• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

are bootcuts done?

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the bootcut trend almost dead or will it remain a classic style forever? ALthough they are nothing new, i noticed a decline in them for a while ago now.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. It's so done that you'll never see me in them again.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a classic style, it's what goes best with ... boots!

flarez on the other hand are out for a while, at least for men.

!luc

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
It's a classic style, it's what goes best with ... boots! flarez on the other hand are out for a while, at least for men. !luc
Agreed. Distressed bootcuts/flares were in for so long, so now it's all about unwashed tapered/straight legs instead. I bet in a few years the pendulum will return back again. Though I've always hated flares, I can't see myself wearing anything other than bootcuts with certain shoes, such as the classic desert boots.

jean_connoisseur23

Reaction score
no they are not....for me there are only 3 kinds of cuts...skinny, straight and bootcut

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont think theyre dead they just arent in style now. But I dont think anyone would be laughed at for sporting them

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they may be dead, but lots of people around here still wear them. of course i still see carpenter pants and jncos with dragon back pocket embroidery.

personally, ive never liked bootcuts, so it doesnt matter to me one bit.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
Jncos with dragon back pocket embroidery are out? Since when?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
jncos with dragon back pocket embroidery.

Hahahaha

EDIT: I just checked and they are still making those.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i rock my 72" flarez still wat u talkin bout

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tapered jeans look idiotic with boots. Therefore, bootcuts will never be out of style. Just keep the flare subtle, not bellbottom, and you're set.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Tapered jeans look idiotic with boots. Therefore, bootcuts will never be out of style. Just keep the flare subtle, not bellbottom, and you're set.
my 501XX 1947 looks pretty nice with boots too. It's a straight leg though.

!luc

mizanation

Reaction score
i prefer straight legs, but a slight flair never hurt nobody. straight legs tend to have a small flair effect anyways after bunching behind the knees happens. a slight bootcut will accentuate this flair and improve the look of someone with shorter legs.

if you look at somone who has a 36" inseam wear regular japanese repro straight legs, they look like slight bootcuts. when shorter people have to cuff or get these fixed-length jeans hemmed, they look like tapers. that's why a bootcut is favorable for some of us shorter people.

also, bootcuts tend to have skinnier thigh areas than straight legs which again is desirable for some.

so, to answer the question, bootcuts will never be completely out of style.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pairs of PDC which have a flared bootcut leg opening which is now a little too wide for my tastes.

Is it easy/cheap to have the leg opening taken in? I'd still like to keep it a bootcut; just a smaller one.

mizanation

Reaction score
it's easy and should be cheap to have the leg taken in a little. any alterations place can handle this.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads