score
Absolutely valid point there, JLibourel.

Some boots are pretty seasonal, e.g., fur-lined mocassin-type boots for winter home use. The ones most suitable for all-year round wear tends to be those with which the user changes his type of socks rather than his shoes according to climatic change.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
I think it depends on the boots. Some boots are decidedly seasonal like fleece lined or insulated are obviously winter boots. The classic lightweight desert boot seems more appropriate for summer wear except in mild climates. Many dress boots--chukkas, chelseas, etc.--strike me as fine for year-round wear.

fredrik80

Reaction score
I wear chelsea boots year round, even in summer. I'd avoid dark suede boots though, they have that warm look to them that just dosent feel right. Light tan suede boots in summer are great though.

And sleek soles on the boots help aswell, no construction-worker soles!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics