1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

are bootcuts done?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by blackplatano, Aug 2, 2006.

1. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

Is the bootcut trend almost dead or will it remain a classic style forever? ALthough they are nothing new, i noticed a decline in them for a while ago now.

2. DNW

DNW Senior member

Yep. It's so done that you'll never see me in them again.

3. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

It's a classic style, it's what goes best with ... boots!

flarez on the other hand are out for a while, at least for men.

!luc

4. Babar

Babar Senior member

It's a classic style, it's what goes best with ... boots! flarez on the other hand are out for a while, at least for men. !luc
    Agreed. Distressed bootcuts/flares were in for so long, so now it's all about unwashed tapered/straight legs instead. I bet in a few years the pendulum will return back again. Though I've always hated flares, I can't see myself wearing anything other than bootcuts with certain shoes, such as the classic desert boots.

5. jean_connoisseur23

jean_connoisseur23 Senior member

no they are not....for me there are only 3 kinds of cuts...skinny, straight and bootcut

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I dont think theyre dead they just arent in style now. But I dont think anyone would be laughed at for sporting them

7. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

they may be dead, but lots of people around here still wear them. of course i still see carpenter pants and jncos with dragon back pocket embroidery.

personally, ive never liked bootcuts, so it doesnt matter to me one bit.

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior member

Jncos with dragon back pocket embroidery are out? Since when?

9. dusty

dusty Senior member

jncos with dragon back pocket embroidery.

Hahahaha

EDIT: I just checked and they are still making those.

10. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

i rock my 72" flarez still wat u talkin bout

11. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Tapered jeans look idiotic with boots. Therefore, bootcuts will never be out of style. Just keep the flare subtle, not bellbottom, and you're set.

12. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

Tapered jeans look idiotic with boots. Therefore, bootcuts will never be out of style. Just keep the flare subtle, not bellbottom, and you're set.
    my 501XX 1947 looks pretty nice with boots too. It's a straight leg though.

!luc

13. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

i prefer straight legs, but a slight flair never hurt nobody. straight legs tend to have a small flair effect anyways after bunching behind the knees happens. a slight bootcut will accentuate this flair and improve the look of someone with shorter legs.

if you look at somone who has a 36" inseam wear regular japanese repro straight legs, they look like slight bootcuts. when shorter people have to cuff or get these fixed-length jeans hemmed, they look like tapers. that's why a bootcut is favorable for some of us shorter people.

also, bootcuts tend to have skinnier thigh areas than straight legs which again is desirable for some.

so, to answer the question, bootcuts will never be completely out of style.

14. VMan

VMan Senior member

I have a few pairs of PDC which have a flared bootcut leg opening which is now a little too wide for my tastes.

Is it easy/cheap to have the leg opening taken in? I'd still like to keep it a bootcut; just a smaller one.

15. mizanation

mizanation Senior member

it's easy and should be cheap to have the leg taken in a little. any alterations place can handle this.

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

My diesels (which were my first and so far only pair of premium denim) have a slightly pronounced flare but I still love em!

17. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I don't like tapered jeans (never have) and I am so-so on straight legged jeans (yes, I only wear flarez) [​IMG]

18. blackplatano

blackplatano Senior member

I like straight legs but the problem with those is the shoes. Certain shoes would look out of proportion with a tapered or straight leg, this is where the bootcut comes in. It makes a lot of shoes look smaller and not as clown-ish.

on a side note, does julian red only make tapered legs?

19. whodini

whodini Senior member

I, and think quite a few other people here, have notice a general disdain for bootcuts in SF. I never really wore them until the craze began 4-5 years ago and since then I haven't bought a straight cut pair. It really has nothing to do with fashion or style, but rather comfort. I hated having to fix my narrow cuffs every few mins when I walked around so that they wouldn't bunch up before the tongues on my shoes. Or if the straight cut is too long then it looks baggy around the ankles, too short and you look like urkel with your socks showing. Bootcuts took care of all these annoyances for me so why would I ever change?

20. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

if you look at somone who has a 36" inseam wear regular japanese repro straight legs, they look like slight bootcuts. when shorter people have to cuff or get these fixed-length jeans hemmed, they look like tapers. that's why a bootcut is favorable for some of us shorter people.

Hmmm. I find quite the opposite. Being tall, Japanese repro straight legs (which actually taper from the thigh to the bottom) make you look like you are walking around on inverted cones, emphasing already long/thin legs. A slight bootcut some weight at the bottom and improves proportions overall.